Agora - MD

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
3.4

William Bonner

I worked there for 10+ years & loved it, but once the company grew exponentially, management types took over & ruined it

Former Employee - Web Marketing in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Web Marketing in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Agora - MD full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with, there's never a dull moment. Nice atmosphere... you feel like your ideas matter and people are willing to listen. With over 30 affiliates in 20 different countries, if you get bored at your current job, you can relocate or move to a new group to keep things fresh.

Cons

All projects seem to be given a priority 1 status, however we all know that when all projects are priority 1, they are pretty much all 5's... Expect upper management to treat you like you're expendable. Benefits were pretty sub-par as well.

Try listening to your employees ideas once in a while. Also, everyone said "family first" but when problems arise, they expect you to drop everything and rush off to fix the issues (no matter that it's after hours and you're with your family).

Very open minded and fun environment to work in

Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, OH

I worked at Agora - MD as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Good environment that allows open discussion, flat environment

Cons

- The compensation and benefits could be better

- Thank you for a good time!

Fantastic small company with a "work hard, play hard" attitude.

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Do you want to be heard? Do you want to have fun at work but also go home feeling like you were productive and weren't just filling a seat? Then this is the place to work. The actual campus is great, the people are fun, and the work is enjoyable for the most part. It really feels like management gives a hoot, which is rare nowadays.

Cons

Sometimes it feels like people get too lax in the "laid back" attitude of the company. I wish management would try to find a good line between the "laid back" and "slave driving" attitude since people can get lazy.

Keep doing what you are doing - just keep an eye on people a little more. We love it here, but some people need to be prodded to stay... y'know, actually working.

The ideal environment for someone inquisitive and inspired

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you can articulate an idea, you WILL be heard - and almost always encouraged to act on it as soon as possible. For such a large company, the culture is close knit and personal. Even the executives are approachable, social, and genuinely interested in the well-being of employees. Benefits are good, campus is cool, and the company is thriving. Agora made a lot of promises while recruiting me to work here over 2 years ago, and has lived up to all of them.

Cons

The company has grown significantly over the last few years and continues to grow. Some of the buildings are a little crowded, and communication can be difficult but I've seen a lot of improvement in my time here.

Keep doing what you're doing. Before coming to Agora, I'd never worked at a company where the vast majority of the company actually love coming to work everyday.

Horrible place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Agora - MD full-time

Pros

The location is great, nice area.

Cons

Benefits, upper management. Very negative work environment.

In one word, ridiculous.

I worked at Agora - MD

Pros

Worked for one of the affiliates (not in MD). One pro would be a beautiful office, in a new building.

Cons

I can't even begin to describe the ridiculousness and because I'm not a petty person by nature, I'm not going to do so. Suffice it to say that the office I worked at is LOL-worthy especially w/ respect to upper management.

A pretty great place to work and grow

Former Employee - Managing Editor in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Managing Editor in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Agora - MD full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're entrepreneurial, you'll fit right in. If you like profiting at the same time, you'll do the same. It's a new challenge every day, and it will fit into your skill set if you get in the door and find a problem that needs you to be the solution. You can make money this way... Best worst life balance company I've ever worked for. Best CEO in Baltimore, hands down.

Cons

Some of the leadership can be indecisive about things or completely tolerant of laziness. There are some people in the organization whom you cannot challenge, but you can easily work around them. The biggest problem is that there are many many delays in implementing your projects... So you have to nag, and you can't feel bad about it. Sometimes the people you need to speak with are out of the office all the time, and you can't find anything... If you're a business major, you won't fit in here. This isn't a tight ship...

Be more transparent in salaries. Some people are vastly overpaid while others are way underpaid. Explain how people can make money in the company and for the company, making sure that everyone benefits.

Agora overall is great. Your affiliate could make or break it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are okay, Cigna dental/health insurance. 401K match half up to 6%. Disability and life insurance. The real winner is your 2 weeks vacation time and 1 week personal time after you've been here for 6 months. Flexible if you need to work from home on occasion. Casual work environment and dress. Pretty young group of people. Company First Thursday event in the summer offering catered food and alcohol. Great formal Christmas party. Sometimes get gifts (the whole company received an iPad one year). Opportunity to move around and see what fits your career goals in terms of positions. You could be a marketer and evolve into a copywriter if you wanted to. Also, gym discount at certain gyms and a free gym in one of the buildings that also offers free training sessions weekly with other Agora people.

Cons

Totally disorganized. (I can only speak from my affiliate but I've worked at a few and they're all fairly similar). Elements of your job are taken away or added to at the blink of an eye. You could be moved around doing things you weren't even hired for. Usually asked to manage several different things that could all be full time jobs in themselves. Sometimes you'll have to stay late- it's becoming more often when trying to launch a promotion and can't get needed materials. You're typically at the mercy of someone else in regards to get getting your work done. Always waiting on someone else for a component. Can't come in and work 9-5. You could be waiting all day on something and then have to stay late to work on it. Some days are really busy and others you'll have nothing to do. Some affiliates are super clicky while others are very friendly and hang out after work.

Listen to your employees. Stop putting something off because you don't feel like handling it. Set rules so employees don't have to work late. Try to organize yourselves so we can remain organized. Your lackluster behavior causes us to become stressed over work. Managers can be high maintenance and high strung.

Unparalleled Opportunity for Driven and Dedicated Professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Agora - MD full-time (less than an year)

Pros

An exceptionally approachable senior management team.
    Encouraged to develop new ideas, tactics, strategies regardless of title or tenure.
    A unique culture which commands a strong sense of pride and comradery amongst employees.
    Unique appreciation for a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Not a hand-holding environment - will only excel if driven and understand accountability.

Entrepreneurial and Underwhelming

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Agora - MD full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At first Agora is a very young and "happening" company. The dresscode is relaxed, the management seems down to earth and helpful. Cool buildings, cool location, (minus the parking and breakins)

Cons

Management is completelty unorganized and untrusting. One or two of the smaller affiliates is constantly trying to keep up with the bigger, more successful, affiliates and makes a mess of it. Shady marketing tactics.

The bigger affiliates are doing it right, cut your losses with the smaller ones.