Ahold USA

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dick Boer

Total lack of IT support prevented me from having network/application/access resources to do my job.

Analyst (Former Employee) Quincy, MA

Prosnone for me; people tend to stay because there is little change

Consreally old enterprise technology; mainframe..very proprietary

Advice to Senior Managementtake advantage of DeMoulas (Market Basket) strife now

Committed people but . . .

Associate (Former Employee) Carlisle, PA

ProsThere are some fantastic and very genuine people who work here. I do believe middle management cares a great deal about the employees.

ConsBecause the company has come together through assorted M&A and there are multiple "headquarter" locations, there are still "us vs them" issues. Infrastructure seems to be hodge-podge as well. Trying to get processes in place, but it feels like there is a lot of resistance. Did not make a strong transition from a bunch of little players to one big company.

Advice to Senior ManagementVision is great, but people need to be more motivated to bring it to life. Need to focus on creating a cohesive team.

They care about one thing only... Money

Anonymous (Former Employee) Winchester, VA

ProsDecent benefits if they give u enough hours to keep them

ConsSelf serving noncaring u are just a number kinda place. You can't count on them to look out for employees, just the bottom line.
     I worked for giant aka Martin's for 8+ years had to have surgery twice in a year ( mostly for being pressured into going back to work before I was healed) and they "administratively terminated me"... Oh but I could reapply and become a new hire and lose my benefits and make $5.00 less per hour and only be part time (don't get me started on how bad they treat part time employees). I was an asst dept manager and they just couldn't care less... Don't work for them! Foreign owned by greedy capitalist and managed by heartless inhumanoids!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo find your selves a heart.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was a Lead Data Integrity Associate until I was laid off in 2011

Lead Data Integrity Associate (Former Employee) Quincy, MA

ProsGood benefits, great location, and good people.

ConsBeing laid off after 12 years and having to train my replacement in Carlisle PA kinda sucked.

Field Technical Specialist

Field Technical Support (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsFlexibility, Company vehicle, low insurance premium

ConsWhere do I start.....the company is about 10 years behind in their payscale. You have to work your 1st year without a vacation. your second year, they're nice enough to give you 1 week vacation. You are required to work on call, which isn't bad if your company keeps up to date technology around. this company however, chooses to rely on archaic equipment, which appears to be very detrimental to the company, but they choose not to upgrade it or have an adequate amount of backups (like normal companies). so be prepared work evey other week on call, and work saturday/sundays guaranteed. oh yeah, even when you're not on call they'll try to make you work mandatory overtime in order to cover all of the open tickets, which coincidentally is because of them opening new stores, techs quitting, and not adding more techs. You keep your own inventory, which gets shipped from a warehouse location, but the parts you receive have a 70% failure rate, so those tickets take forever to get closed, meanwhile store management looks at the tech as if he is incompetent, because of issues that our out of your control. the company has network analysts, project managers, s/w experts...BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER, because they will ditch their work and shift blame every chance they get, meanwhile you're stuck holding the ball trying to do your job and 3 other people's job! documentation is a joke, They need to hire a technical writer! NO opportunity for advance. Avoid at all costs!!! you'll be sorry.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement should take into consideration all of the work that is being done in the field by their techs and the Senior Techs that have been there a long time!

A company in a never ending transition.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAhold is a solid financial company that is caught in the mushy middle of its market, overly focused on saving its way to prosperity at the expense of customer and employee satisfaction.

ConsAhold is a top down European focused dictatorial company that has lost sight of the very local angle that it professes to be. Decisions are highly centralized.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit the company's history and rediscover what made many of its operating divisions great and use your financial leverage to improve operations from a customer centric point of view versus a management centric view of your customer.

Pay sucks, people hate it there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of free items/giveaways, great heallth insurance. Close to home. Easy commute. 401 k company matches up to 3%.

ConsRaises are a joke, a lot of unhappy people working at a place they hate to be. People working in the windowless basement.

I was a contractor working on a new software installation project

Oracle Team (Former Employee) Quincy, MA

ProsFor me it was a great commute and a familiar company. I loved being local to home and knowing that I was able to support the business through my everyday shopping experience.

ConsVery closed to new people. I always felt like a bit of an outsider during my time there. People tend not to trust new employees to the organization and it took a while for me to break through and gain trust.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your HR operations to be more in touch with employees

A great place.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Carlisle, PA

ProsA great, well established company to be a part of. Wonderful benefits and perks. A lot of room to advance within the company.

ConsNot a ton of space in the physical building as the company is growing.

I really enjoyed my time interviewing at Ahold USA

Intern (Former Employee) Quincy, MA

ProsReally great hands on experience
    Great work enviornment

ConsStruggle with Store managers and communication

Worked for Ahold USA? Contribute to the Community!