Agnes Scott

Updated February 20, 2015
Updated February 20, 2015
3.7

Elizabeth Kiss

Working as a research assistant provides wonderful work-study and mentorship opportunities.

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Decatur, GA

I worked at Agnes Scott part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work closely with professors, great networking connections, flexible hours, excellent mentorship opportunities

Cons

Hours are limited, salary growth is limited, few opportunities to change positions, hours can be inconsistent

It would be great if there was a way to get more consistent hours when working with professors. Students have the opportunity to work up to 20 hours each pay-period, but that can be significantly reduced if the professor does not provide 20 hours worth of work.

The values are there but need to be implemented from the ground (support staff) up

I have been working at Agnes Scott part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am an Alum of Agnes Scott, and I was able to work there throughout my entire undergraduate career. Some of the things that I enjoyed most during my time there are the beautiful campus, students and staff are generally very nice and the atmosphere is one of a kind.

Cons

On the other hand, the college does not pay as well as they should. All support staff ( whether administrative or facilities) are over worked and not given living wage. Many of the staff that I spoke with, and have worked at the college for over 10 years, have not received a raise since they began working for the college.

Respect the work of the support staff and applaud their dedication by offering raises and granting workers living wage.

No room for career growth

I have been working at Agnes Scott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the college environment is quite relaxed. The college offers flex time, full one-hour lunches and a very responsive Staff Council. Employees have very good benefits and free access to Snap Fitness. The dining hall offers $3 lunches. We recently received a 3% pay raise.

Cons

Leadership is in disarray and stuck in the mindset of "this is always how we've done things". There is obvious poor planning among directors and vice presidents. I've noticed that big events, such as commencement, are not even thought of until a few weeks out. This causes a great rush of hurried, frantic activity. Everything is done at the last minute. Some directors are promoted to vice president level without due cause and situations are not handled by HR properly. There are large salary discrepancies. Everyone either has the title of "director" or is just a lowly administrator. There is no discernible career progression. Once you are hired in a position, there is very little chance of rising higher in that department. Overall, a frustrating place to work.

If you se a job here, SNAG IT!

I have been working at Agnes Scott part-time

Pros

leadership, bright staff and faculty, passion

Cons

work-life balance (if you're not an academic this is a challenge)

Excellent experience, great work environment

Current Employee - Peer Tutor for the Center for Writing and Speaking in Decatur, GA

I have been working at Agnes Scott part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Agnes Scott College is dedicated to helping their students gain necessary and helpful learning experiences in various departments on campus. I worked in Technology Production Services as a student assistant for two years and with the Center for Writing and Speaking as a tutor, and have been fortunate to learn how to work in a team oriented environment and provide good customer service. I really enjoyed working at Agnes because my coworkers as well as management were fair and consistent in scheduling hours, so maintaining a good work/school balance was very achievable. While there was no room for student workers to advance in the departments they work for, in some instances, the work experience gained is completely applicable to real world jobs. My current employer recruits through Agnes Scott, so there are many opportunities for students to find work outside of campus as well.

Cons

The pay is low. Even though I had excellent work experiences I feel that I did an large amount of work for very little pay. I worked for minimum wage as well as about a dollar above minimum wage hourly for a maximum of 30 hours weekly. There also is no ability for advancement in student jobs or pay raises, which is due to the College's recent budgeting decreases.

Great Community

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, GA

I have been working at Agnes Scott full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

working with the students and fellow employees

Cons

Long hours depending on your department does not equal the salary compensation offered

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Decatur, GA

I have been working at Agnes Scott full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great cafeteria food with $3 lunch for all staff and faculty, low parking fees compared to other colleges, great location, sense of community, blue jean friday, friendly atmosphere, safe campus

Cons

The college is behind the times in some areas, limited or no wifi, lack of office space in many departments, deferred maintenance in a lot of buildings

There is a lot of talk about empowering female students, I think the college could do more to empower female staff and faculty members by closing the salary gap between men and women, focusing on internal promotions and providing continuing education and training.

Great place to teach!

Current Employee - Professor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Professor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Agnes Scott full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great students and great atmosphere.

Cons

I have no cons to give.

Not the best place to work.

Current Employee - Payroll Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Payroll Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Agnes Scott

Pros

35 hr work week, flex work schedule

Cons

Plantation mentality, favorites, prejudice, unequal distribution of wealth

Not managers

Pool

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Decatur, GA
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Decatur, GA

I worked at Agnes Scott

Pros

Pretty secure job, pay was above mininum wage, managers were pretty good about making allowances for student schedules, seniority means you get a better schedule

Cons

No rotations allowed for lifeguards, the other lifeguards could be lazy, it was REALLY hard to find a replacement guard in the event of an emergency,

Lifeguards- especially the younger and newer ones- should be alert no matter what the circumstances. Pay should also be a little higher to promote a living wage

Agnes Scott Photos

Main Hall
The gazebo in the main quad
View from the alumnae house looking at the dining hall

+ Add Photo