Agilent Technologies

Bill Sullivan

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great People, Work/Life Balance, Location

Santa Rosa, CA

Pros1. This is the one company I know that actually *does* live its values. 2. The work-life balance is so ingrained in the culture that it's just "how we do things". 3. I never expected to be here this long; I've been able to change my job every three years or so.

ConsWe've still got employees who oppose new ideas with, "Well, at HP we..." or "Bill & Dave wouldn't have done it that way" ... I'm way past tired of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou can better balance the short-term and long-term so that we're not so very beholden to the quarterly Wall Street expectations. We are a long term play; we need investors who understand that.

Somewhere between "Good" and "Meh"

R&D Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsAgilent has a pretty good work-life balance (as everyone is so fond of repeating whenever they give a chance). Flexible working hours, on-site workout facilities and classes, and plenty of places to go and chat with coworkers outside of your cubicle. Everyone I've met has been amiable, and I've never come across any "slave-driving" managers.

ConsNot the best pay given the cost of living, and profit-sharing is a joke. Management is very focused on shareholder value above employee compensation (or morale, in some cases), leading to some friction between the different levels of the workforce. Also, there are cubicles.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to play coy and just admit that stock price is the most important part of your job. Stop pretending that employees come first. Also, get rid of stack ranking; all it does is destroy employee morale while providing nothing.

A nice warm blanket.

Expert R&D Hardware Engineer (Current Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsThey still take care of the non-tangibles: yoga classes, soccer field, cafeteria, etc. Good work-life balance.

ConsSome people aren't motivated to work. Pace can be slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter benefits. 6k family deductible for medical insurance?!?
    Better accountability. Some people have become too good at avoiding hard work.
    Better strategy. With a T&M industry growth rate of 2.5%, you have to be visionary when it comes to product planning.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Solid. Honest. Nurturing management team.

R&D Manager (Former Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsManagers treat people with respect. A long history and storied culture. A global engineering company that cultivates excellent transferable skills.

ConsMeasurement hardware is a hard to defend market. Focus on operations has led to divestitures that may play well to The Street, but lead to challenges for current employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aggressive in growing, not divesting. Espouse a vision that retains talent.

production, shipping and receiving

Assembler (Former Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

Proscompany with a lot of opportunities to demonstrate I want to grow up

ConsI don't have comments for this question!

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Interesting work and good life balance

Advanced R&D (Current Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsFlexibility in getting your work done is a plus. The people that work here are fantastic.

ConsGrowth of pay smaller than other locations

A great place to work, it feels like I'm part of a family at this company

R&D Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsFantastic people, great atmosphere, flexable hours, worklife balance, free fitness classes, basketball, ping pong, golf league overall a really fun place to work

ConsFrequency layoffs, below average salaries

It's been a great company, hope it continues after the new identity...

Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsAmazing group of people to work with. Very professional working environment.

ConsLack of growth opportunities. Losing some cultural values with exit of older employees and the arrival of the new generation. Older employees emphasized friendship and mentoring where as the new generation is more focused on their own little world.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to seek out individuals with growth potential and develop them to lead the company into the future. They have the HP/Agilent cultural values and will help instill them in new employees. Treat employees with the same respect as investors/share holders. Share holders are important but without a happy work force, the company won't move forward.

Good culture, if a bit laid back

Program Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Rosa, CA

ProsSolid management culture that respects individuals and work / life balance.
    Career HP/Agilent folks are great mentors.

ConsIs less aggressive in pursuit of M&A integration.
    Career HP/Agilent bench is deep.

A slow place to work with not so good employee benefit .....

Santa Rosa, CA

ProsNice people to work around. Good environment. You have enough freedom and time to do your work.

ConsBad employee benefit and bad high level management. Company is going to divid by two and they are pround of it? They didn't realize that company is already small enough?

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you know what's the value of your employee? Don't lie to people or make the target/ things you can't achieve.

Worked for Agilent Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Agilent Technologies reviews and ratings in Santa Rosa, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Agilent Technologies CEO Bill Sullivan. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Agilent Technologies employees.