Agile-1

Janice Bryant Howroyd

Up and Down

Former Employee - Client Service Manager
    Former Employee - Client Service Manager

I worked at Agile-1 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of autonomy if you are honest, work hard and are an independent contributor.

Cons

Lots of executive management upheaval, with little to no consideration to impact it will have on the employees.

Comp for middle management rates literally $15-25,000 / year lower than competitors

Good VMS Tool < Bad Most everything Else

Former Employee - Senior Client Services Administrator in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Client Services Administrator in Richmond, VA

I worked at Agile-1 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The VMS tool is fairly user friendly. I had very good tech support that had to assist me, because even 5 months after passing my Admin certification, I was not granted my log in credentials.

Cons

Because they use a Citrix portal, it would take 6 clicks to drill down just to add an attachment I just saved to my desktop. As of Monday 8/25/14 they were still using Microsoft Office 2003. I was issued a Dell laptop, that had been discontinued over 11 years before I started in 2013.

Teach the upper management who swoop into Quarterly meetings onsite at the client, to not over-promise on things that Agile-1 can't deliver. Get rid of the Citrix portal, upgrade Miscrosoft Office. Agile-1 uses Office 2003(!) in 2014, and is indicative of how "cutting edge" this company is.

The cheapest company I ever worked for

I worked at Agile-1 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good VMS Technology, easy to use and customize. Personally a good learning experience for me to ensure I get promises in writing and not just rely on someone's word.

Cons

Company is cheap, cheap, cheap! Lured me in at a significant salary decrease with the promise of accelerated growth and other benefits that I should have insisted were put in writing before accepting the position. Pay is below market and advancement is only for those who have been there for 5-10 years plus.... Never heard of anyone in a good place there that was with the org less than 5 years. I am not so sure I buy some of the 5 star posts here.
    Aside from the hands on Director, there was no support from higher levels until things got ugly and then they look for the scape goat to please the client. Clients are generally not happy with service but not due to the people on the ground providing the service. It is due to keeping accounts short staffed to save money.

Your SW is terrific but majority of your accounts are in a bad state. Competing VMS orgs create deals/contracts that will allow them to be successful and I do not see that with Agile1. If your approach is to grow accounts and be world class then you have to plan for it properly. If you had more people focused on each account like other VMS orgs do, you will see much more growth and success. Right now, it appears you won most of your business by being the cheapest service provider and it shows in the results.

Very routine and monotonous, but with good benefits

Former Employee - Sourcing Intern in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Sourcing Intern in Torrance, CA

I worked at Agile-1 as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

High paying, good company benefits

Cons

Very routine and boring, I typed reports all day

Be more engaged with interns, let them do things that aren't just intern work

Leader In Vendor Management

Current Employee - Senior Validation PM in Whitehouse Station, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Validation PM in Whitehouse Station, NJ

I have been working at Agile-1 as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professional Payroll provider for contract positions

Cons

Remote teams, never met in person

None. Keep Up the good work

Company growing with no plan, no career path, and no commitment to internal employee development

I worked at Agile-1 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Creative and interesting work, amazing resources in the support departments, a great place for those looking to stay in one position for a long time.

Cons

Poor benefits, absent communication, no unified vision between leaders, no career advancement opportunities, no consistent direction from leadership, non-existent work-life balance.

The one thing this company has in abundance, but fails to capitalize on, is potential. This potential created a powerful drive to stay and succeed. Unfortunately, as a family run organization, a status quo mindset is firmly entrenched. The company, despite its now global presence, remains a small mom-and-pop shop in its attitude and operation. Communication can often stagnate and information hoarding is encouraged, hindering attempts at much needed transparency, vision, direction, training and, most importantly, team building. Teams must often operate as individual splinter cells. A more unified corporate approach with cross-teams and clearly defined roles and reporting structures, and a single vision could make all the difference.

Because family members and close friends occupy the executive and senior management positions, growth opportunities and career advancement initiatives are stifled. Most promotions are lateral. Too often, highly qualified colleagues have been passed by for advancement in order to install a friend or relative. And because senior leadership positions are handed down by appointment and relationship rather than merit or qualifications, you can expect to run into a lot of ego, not a lot of reasoned decision making.

If you work in any support or delivery department outside of sales, you can expect long work weeks, 60- to 80-hours for some, which include working on holidays. Some of the company's strongest leaders and most productive resources have left to pursue other opportunities, which has created new resource issues that have not been addressed.

Benefits are not competitive and the 401k plan is virtually non-existent, further sending the message that this is a job, not a long-term career. Despite these internal challenges, the work itself is interesting and the vast, unrealized potential of the wider company still remains attractive. If the leadership can focus on embracing change, modern business practices, new ideas and more controlled expansion efforts, enterprise-wide communication and visibility, this could be a phenomenal place to work.

Boring work; disliked culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I worked at Agile-1 as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The position was very hands-on, even as an intern. The salary was great for the position and there was a good amount of flexibility in hours. Certain employees were extremely welcoming and kind and it seemed as though there were definite groups of close friends within the office.

Cons

I didn't enjoy the culture of the company with the cubicle atmosphere; felt very isolated as an intern; wasn't given much actual work to do and spent much of the day drawing out projects so they took up more time. The company definitely prefers to hire family/friends. The technological solutions that it sells are beginning to become outdated, thus necessitating a revitalization if the company wishes to remain competitive.

Loved my team, company not so much.

Former Employee - Client Services Administrator in Claymont, DE
    Former Employee - Client Services Administrator in Claymont, DE

I worked at Agile-1 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family environment, enjoyed working with the team that I was assigned.

Cons

Constantly on-call, change of senior management which resulted in a negative change to work environment.

Less micro managing and more of developing a friendlier approach.

It just was very disappointing

I worked at Agile-1 as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They paid me more than my previous jobs. They also allowed me to work at some great companies.

Cons

It took me over a month to get my computer set up along with the correct paperwork in. Due to lack of information and correct documentation. This caused me to fall behind in my project.

A few months after leaving the company I was contacted saying that they did not send my paychecks correctly. So I had to give them money back. It is just painful to give money back out of your own pocket for their screw up.

I believe the company is so large that it is hard to manage. Maybe manage smaller regions of the country so that people are on the same page. I unfortunately do not know much about finances so I do not know how to clear up the giving back money problem but I could suggest having one billing system rather than 2. I had to fill time sheets out for an employer at a different time than a time sheet at Agile-1, so it made it difficult to track my hours because my hours were so irregular.

Unpleasant

Former Employee - Vendor Management in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Vendor Management in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Agile-1 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

non-management co-workers good people. Project interesting and stimulating. Potential for shared knowledge between books of business.

Cons

Confusing messages from management. The direction of strategy focus could change daily without notice with very little guidance from management. Did not receive written job offer until one week into my career at Agile1. Low salaries, ridiculously high health insurance. Trial by fire with tendency for management to chastise employee.

Note employees expected to hit the ground running - guide and encourage employee as first reaction rather than slay with condescending feedback and threat to fire.