Agilysys Reviews

74 reviews filtered by
2.8
Agilysys President and Chief Executive Officer James H. Dennedy
James H. Dennedy

Pros
  • Good people in all offices working hard (in 3 reviews)

• I've had a great experience learning a lot and making lasting connections with so many great people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has turned over three times in the last 6 years (in 9 reviews)

• Senior management has no clue what is going on at the field level (in 4 reviews)

1. Good Place to work

I have been working at Agilysys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most products are very solid. Easy to get time off when you need it. Benefits are decent. Pay is pretty good, and there are opportunities for raises, and some advancement.

Cons

Management seems to value people who suck up, more than those that actually do good work. Hard work is recognized occasionally, but sucking up seems to be a far better way to get recognized.

Check out the actual work that is done, not just what you are told is done.

2. Extremely Inept Senior Leadership Team Dooms Fantastic Market Dominance Opportunity

I have been working at Agilysys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Actual employees are generally very good people that have applicable skills and care about the customer. They're good at their jobs and are seeking the leadership and strategic focus that great companies possess.

Cons

Executive leadership has no clue how to run a company and it shows. Management is focused on the street results solely and does not invest in its most critical assets - the employees. It's painfully obvious that the leadership team is incompetent and the way they "fix" their egregious strategic errors and management missteps is to continually cut staff, increase already unrealistic sales quota's and and continually reorganize. There is no real follow-through or long term strategy or cohesive vision.

The development organization is a mess as well. The tech exec staff are all self-centered, egotistical know it all's that know absolutely nothing about the hospitality industry and treat our long-term customers like they owe us a debt of gratitude for being a customer. It's really quite sad how they have recently alienated customers that have been with the business for over a decade. I guess the plan is to get new customers at the expense of our loyal existing clients. Again, mismanagement at the executive level.

Sell the company to an organization that understands how to run a business, cultivate and train their employee's and provide a realistic and attainable corporate strategy.

3. Not the place it use to be. Look elsewhere if you want a longtime job.

Current Employee - Hard Worker
    Current Employee - Hard Worker

I have been working at Agilysys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Maybe the pay is good. Some managers really care but not the top level.

Cons

Use to be a great place to work but not these days. Lots of BS about how the staff is the key to success but not the case. Even the market knows this company is falling fast. Stock dropping quicker than staff. Latest market word is sell while you can get some value for that paper. Staff forces to hourly but some can't get 40 hours without top management complaining.

If you look when this mess started it would be when the top restructured. Jim Dennedy may have some good ideas but he sure can't run a company. It is sad that the board doesn't see this. Loyal long time staff are getting forced out as it is not about the staff but about the buck. Customers are getting upset because we cannot provide the level of service we have in the past. They drive everyone to bill for all time trying to assist the customer but the customer doesn't want to pay..

5. Lacking in ethical upper management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Agilysys full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Agilysys will provide you with a DIY culture that will make you either very self sufficient or leave you wondering if this company is the right fit for you (due to lack of a training department, trainer, or positive direction from management to show you how to resolve challenges).

Cons

Upper management does not have a plan or strategy.

They are very unethical, advertising an "Open Door" policy but are unwilling to fix actual issues. The phrase "The customer is always right" is likely on a plaque somewhere in Agilysys. The upper management will bend over backwards to allow customers to have their way; failing this, if something goes wrong, they will be the first to blame a resource who may not have had any control over the customer relations (Or it may have been the customer's fault to begin with!).

They also play favorites, and this treatment of employees is reflected down to their middle management.

Work-Life balance is a joke for people who work outside of the office. Upper management will promote a work-life balance, but then support a schedule having people working 4 weeks straight with 1 day off before the next work day begins.

Executives should lead their subordinates better... not just by example, but actual coaching, accountability, and follow through. They need to actually show employees their 5 year plan and not just say "Our 5 year plan is to double our marketshare". And if they actually want to gain employee trust again, they need to fully investigate all inappropriate behavior and work towards correcting it, including their own.

If they want to actually promote a work-life balance, they need to hold all teams within the same regard. Office workers get a 2 days weekend (Managers especially), so all workers should at least be held with the same regard. People do have lives outside of work.

Poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Agilysys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

For over a decade it was a great company to work for. The acquisitions mostly made sense and the community was great. Good people.

Cons

The last few years has been a downward spiral under the new management structure in Atlanta. I would not recommend this company any more.

Listen to what your workers say. The shareholders are not the only people that matter.

Great company serious about making great software for the hospitality industry

I have been working at Agilysys full-time

Pros

The company has a long history of software products for the hospitality industry. But in the last 2 years, they have really made that the core focus of the company. It is really exciting to see the level of investment the company is making in its current and future technologies to drive innovation with a a great customer base.

Cons

The company is going through a transition and that can be hard on people. A focus on being a cutting edge technology company requires not only buy in from everyone but active investment in everyone and by everyone to make changes. It takes time and that can be frustrating or exciting depending on how hard you work on being part of the future.

Continue to communicate the strategy and highlight what people can do to help make the vision a reality. A little less numbers focused and more people focused.

8. Only concerned with bottom line

I have been working at Agilysys

Pros

Good amount of PTO provided.

Cons

Profess to be flexible but aren't.

Need to follow through, be proactive as opposed to reactive, be honest.

An established and stable company builiding software for the hospitality industry

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Agilysys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is using new and exciting technology for it's product line. They've invested in all products and people and I see some great capabilities coming soon. The leadership is technology focused and have a strong drive to deliver new products and features to the market. I have access to training resources and projects to apply learnings. The culture in engineering is collaborative and I'm learning from my peers and contributing daily.

Cons

There is a strong drive to deliver products - this comes at a cost of workload at times but it's similar to other companies I've worked for in the software industry. Benefits could be better. Corporate is old school and moves slow. The nerf wars can be chaotic.

Need to provide better benefits.

Bellevue office is great

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Agilysys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In Bellevue we operate a bit differently. It feels like a startup.
    One we also have most of the technology senior leadership here so we're well-represented for not being at HQ.
    We have regular morale events.
    People are generally pretty friendly and dedicated to the cause
    I'm generally happy with my base pay

Cons

We have those short-walled cubes and are pretty packed in
    Not a lot of perks like MSFT or Goog or FB.
    Corp IT management is disorganized
    Benefits are just ok

I'm not very clear on how promotions happen even though I manage a team
    I'd love a healthcare plan option that's not high-deductible

Engineering SaaS offering to bringing the hospitality industry into the 21st century

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Agilysys full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I work in the Bellevue office where most of the core engineering is located. The team has a start-up environment feel - everything moves very fast. Smart / dedicated engineering team. Teams and individual are empowered to do the right thing, and held accountable for the quality of their work / contribution. Leadership is doing a good job of balancing / prioritizing investment in in-market product v. the vNext Saas offerings.

Cons

As with any start-up, the culture and processes is work-in-progress - needs to mature (in the right ways). We are "agile" - which translates to "we're not always sure what we are doing... but let's hurry up". The office is a bit out of the way (in Eastgate), bit drabby and getting crowded. There are way too many contractors v. FTE which impacts the office culture (and long term success).

Be more engaged with the people and culture - don't be so distant.