Agilent Technologies

Agilent Technologies Reviews in Wilmington, DE

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Agilent Technologies CEO and Director Bill Sullivan

Bill Sullivan

Pros
  • This company has long been a shining star in "work/life balance" for its employees (in 108 reviews)

• Good work environment when I worked there, by that I mean the physical environment (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life Balance sometimes out of balance (in 10 reviews)

• Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights
18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Agilent Technologies- a good place to work, but struggles a bit to adjust with the volatile market.

R&D Software Engineer (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsOverall a good company with a nice working atmosphere and facilities, knowledgable experienced employees for most part. Flex hours allow for a nice work/life balance, pension and 401K, profit sharing, and reduced medical benefits.

ConsPay not the greatest, but comparable. Upper management runs the business based on politics for shareholders, not customers or employees. Gross mismanagement at the upper level with failed acquisitions/outsourcing and corporate greed. Too much emphasis on bean counting and not enough on quality, customer satisfaction, or employee retention. Top share of Life Science marketplace is in jeopardy due to these poor policies and decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow that the 'split' is over, turn the focus from cost reductions back to quality, and customer/employee satisfaction. Do more research or investigate fully before any future acquisitions. Profit sharing has been in the toilet since the latest mergers, and wages have been stagnant for some time, but CEO's and boardmembers continue to enjoy ridiculous salaries and bonuses.

13 Years of Layoffs have left a Toxic Shell

Field Marketing (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsNice mono-culture
    If you are Female or Gay it is Great
    In the heart of Santa Clara with Easy freeway access

Cons13 years of layoffs and spinoffs have left nothing but a toxic shell dedicated to pulling money out for the shareholders and thereby driving executive bonus plans
    Bill Sullivan sees employees, especially those in the US as a huge liability
    Benefits have been cut to the bone and the cuts keep coming
    Small raises for only the top 5%, everyone else goes begging
    Management cannot make even small decisions quickly
    The environment is actively hostile to non-managers over the age of 40
    The company has been under Reduction In Force (RIF) since 2000 and has "grown" from 51,000 to 17,000 employees

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and look at your products and employees.

The product line is stagnent

The employees are 9-5'ers with no incentive to do anything new because innovation and initiative are CRUSHED.

Hard to beat Agilent for a solid long term place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsGrowth is due both to acquisition and organic growth. Everyone will agree that it is the individuals that make working together the best. There is solid history from HP and Agilent both that contribute to a deep corporate memory. We really do make the best in the industry.

ConsNot to say there haven't been downsizing and early retirement programs in the past.
    While the benefits are reported as being "among the leaders", it is not Lake Woebegon, and it seems like many of the best benefits are eroding. The gap between rich and poor in society is reflected in bonus pay and salary between management and individual contributors.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsourcing corporate services leads to poor service and distributes inefficiency making up the difference among all the workers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsThey provide good benefits the employees, but lately are no as good as before. Is a big company so there is many positions available.

ConsUse too much Agencies companies that are not professional. Some departments they don't hire someone unless is by one of those agencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse less Agencies companies

Transformative role during a significant change for the organization and 2008 recession effects

Program Manager (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsProvided you are able to connect with the right people and demonstrate value for bottom line you are on the way to a good, career-growing experience. Amazing individuals and even teams still carry proudly a distilled HP Way

ConsStatus-quo happens with close-ranking effects, yet change does take place too

Senior Customer Service

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsCorporate Company. Good for resume.

ConsThere is no good management. No processes either.

Agilent. Status quo

R&D (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsBenefits, profits sharing, flexible hours

ConsHealth benefits getting worse every year.. might be better to get ACA.
    Profit sharing based on ROIC, if there is an acquisiion it is severely hurt. Has been the case for the last two years.
    Flexible hours depend on the job and manager.

Raises not given often "due to the poor economy". When they do its very small.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo upper management: share the wealth how is it ok for you to make 10x+ more than the average worker who can barely get by in a twobincome household. Agilent is not alone its a culture of corporate greed.
    Also stop outsourcing Android sending jobs overseas. It might help profits but how much is enough? Its companies like you who are contrihutjng to the horrible economy.
    STOP decreasing benefits, making us pay more for less. With higher cost of everything and hardly any raises the last the ten years or so its as if we are making less.
    They probably know this but again.. every company is doing it is its ok

Overall positive experience: rough seas navigators may be thrilled

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsExcellent yet a bit late decision to spin off electronic T&M group
    Great individuals and teams around the world do know how to deliver amazing results
    Very few senior managers are excellent in mentoring new employees and adopting change

ConsSome long-time and/or senior employees (especially from larger sites) have a well established network, influencing or trying to control key changes in major initiatives as they see fit - expect the unexpected

Advice to Senior ManagementAccelerate a true adoption of younger generation(s) in senior management
    Continue staying focused on growth, innovation and superior operational results

mediocre salaries and raises and no advancement opportunities

Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsFlexible work schedules allow you to have a good work life balance. I had no problem spending time with my family, making doctors appoinments, kids recitals etc. They provide a great environment for innovation and thinking outside the box. They support you in these efforts and reward you with small trinkets and gift cards. You come up with a way to save them say 50k a year and they give you say a 25 dollar gift card(for example). It took me way too long to realize that I had to get another job so that I could reach my financial and lifestyle asperations. However, they did throw some great employee parties with good food, good music and alcohol on the company premises which made for some awesome times.

ConsPoor pay and raise structure. No advancement for the average Joe. Political/favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic to new hires about the potential for career growth and salary increase opportunities.

Great people, rich culture.

Customer BI (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsPeople working here are very knowledgeable and ready to help, very friendly and comfort working environment. The new employee training is very systematic and can cover almost all aspects. Very supportive for self-development.

ConsReally don't see much that I don't like here. One thing is the average age of the employees is a little higher than other companies, especially small companies or start-ups, so if looking for a place to have lots of "fun" with your colleagues, probably this is not the right one.

Worked for Agilent Technologies? Contribute to the Community!