Agora - MD Reviews

Reset
4.4
Myles Norin
1 Rating

1. Top-notch place to work (Publishing Services)

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Publishing Services (an affiliate of Agora, Inc) is truly a top-notch place to work. They care about their employees and sincerely want them to grow and succeed. I enjoy having the freedom to make decisions and actually put them into motion. No hassles with cutting through red tape. The company is continually growing, and you can’t beat working in the charming Mt Vernon historic district.

Cons

This company isn't for everyone. You need to be flexible, self-motivated and able to work in a loosely structured environment.

2. Amazing Experience- Agora Financial

Current Employee - Managing Director in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Agora Inc, specifically the Agora Financial division has been an amazing career move. I am surprised daily by the amount of new ideas and amazing people that work in our Mt Vernon office. If you want to surround yourself with smart people who are passionate about their careers then Agora Inc and Agora Financial are worth exploring.

Cons

If you arent motivated or arent willing to grow then Agora Inc may not be the right fit for you.

Advice to Management

Named Best Place to Work in Baltimore by the Baltimore Sun almost yearly... its hard to improve on this winning formula.

3. Great place to work for direct response marketers!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Agora (NewMarket Health) is a great place to work. It is a fast pace and fun environment. Since we are a direct response business we are constantly testing new ideas. This type of environment opens the door to all employees to share their ideas and to test them. The overall culture here is amazing. Everyone works together, values ideas and continues to look for ways to grow the business.

Cons

I have no cons to share!

Fantastic Place to Work (Money Map Press)

Current Employee - Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Editor in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at Agora (Money Map Press) has been an invigorating change of pace from the companies I have worked at in the past. I feel like management really appreciates the hard work and dedication of employees, values ideas and innovation, and creates a supportive atmosphere in which employees feel motivated to achieve great things. People are constantly looking for better ways to do things instead of getting stuck in a pattern of "we do it that way because we just always have." It's also a fun place to work, with lots of perks (company outings, holiday parties [yes, plural], etc.). In addition, the Mt. Vernon campus is just gorgeous and makes for a very beautiful work environment. I had heard about Agora over the years and always wondered what it would be like to work there. Now I know and I love it!

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind!

Working at Agora - The Oxford Club

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been here awhile and I've seen a lot of people grow from entry level to heads of their department. The Oxford Club gives you the opportunity to explore and find out what your passion is.

Cons

I think that people who need someone to tell them what to do all the time wouldn't do well here. We value individuality and looking outside the box.

Advice to Management

Don't forget where it all started... no matter how big we get

Great place to work (in fact, I came BACK to work here)

Current Employee - Franchise Development Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Franchise Development Manager in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Oxford Club, and affiliate of Agora Inc., is a great place to work. In fact, I came BACK to Agora after working here from 2004-2008. After working at a couple, large companies for a few years, I wanted to come back to Agora because of the overall entrepreneurial culture, the work/life balance, the opportunity to work with really good and engaged colleagues, and to be empowered to move forward with ideas. Really can't think of a better place to work if you are looking to learn, contribute, and grow in any number of capacities!

Cons

Not coming back to work here sooner!

Aug 12, 2015

Well, we're very glad to have you back. Thanks so much for taking the time to post a review!

8. Great Company if you are Independent and Motivated

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and Amazing location. You really have to be able to take control of your own projects. Not much micro-management

Cons

Not to much feedback on performance

Advice to Management

none as of now

Best Employer in Baltimore!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Why is Agora the Best Employer in Baltimore? Simply put...They understand and value the importance of a work life balance!

Cons

During my time here at Agora, I have not encountered a "con", its an amazing place to work!

Aug 12, 2015

In response to both your "pros" and your "cons", we're going to do our best to keep it that way. It's the least we can do. Thank you for your review!

Best Company To Work For in Baltimore (Stansberry Research)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture here naturally encourages employees to work hard. The directors are engaging and want their employees to succeed. New ideas are the backbone of the business.

Cons

There aren't many I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue educating mid-level staff to cultivate employee growth.

Aug 12, 2015

Thanks so much for your review! Great to see your enthusiasm for the Agora culture. We did want to reach out about your "Advice to Management," though. One big (and rapidly growing!) program we have ... More

Almost Unbelievable

Current Employee - Director, Corporate Communications in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Director, Corporate Communications in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I remember interviewing with two very senior level managers and being told, "We want to know what you would do with this position. We'd like you to tell us what we should be doing." I thought, "right... I'm sure." To be honest, I didn't buy it really - but I liked them. I liked the conversation, I liked what they had to say about the business, their careers and experiences, And the opportunity was there - so I took it. Still, I thought their openness to new ideas, their being so approachable and supportive, would surely fade in a short amount of time. It's been over three years, and if anything I've only been shown more trust and support. Having the freedom I do is motivating.The energy is always exciting, and always positive. The key is knowing that if you fail, fail quickly... then quickly figure out why and move on. As a workplace of this size in this day and age, it's almost unbelievable. But it's real.

Cons

The only con is probably that it's easy to get carried away with your work, but leadership encourages employees to find a healthy work-life balance.

RSS Feed </> Embed