Ahern Rentals Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

2.1

Don F. Ahern

Ahern Rentals is the North Korea of the rental industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ahern Rentals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are a lot of good people with the company, you just have to find them.

Cons

Lots of fresh paint, same old rust underneath. Ahern is trying to go corporate but leave branches to operate in the same old fashion. Confusion is abound at the branch level.

Stop trying to be top dog, you just came out of bankruptcy.

wonderful caring people to work for.

I have been working at Ahern Rentals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing about Ahern Rentals is the accessibility to Don and Evan Ahern. Every employee has access to their cell numbers and can call them anytime. They are both responsive to employees. It is nice to know you they are a phone call away.

Cons

The only "cons" I can think of is we are in a growth cycle and everyone is very busy. It is creating a great opportunities within the organization. Things are very busy right now, but will pay off in the future.

Keep making time for your employees. We appreciate you very much.

Not a recommended imployer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ahern Rentals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

there are no pros to this place. they treat you like you are expendable never like and asset.

Cons

no training the inside sales director is a hypocrite and does not back the department employees. no room for advancement. performance raises were hit or miss.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you value your career or your sanity, stay away!!!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Ahern Rentals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You are allowed (and encouraged) to wear blue jeans to work daily. You are given relative freedom to manage your schedule and tackle assigned tasks. Open door policy company-wide.

Cons

Complete chaos at all times in all areas of the company, IT especially. Where chaos does not exist, chaos is introduced because the CEO thrives in chaos. The owner and CEO will micro-manage every aspect of your life and your job rather than drive the company's vision, your CIO is a yes-man, so is every other IT person there who ranks above you... you are REQUIRED to be a yes-man at Ahern. Your professional opinions will not be valued, considered, or even asked for as the CEO will take fragments of overheard conversations external to the company out of context and make insane conclusions about how technology works and how it should be applied, with or without overwhelming evidence and objections to the contrary. The company appears to remain somewhat successful in-spite of these negatives ... Nobody knows why or how. The IT infrastructure of this organization is in absolute dis-array as everyone is a Domain Admin or has been delegated rights equivalent to such. Hackers do not bother themselves with Ahern because it is not a challenge ... it is virtually open to anyone wishing to gain access, expert and novice alike. And benefits are atrocious ... medical is such that you must come out of pocket $6,500.00 each calendar year before insurance will contribute 1 cent, and then once you hit $6,500.00 out of pocket for the year insurance covers 80% up to $10,000.00 after which time it covers 100%. And it resets every July. That's just for the employee ... to cover 1 dependent or 100 dependents is the same cost, at approx $1,000 per month your cost ... no joke.

This place is the plague, avoid it, you have been warned.

Quit.

Ahern was once a great company.

I worked at Ahern Rentals

Pros

The work atmosphere at the branch level was like working with family. Had great support from the purchasing team in Vegas.

Cons

The owner bought out another aerial company and brought with him an ego maniac and his drones. They have infiltrated almost every branch on the west coast. Free to do whatever and many good people and friends lost there jobs. Hipocrisy and backstabbing runs rampid now. Glad I am gone. Constantly walking on eggshells all the time. I did a great job and got nothing but compliments outside the drone circle. In the end I lost but it turned out for the better. The company use to put on great Christmas parties in Vegas and you really felt appreciated. But it was all a phasad it seems now.

I would recommend you give the branch managers more authority to do what needs to be done in order to profit and keep moral up. I went through four great managers before they finally put in place one of their drones.

Amazing place to work!

Former Employee - Hard Down Mechanic  in  Lakeside, CA
    Former Employee - Hard Down Mechanic in Lakeside, CA

I worked at Ahern Rentals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The chain of command was unorthodox. Each department had it's own VP. Although the Branch Manager was intrusted with welfare and economic growth of the facility he wasn't in charge of the Parts Deparment or Service Department. This structure really work well with the people in charge and for the employees as a whole.

Cons

Because I worked in the service department and our drivers delivered machines starting at 3 or 4 in the morning, my start time was 2:30 AM and I quit at 1 PM. Having to get up so early sucked but having most of the afternoon off made up for it.

The Service Manager of the Lakeside facility should treat everyone in the same manner. He tended to overlook the faults and discrepancies of certain mechanic and chastise other machanics for the same discrepancies overlook.

Worst company to work for hands down!

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative  in  Bloomington, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Bloomington, CA

I worked at Ahern Rentals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some good people still working for the company, but not much else I can think of at all.

Cons

Ahern will promise you the moon and the stars, especially to its customers, but the company is so mismanaged that they have a hard time even keeping track of where there equipment is. Everyone from the owner to its branch managers are on there own page and there seems to be no direction. I was with this company for over 5 years, 5 years too long. In that time I saw many good people come and go. This company is a revolving door of employees. The company just came out of a bankruptcy and in my opinion they are doing the same dumb things that they did to get into bankruptcy. This company has no core values and if you knew the owners, you would know why.

Sell the company like you should have during the bankruptcy.

The consultant who was praised by Senior Management, but later fired for asking for a letter of recommendation.

Former Employee - Accountant Consultant  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Accountant Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Ahern Rentals as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Senior Management recognized and praised the work I did for them.

Cons

I helped reconcile the most complex AP Vendor accounts during their bankruptcy restructure that I was told no one else could do within their entire company. Senior Management thanked me for doing such a great job. When I asked for a letter of recommendation they went to my agency that I had worked for over 15 years and in 4 states and had me fired. Every company I have ever worked for I was given recommendations. I am sorry I ever helped them. I do not recommend this company to anyone. Very unprofessional.

If Senior Management does not want to give someone a letter of recommendation they only need to tell a consultant that it is against their policy to do that, not fire them and destroy their reputation and livelihood. I am the sole support of an elderly parent. Jobs are hard enough to come by in Las Vegas. Another example of why professionals with college degree's do not stay in Las Vegas.

Small town shop with no room for growth

Current Employee - Administrator  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Administrator in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ahern Rentals

Pros

Flexible schedule for those in the right groups
    Semi - Relaxed environment
    Little to no senior management guidance

Cons

Poor benefit package
    Poor PTO package
    No room for promotion or advancement
    General lack of direction
    Incompetent individuals in senior management roles

Focus more on employee retention and less on turnover.

Very Unprofessional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Ahern Rentals

Pros

If you are in good with upper management you will be taken care of financially. However be very careful because one small mistake can put you on the "Hit List" regardless of your dedication or how well you have done your job in the past.

Many co-workers are genuine and caring.

Cons

The company on the outside appears to be a well organized corperate environment. However on the inside it is anything but that. Personal friends are the ring leaders many with little to no experience in the area that they manage. Few departments actually have quality management. Arrogance runs rampant in upper management. Turn over is high. Quality experienced employees are far and few. The owner is the puppet master in every sense of the word and every avenue. Just because its written in the empoyee handbook doesnt mean that is how it will play out. Benefits are terrible, and educational assistance and encouragement will not be found in this company. A month after my employment started I was in search of a new job.

Worked for Ahern Rentals? Contribute to the Community!