Agilent Technologies

Updated October 23, 2014
3.6

Agilent Technologies CEO and Director Bill Sullivan
Bill Sullivan

Pros
  • This company has long been a shining star in "work/life balance" for its employees (in 116 reviews)

• Good work environment when I worked there, by that I mean the physical environment (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is challenging constant stream of top priority projects keep people working OT non stop (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Aging Company

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a young engineer in sales, there is a lot of opportunity in the older generation retiring. There is a lot of expertise and experience available

Cons

The company has an aging mindset and doesn't seem to be able adjust to getting, cultivating, and keeping young talent. The people that stay are complacent.

Be open with employees about career planning

Rapidly becoming "just another big tech company"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has long been a shining star in "work/life balance" for its employees. In many divisions there is a strong emphasis on allowing employees to work from home a couple days a week, and other flexible work schedules. Benefits are solid (but not great) with a 401k plan, mediocre health insurance, and even a small pension.

Within select divisions, some solid managers remain, and strive to make decisions that benefit both the customer and the employees working under them (more on this in "Cons"). There is a good opportunity for development and career progression here, but it has just as much to do with playing the "political" game as it does with developing your skill-set. That said, if you work hard, express interest in moving to a new role, most middle-managers do a good job of helping you get there!

Cons

This company has begun to slide - many of the old HP family have begun to retire, and have been replaced by management that has lost sight of "innovation." Instead, they have opted to go the way of many other big corporate tech entities, they simply purchase their new technologies and loosely integrate them into the "Agilent" brand.

When I was hired 3 years ago, there was a sense of stability, family, and shared pride in the company. Traditionally, Agilent had viewed itself a "flat" organization, where even someone working as a low-level individual contributor could voice their concerns to a Vice President, or even the CEO, and feel their voice was heard. Those days are long gone. The culture has been rapidly sliding to one of bitterness, where individual contributors see very little appreciation for their efforts and upper management cares only about padding their own bonuses and the bottom line/shareholders.

The company is re-organizing itself into a more industry-standard corporate hierarchy of "managers-managing-managers" with very few individual contributors at the bottom actually doing any work. This extremely top-heavy set-up leaves most managers more concerned with justifying their own existence, rather than actually managing their teams, leaving the individual contributors feeling lost, and fearing for their jobs.

Upper management (VP-level and above) is only concerned about wall street/stock value. They have completely lost site of the customer, and their employees. The company is very "lean" on individual contributors, leaving those in these roles overworked, and stretched too thin to really provide the customer with a good experience or solution. The result is that customer satisfaction is slipping, which will ultimately affect sales, and the stock price that they hold so dear.

3 years ago, I would have recommended this company to a friend in a heartbeat. I'd be less and less inclined to do so in the current climate.

I agree that shareholder value is important, but so is maintaining a talented and motivated employee base. Be aware that your corporate culture is shifting from one of pride in Agilent's accomplishments, to one of bitterness, lack of job security, and under-appreciation. This will result in a revolving door down the road, where you will be unable to maintain solid workers. Sometimes, sweeping changes are necessary to move a company forward and maintain relevance in the business world, but when the changes involve a massive overarching management structure with layoffs at the bottom, you will lose talent where it matters most - in your customer facing roles.

My advice is to look inside your company, and address the rapidly developing internal issues before a lack of pride in the company and a lack of innovation hurts Agilent where you will feel it - in market share, and stock price.

Not a good place to work.

Former Employee - Engineering in Lake Forest, CA
    Former Employee - Engineering in Lake Forest, CA

I worked at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits. Great employees. Good opportunities. Excellent market and business.

Cons

The employees are treated poorly. The work environment is hostile. The management for the Lake Forest and Folsom site looks down on employees. They are not open to any new ideas or suggestions. It is a very closed environment. Employees are afraid of sharing their ideas because of possible harsh consequences.

Consider employees as the great asset of the company as they should be.

Great Company

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Agilent encourages employees to learn and improve. They provide educational assistance for any skill job related. The leadership has an open door policy and makes themselves available for any concerns. Work-life balance is respected.

Cons

There are no cons at Agilent.

Agilent is OK, but not a career enhancer

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The work is relatively easy and working environment is calm and quiet. For the most part, taking initiative is appreciated, except by bosses that don't appreciate that quality in their people.

Cons

Managers are not real managers -- completely unskilled at managing people. Evidently managerial training is nonexistent. If you are looking to work for a "Leader" in the true sense, this is the not company you will find them.

First and foremost, bring back business HR and train managers on people management and Leadership. Secondly, tear down all the internal organizational barriers so you can serve the customers instead of bickering over who is supposed to 'own' this or that or pay for fixing the customer you broke. Lastly, create some excitement in the atmosphere. Go watch people as they walk around the site -- they seem 'dead'. people don't smile here. Whats up with that?

Mainstream big company

I have been working at Agilent Technologies

Pros

Excellent benefits at reasonable cost
    Opportunities
    Facilities

Cons

Bureaucracy - company moves at a snail's pace
    Highly political
    Adverse to change

Agient IT

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great gym, good location - center of Silicon Valley.

Cons

Everyone is on their own, very protective of what they do. Many old-timers that formed their own groups, hard to join in or get rewarded. Campus around the world and people are not very sensitive on meeting time - east coast team insisted 6:00AM PST meeting 4 times a week because east coast starts their work at 9am; however, no more meeting after 2PM PST because they are off by then. IT team too cheap to fly everyone together even for implementation, making it very difficult to run projects.
    You only get hired if you know someone in the house.

Management changes their minds a lot - one day you are a project manager and one day you should be a technical lead, you should be hand-off unless you need to be hand-on. People cannot switch this fast!

Over all a good company with a very political IT department

Former Employee - IT Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for since everything the company produces helps make the world a better place. You feel you are contributing to the world in a positive way and that provides a sense of satisfaction.

Cons

I worked in the IT department
    - Many old timers in IT leadership who promote/reward only those who are politically aligned with them. New talent is not rewarded or appreciated.
    - Expectation is that you work 24*7 (world wide IT with major locations in Santa Clara, Little Falls, Manesar(India), and Singapore.
    - All meetings are virtual...very rarely you get to see faces.
    - No culture in IT, no team building, very frugal, lost of secrets, political, 1% bonuses, $100 Starbucks cards for working 14-18 hours for 8 months on projects...no proportional reward to effort
    - Promotions only to those in the inner circle
    - Interviews for promotions are conducted just to ensure compliance with internal policies and then promotions are given to pre-determined individuals.

Please read my review and act accordingly to improve a great company.

Somewhere between "Good" and "Meh"

Current Employee - R&D Software Engineer in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - R&D Software Engineer in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Agilent has a pretty good work-life balance (as everyone is so fond of repeating whenever they give a chance). Flexible working hours, on-site workout facilities and classes, and plenty of places to go and chat with coworkers outside of your cubicle. Everyone I've met has been amiable, and I've never come across any "slave-driving" managers.

Cons

Not the best pay given the cost of living, and profit-sharing is a joke. Management is very focused on shareholder value above employee compensation (or morale, in some cases), leading to some friction between the different levels of the workforce. Also, there are cubicles.

Quit trying to play coy and just admit that stock price is the most important part of your job. Stop pretending that employees come first. Also, get rid of stack ranking; all it does is destroy employee morale while providing nothing.

Great People, Work/Life Balance, Location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. This is the one company I know that actually *does* live its values. 2. The work-life balance is so ingrained in the culture that it's just "how we do things". 3. I never expected to be here this long; I've been able to change my job every three years or so.

Cons

We've still got employees who oppose new ideas with, "Well, at HP we..." or "Bill & Dave wouldn't have done it that way" ... I'm way past tired of that.

You can better balance the short-term and long-term so that we're not so very beholden to the quarterly Wall Street expectations. We are a long term play; we need investors who understand that.

Agilent Technologies Photos