Ahold USA Reviews

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014

2.8

Dick Boer

Overall great place to work

Current Employee - Accountant  in  Carlisle, PA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Carlisle, PA

I have been working at Ahold USA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enjoy what I do. Reasonable salary

Cons

Boring job. Not enough work.

I want more work but expect more salary for more work

Favoritism is ruining the company

Former Employee - Merchandising Services  in  Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Merchandising Services in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Ahold USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a great pleasure to work in Sales and Merchandising Services for this company. However, their double standards have gotten so bad that it's intolerable.

Cons

Many ideas are taken from employees and passed off by the Managers as their own. Most promotions are given in return for "special" favors. Very little training. No departmental guidelines or policy. I can only speak for one department but there is absolutely no room for advancement.

Must have consistent management styles for all employees

Total lack of IT support prevented me from having network/application/access resources to do my job.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Quincy, MA

I worked at Ahold USA full-time for less than a year

Pros

none for me; people tend to stay because there is little change

Cons

really old enterprise technology; mainframe..very proprietary

take advantage of DeMoulas (Market Basket) strife now

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Committed people but . . .

Former Employee - Associate  in  Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Associate in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Ahold USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some fantastic and very genuine people who work here. I do believe middle management cares a great deal about the employees.

Cons

Because the company has come together through assorted M&A and there are multiple "headquarter" locations, there are still "us vs them" issues. Infrastructure seems to be hodge-podge as well. Trying to get processes in place, but it feels like there is a lot of resistance. Did not make a strong transition from a bunch of little players to one big company.

Vision is great, but people need to be more motivated to bring it to life. Need to focus on creating a cohesive team.

They care about one thing only... Money

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Winchester, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Winchester, VA

I worked at Ahold USA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent benefits if they give u enough hours to keep them

Cons

Self serving noncaring u are just a number kinda place. You can't count on them to look out for employees, just the bottom line.
     I worked for giant aka Martin's for 8+ years had to have surgery twice in a year ( mostly for being pressured into going back to work before I was healed) and they "administratively terminated me"... Oh but I could reapply and become a new hire and lose my benefits and make $5.00 less per hour and only be part time (don't get me started on how bad they treat part time employees). I was an asst dept manager and they just couldn't care less... Don't work for them! Foreign owned by greedy capitalist and managed by heartless inhumanoids!!!

Go find your selves a heart.

I was a Lead Data Integrity Associate until I was laid off in 2011

Former Employee - Lead Data Integrity Associate  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Lead Data Integrity Associate in Quincy, MA

I worked at Ahold USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, great location, and good people.

Cons

Being laid off after 12 years and having to train my replacement in Carlisle PA kinda sucked.

Field Technical Specialist

Former Employee - Field Technical Support  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Field Technical Support in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Ahold USA full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, Company vehicle, low insurance premium

Cons

Where do I start.....the company is about 10 years behind in their payscale. You have to work your 1st year without a vacation. your second year, they're nice enough to give you 1 week vacation. You are required to work on call, which isn't bad if your company keeps up to date technology around. this company however, chooses to rely on archaic equipment, which appears to be very detrimental to the company, but they choose not to upgrade it or have an adequate amount of backups (like normal companies). so be prepared work evey other week on call, and work saturday/sundays guaranteed. oh yeah, even when you're not on call they'll try to make you work mandatory overtime in order to cover all of the open tickets, which coincidentally is because of them opening new stores, techs quitting, and not adding more techs. You keep your own inventory, which gets shipped from a warehouse location, but the parts you receive have a 70% failure rate, so those tickets take forever to get closed, meanwhile store management looks at the tech as if he is incompetent, because of issues that our out of your control. the company has network analysts, project managers, s/w experts...BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER, because they will ditch their work and shift blame every chance they get, meanwhile you're stuck holding the ball trying to do your job and 3 other people's job! documentation is a joke, They need to hire a technical writer! NO opportunity for advance. Avoid at all costs!!! you'll be sorry.

management should take into consideration all of the work that is being done in the field by their techs and the Senior Techs that have been there a long time!

A company in a never ending transition.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Ahold USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ahold is a solid financial company that is caught in the mushy middle of its market, overly focused on saving its way to prosperity at the expense of customer and employee satisfaction.

Cons

Ahold is a top down European focused dictatorial company that has lost sight of the very local angle that it professes to be. Decisions are highly centralized.

Revisit the company's history and rediscover what made many of its operating divisions great and use your financial leverage to improve operations from a customer centric point of view versus a management centric view of your customer.

Pay sucks, people hate it there.

I worked at Ahold USA

Pros

Lots of free items/giveaways, great heallth insurance. Close to home. Easy commute. 401 k company matches up to 3%.

Cons

Raises are a joke, a lot of unhappy people working at a place they hate to be. People working in the windowless basement.

I was a contractor working on a new software installation project

Former Employee - Oracle Team  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Oracle Team in Quincy, MA

I worked at Ahold USA as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

For me it was a great commute and a familiar company. I loved being local to home and knowing that I was able to support the business through my everyday shopping experience.

Cons

Very closed to new people. I always felt like a bit of an outsider during my time there. People tend not to trust new employees to the organization and it took a while for me to break through and gain trust.

Improve your HR operations to be more in touch with employees

Worked for Ahold USA? Contribute to the Community!