Agrium

Agrium President, CEO, and Director Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGrowth opportunities, career advancement, great benefits,fantastic people.

Consmore work than some could manage

Advice to Senior Managementbetter pay for inspectors

Labourer

Labourer (Current Employee)
    Lethbridge, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat policies, overtime pay, safety program, management, training.

ConsPersonal growth, was not employed their long enough to notice other cons

Advice to Senior Managementkeep it up

Top 50 Employer???

Analyst II (Current Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGreat co-workers, good benefits, bonus (although subjective).

ConsHard work seldom recognized, find that promotions or accolades are given more to the people who spend majority of their time visiting with people who can further their career. Agrium is all about band levels, people below a certain level are considered replaceable and not worth the time to speak with. Too many VP's and Directors, not enough people to do the actual work. Far too much overtime expected. HR is not looking out for the best interest of employees and cannot be trusted to do so. Have many great managers, but far too many poor managers.
    Watch out for the word of the quarter, such as: perception (deemed to be reality); optics (same as perception); synergy; retention. Used for show, not really meant.
    Still looking for the following which are shown on the Alberta Top 50 Employers feature sheet:
    - flexible work hours, shortened work week option and a formal earned days-off program
    - transit subsidies
    - free parking (unless this refers to limited parking on the street)
    - television, video games, foosball table, board games and Wii Nintendo Station (have I mentioned I've worked at agrium for 10+ years?)
    - music while working
    - suggestion box (both traditional & via email)
    - telecommuting

Why do I stay? Close to home and don't want to work downtown (where the pay & benefits are far better).

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing honest with employees will get you further ahead. Treat employees with respect, and you will get the respect back two fold. Growing Together? Functions held in some departments, other departments it depends on band level if you are able to participate (shameful).

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Recent leaders don't care how much you have contributed or change you have made to improve things.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsBonus the past few years, but is very subjective.

ConsEmployee rating system is a popularity contest more about how nice you are vs. what contribution you make.

Advice to Senior ManagementRun a business, not a daycare. Having a bunch of smiling robots is not the way to grow a company. Also get rid of half of the HR people, only keeping the ones who will stand up for all employees not just cower to the whims of individual managers

Mostly good experience

ProsCompany willing to work with students and EIT's developing new skills. Experience is appreciated. Culturally diverse. Good renumeration. Interesting projects. Good workplace ethics policy.

ConsHave encountered a workplace bully. Modus operandi is exclusion, setup for failure, and unwarranted criticism of work. More than one target.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen discussion among groups, headed by management, of not just workplace harassment, but hidden and insidious bullying. This type of atmosphere and culture is costly to the company in the long run.

Great company!

Contract Specialist (Current Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsWonderfull environment, great people, incentive to develop yourself, tons of opportunities to grow with the company

ConsSometimes the old employees are very resistant to changes

Great place to work for work-life balance

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros- high priority for work life balance
    - great culture
    - HR has put concerted efforts to improve the work environment and build a strong culture
    - most employees have a great sense of humour

Cons- competitiveness in salary
    - benefits not as attractive

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far so good, communication has been excellent.
    Keep up the good work, take time to recognize and always be watchful of complacency.

Best company I have ever worked for!

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee)
    Vancouver, BC (Canada)

ProsOpen minded nice people, progressive mentality, friendly environment that promotes from within.

ConsNothing so far to be honest

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

I like the work, not the paperwork

Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

ProsGood benefits, vacation time, alternate Fridays off

ConsLots of change lately, many "improvements" to make life more difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people who know, make fewer revolutions

Great place to work, valuable work experience for students and new graduates.

Market Research Analyst - Summer Student (Former Employee)
    Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros-Summer student wage is high relative to other opportunities.
    -Opportunity to undertake meaningful projects that will be used for business planning and development.

Cons-No clear system for previous summer students to return to the company. New programs are in place for engineers and some business degrees (finance and accounting), but if you are from another discipline it is not so easy.
    -Some departments are much better for learning and career development than others.

Worked for Agrium? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Agrium reviews and ratings in Canada — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Agrium CEO Mike Wilson. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Agrium employees.