Agilent Technologies

Updated December 20, 2014
3.5

Agilent Technologies CEO and Director Bill Sullivan
Bill Sullivan

Pros
  • This company has long been a shining star in "work/life balance" for its employees (in 117 reviews)

• Good work environment when I worked there, by that I mean the physical environment (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is challenging constant stream of top priority projects keep people working OT non stop (in 13 reviews)

• Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Agient IT

Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - IT Business Analyst in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great gym, good location - center of Silicon Valley.

Cons

Everyone is on their own, very protective of what they do. Many old-timers that formed their own groups, hard to join in or get rewarded. Campus around the world and people are not very sensitive on meeting time - east coast team insisted 6:00AM PST meeting 4 times a week because east coast starts their work at 9am; however, no more meeting after 2PM PST because they are off by then. IT team too cheap to fly everyone together even for implementation, making it very difficult to run projects.
    You only get hired if you know someone in the house.

Management changes their minds a lot - one day you are a project manager and one day you should be a technical lead, you should be hand-off unless you need to be hand-on. People cannot switch this fast!

Good Company to work for, not great

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineering in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Agilent Technologies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Established, well-known company that looks good in resume
    Nice campus and work environment
    Many interesting projects, though not many technical challenges

Cons

Not much Career Growth
    Workforce very mature

Great team environment

Current Employee - Scientist in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the location to the 280, personal growth is encouraged, Starbucks, good facilities and quiet work environment.

Cons

Average food in cafeteria

More vacation

Over all a good company with a very political IT department

Former Employee - IT Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for since everything the company produces helps make the world a better place. You feel you are contributing to the world in a positive way and that provides a sense of satisfaction.

Cons

I worked in the IT department
    - Many old timers in IT leadership who promote/reward only those who are politically aligned with them. New talent is not rewarded or appreciated.
    - Expectation is that you work 24*7 (world wide IT with major locations in Santa Clara, Little Falls, Manesar(India), and Singapore.
    - All meetings are virtual...very rarely you get to see faces.
    - No culture in IT, no team building, very frugal, lost of secrets, political, 1% bonuses, $100 Starbucks cards for working 14-18 hours for 8 months on projects...no proportional reward to effort
    - Promotions only to those in the inner circle
    - Interviews for promotions are conducted just to ensure compliance with internal policies and then promotions are given to pre-determined individuals.

Please read my review and act accordingly to improve a great company.

Somewhere between "Good" and "Meh"

Current Employee - R&D Software Engineer in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - R&D Software Engineer in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Agilent has a pretty good work-life balance (as everyone is so fond of repeating whenever they give a chance). Flexible working hours, on-site workout facilities and classes, and plenty of places to go and chat with coworkers outside of your cubicle. Everyone I've met has been amiable, and I've never come across any "slave-driving" managers.

Cons

Not the best pay given the cost of living, and profit-sharing is a joke. Management is very focused on shareholder value above employee compensation (or morale, in some cases), leading to some friction between the different levels of the workforce. Also, there are cubicles.

Quit trying to play coy and just admit that stock price is the most important part of your job. Stop pretending that employees come first. Also, get rid of stack ranking; all it does is destroy employee morale while providing nothing.

Excellent prior to the split from HP

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time

Pros

Interesting work is available to challenge engineers.

Cons

Lower than competative wages for most US employees except very high level management.

Focus on innovation not on cost cutting. Value employees and pay above average compensation. Rebalance age distribution in US and Europe.

Great People, Work/Life Balance, Location

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. This is the one company I know that actually *does* live its values. 2. The work-life balance is so ingrained in the culture that it's just "how we do things". 3. I never expected to be here this long; I've been able to change my job every three years or so.

Cons

We've still got employees who oppose new ideas with, "Well, at HP we..." or "Bill & Dave wouldn't have done it that way" ... I'm way past tired of that.

You can better balance the short-term and long-term so that we're not so very beholden to the quarterly Wall Street expectations. We are a long term play; we need investors who understand that.

Agilent Technologies- a good place to work, but struggles a bit to adjust with the volatile market.

Current Employee - R&D Software Engineer in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - R&D Software Engineer in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall a good company with a nice working atmosphere and facilities, knowledgable experienced employees for most part. Flex hours allow for a nice work/life balance, pension and 401K, profit sharing, and reduced medical benefits.

Cons

Pay not the greatest, but comparable. Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees. Gross mismanagement at the upper level with failed acquisitions/outsourcing and corporate greed. Too much emphasis on bean counting and not enough on quality, customer satisfaction, or employee retention. Top share of Life Science marketplace is in jeopardy due to these poor policies and decisions.

Now that the 'split' is over, turn the focus from cost reductions back to quality, and customer/employee satisfaction. Do more research or investigate fully before any future acquisitions. Profit sharing has been in the toilet since the latest mergers, and wages have been stagnant for some time, but CEO's and boardmembers continue to enjoy ridiculous salaries and bonuses.

Overall would recommend

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Field Service Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Agilent Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great people to work with
    - Overall good values and integrity, at least in the Field Services department
    - Flexible working hours, though lots of overtime

Cons

- No clear path for career advancement/promotion
    - Not many valuable leadership opportunities
    - Not too much contact with colleagues in the field (can be considered a pro to some)

- Try to promote/value/challenge staff more. Agilent seems to do a great job hiring. I have no complaints about any one I have had to deal with in the organization, but Agilent needs to improve on retaining people because of lack of structure in valuing and challenging their workforce.

Great culture and poeple

I have been working at Agilent Technologies

Pros

Dedicated and friendly poeple/envirornment
    Work-life balance

Cons

limited pay increases
    quite freq layoffs

focus on growing company organically

Agilent Technologies Photos