Ahern Rentals

2.8

Don F. Ahern

Worst place to work.

I worked at Ahern Rentals

Pros

Some good coworkers, that will make the day go faster.

Cons

Management is not serious. OT is mandatory (whenever they want you to stay). Salary increasing are a lie.

A great shop to work in due to: friendly co-workers, professional managers, all in a well equipped shop.

Current Employee - Scissor Lift Mechanic in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Scissor Lift Mechanic in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Ahern Rentals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Possible flexible schedules, frequent branch BBQ's, great/friendly work atmosphere. Management is easily approachable/easy to get ahold of. In most cases they provide employees a company work cell phone.

Cons

Few cons exist. However, they tend to lack in the promotions. Their employee healthcare options are not that good. Sometimes, you will have to work for hours to complete an order for it only to be cancelled by the customer (however, this is just the nature of the rental business).

Honestly, management does a decent job for this company. They step in when needed. They are not too overbearing. Don Ahern is a great person, have personally met him.

Ahern is good place to work

I have been working at Ahern Rentals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are always just a phone call away from the Aherns. They are available to hear your challenges and in most cases are able to resolve them. We are in a growth cycle so the opportunities are endless. It is awesome to see the changes happening with the Company. Don and Evan are working really hard to ensure the long term viability of the Companies and are open to ideas and suggestions.

Cons

Insurance benefits are a challenge. They are expensive and a little confusing. I've had success in speaking with the hr department and feel better knowing there are ways to make them work for me.

You are hiring a lot of senior management people coming from the big corporates who seem determined to turn this company into one of them. They weren't successful there so why do we insist on bringing them and their screwed up values to Ahern. Senior management with the exception of the newer BIG Corporates is awesome.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Ahern Rentals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Family owned and they take care of hard working employees.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Ahern Rentals is the North Korea of the rental industry.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Ahern Rentals full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are a lot of good people with the company, you just have to find them.

Cons

Lots of fresh paint, same old rust underneath. Ahern is trying to go corporate but leave branches to operate in the same old fashion. Confusion is abound at the branch level.

Stop trying to be top dog, you just came out of bankruptcy.

Not a recommended imployer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Ahern Rentals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

there are no pros to this place. they treat you like you are expendable never like and asset.

Cons

no training the inside sales director is a hypocrite and does not back the department employees. no room for advancement. performance raises were hit or miss.

If you value your career or your sanity, stay away!!!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Ahern Rentals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You are allowed (and encouraged) to wear blue jeans to work daily. You are given relative freedom to manage your schedule and tackle assigned tasks. Open door policy company-wide.

Cons

Complete chaos at all times in all areas of the company, IT especially. Where chaos does not exist, chaos is introduced because the CEO thrives in chaos. The owner and CEO will micro-manage every aspect of your life and your job rather than drive the company's vision, your CIO is a yes-man, so is every other IT person there who ranks above you... you are REQUIRED to be a yes-man at Ahern. Your professional opinions will not be valued, considered, or even asked for as the CEO will take fragments of overheard conversations external to the company out of context and make insane conclusions about how technology works and how it should be applied, with or without overwhelming evidence and objections to the contrary. The company appears to remain somewhat successful in-spite of these negatives ... Nobody knows why or how. The IT infrastructure of this organization is in absolute dis-array as everyone is a Domain Admin or has been delegated rights equivalent to such. Hackers do not bother themselves with Ahern because it is not a challenge ... it is virtually open to anyone wishing to gain access, expert and novice alike. And benefits are atrocious ... medical is such that you must come out of pocket $6,500.00 each calendar year before insurance will contribute 1 cent, and then once you hit $6,500.00 out of pocket for the year insurance covers 80% up to $10,000.00 after which time it covers 100%. And it resets every July. That's just for the employee ... to cover 1 dependent or 100 dependents is the same cost, at approx $1,000 per month your cost ... no joke.

This place is the plague, avoid it, you have been warned.

Quit.

Ahern was once a great company.

I worked at Ahern Rentals

Pros

The work atmosphere at the branch level was like working with family. Had great support from the purchasing team in Vegas.

Cons

The owner bought out another aerial company and brought with him an ego maniac and his drones. They have infiltrated almost every branch on the west coast. Free to do whatever and many good people and friends lost there jobs. Hipocrisy and backstabbing runs rampid now. Glad I am gone. Constantly walking on eggshells all the time. I did a great job and got nothing but compliments outside the drone circle. In the end I lost but it turned out for the better. The company use to put on great Christmas parties in Vegas and you really felt appreciated. But it was all a phasad it seems now.

I would recommend you give the branch managers more authority to do what needs to be done in order to profit and keep moral up. I went through four great managers before they finally put in place one of their drones.

Amazing place to work!

Former Employee - Hard Down Mechanic in Lakeside, CA
    Former Employee - Hard Down Mechanic in Lakeside, CA

I worked at Ahern Rentals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The chain of command was unorthodox. Each department had it's own VP. Although the Branch Manager was intrusted with welfare and economic growth of the facility he wasn't in charge of the Parts Deparment or Service Department. This structure really work well with the people in charge and for the employees as a whole.

Cons

Because I worked in the service department and our drivers delivered machines starting at 3 or 4 in the morning, my start time was 2:30 AM and I quit at 1 PM. Having to get up so early sucked but having most of the afternoon off made up for it.

The Service Manager of the Lakeside facility should treat everyone in the same manner. He tended to overlook the faults and discrepancies of certain mechanic and chastise other machanics for the same discrepancies overlook.

Worst company to work for hands down!

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Bloomington, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Bloomington, CA

I worked at Ahern Rentals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some good people still working for the company, but not much else I can think of at all.

Cons

Ahern will promise you the moon and the stars, especially to its customers, but the company is so mismanaged that they have a hard time even keeping track of where there equipment is. Everyone from the owner to its branch managers are on there own page and there seems to be no direction. I was with this company for over 5 years, 5 years too long. In that time I saw many good people come and go. This company is a revolving door of employees. The company just came out of a bankruptcy and in my opinion they are doing the same dumb things that they did to get into bankruptcy. This company has no core values and if you knew the owners, you would know why.

Sell the company like you should have during the bankruptcy.