Agency for the Performing Arts

James Gosnell

1. Staff Accountant

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in New York, NY

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent one-on-one training, gained an extraordinary amount of experience in Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Month-ending adjusting entries, and the importance of teamwork.

Cons

Not much downside in general. I left primary to focus on furthering my education, studying for my GMAT and getting into the graduate school I wish to be in while seeking for a position at a bigger firm to expand my accounting knowledge.

Advice to Management

Great staff, would love to keep working with the company if I did not attempt to pursue my masters degree at that moment.

2. Assistant

Current Employee - Agent Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Agent Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Agency for the Performing Arts

Pros

I really do love working here. APA is big enough agency to have a strong effect on the entertainment industry, but small enough to actually get to know everyone. Plus, you get to do actual agent work, and not be a mindless robot assistant like one of the bigger agencies.

Cons

Long hours sometimes, but that's like a lot of the entertainment business. The pay isn't much, but as cliche as it is, you get paid in experience.

Advice to Management

As with any job, more money would be appreciated. Also, maybe more events as a whole company? A company retreat would be awesome, and would let everyone connect.

3. Executive Assistant

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure to the industry. Make great contacts.

Cons

Long hours. High stress. Constant work needing to be done after hours and on the weekends.

Advice to Management

N/A

5. The company is a gateway to industry jobs, however it requires much hard work and a lo of time

I have been working at Agency for the Performing Arts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

you build skills, learn how to work with industry professionals, absorb valuable information, learn where you see yourself in the business.

Cons

The agency is understaffed in the mailroom, salary is at a bare minimum and you work 14 hour work days.

Advice to Management

hire more mailroom staff to make work days more manageable for others.

6. One of the more laid back Agency's compared to WME, ICM, or UTA.

Former Employee - Talent Agent Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Talent Agent Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to become an agent if you can find clients and bring in money.

Cons

No more than any other agency. Rub shoulders with the right people. Be detail oriented, know the market, make people like you, and bring in money. You'll be a golden calf, and you'll be treated like it within 5 years. Delayed gratification but that's likely anywhere you work.

Advice to Management

Protect your interests, but they know how to already.

7. Summer Intern

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Young employees, great exposure to the entertainment industry and amazing location.

Cons

Very long work hours for horrible pay and horrible culture. Many of the agents are extremely mean to their assistants and turn over is extremely high. That being said, most people are at APA to get into the entertainment industry, so for many, it is simply a stepping stone.

Advice to Management

Improve relations between employees, especially at the vertical level.

8. Summer Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Agency for the Performing Arts as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great way to learn the ins and outs of the ENTIRE entertainment industry--the genesis of a project begins at the agency. Great, friendly people.

Cons

as an intern, you are not paid and apparently pay is rather low as an assistant as well, just like most agency assistants.

9. Good connections, hard work, little pay

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Agency for the Performing Arts as an intern (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice office, valet parking, free pens, monthly free cake, great connections, good comradery

Cons

Poor pay, little chance of raises, small yearly bonuses, 401k not matched, minimal employee appreciation, no reliable method of conflict resolution, high stress, long hours, restricted vacation days

Advice to Management

n/a

Agencies are hard places to work, but this one's a little easier--and less respected.

Current Employee - Agent's Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Agent's Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Agency for the Performing Arts

Pros

While working at the agency, you meet a lot of others in the entertainment field and many move up in the field after working there. APA also promotes from within, so it's a good place to start if you want to be an agent. Compared to other agencies, APA is extremely laid back and employees are generally treated with respect. Agents' doors are always open.

Cons

As at any agency, the pay is very low and hours can be very long. I regularly worked 10-11 hour days. The agents are working in a competitive industry and are always trying to get ahead. Their stress gets passed on to their assistants, so the job is nerve-wracking and agents sometimes yell. Since APA is not as well-respected as other agencies, it might be harder to get a higher paying job after working there. I changed industries after working there, so I don't know.

Advice to Management

Senior Management tries to encourage low-level employees to talk with agents and to encourage a more relaxed environment. I think it achieves that, but it needs to work on establishing clear guidelines for procedures and a way for new employees to learn the guidelines. Not understanding the guidelines makes it impossible to do one's job and makes the agents furious, obviously.

It should hire more support staff so procedures can be followed and all work can be done effectively.

RSS Feed </> Embed