Aimco Apartment Homes Reviews

Reset
4.0
Aimco Apartment Homes Chairman, President, and CEO Terry Considine
Terry Considine

Pros
  • work life balance, rent discount, leadership (in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits and company culture (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The work / life balance is very poor (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management is clueless and unethical (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Exciting place to work!

Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes

Pros

Dynamic, passionate and engaged team members make this a great place to work; while there is never a dull moment, my colleagues thrive on continuously trying to figure out what they can do better while still taking time to celebrate and recognize milestones, growth and progress. I've been blessed with several senior leaders taking the time to meet with and mentor me in various areas; this has helped my knowledge growth, but more importantly, my leadership growth. As with any family, we have opportunities and times where things don't go according to plan; but knowing the character, resolve, kindness and determination of those I work with means we're nimble enough get through it and learn along the way. ~Jacqui

Cons

If you aren't self-motivated and driven, this probably isn't the company for you...

2. Intern at Aimco, Denver

Former Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing in Denver, CO

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes

Pros

teambuilding, positive environment, relaxed, helpful, intern lunch and learns

Cons

wouldn't let me work overtime but assigned lengthy projects

3. Community Manager

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great leadership support system on leasing side. Great leadership from the top. Motivational and impactful meetings with supervisors. Growth opportunity readily available for those willing to travel. Great pay and benifits. Great Bonus packages.

Cons

Leadership support on the maintenance side could use improvement. Ordering, Approval, and PO system for special order items and services can take along time and slow the maintenance process. Aimco is always changing which can be great but it also can be detrimental when trying to accomplish day to day duties, lease apartments, maintain a property, and introduce new initiatives.

Advice to Management

Simplify ordering, Put more control in the CM and SM roles for the ordering process.

5. Excellent Company!

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aimco is a company that cares about their employees. Overall I would highly recommend this company.

Cons

Limited ability for advancement in the company

My Company

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very structured company. If there's ever something you don't know how to do, someone has written it down and created a guide for it, you just have to ask. Salaries are competitive, the work is challenging enough to keep you engaged at all times and there are more talented people than I've seen in one place. Aimco also makes it much easier to get time face to face with the leadership than you'll find anywhere outside of a very small business. There is also a big focus on company values, which allows me to be more passionate about the people I work for.

Cons

Change is a constant and a lot of people will come and go for a lot of different reasons. Some personal, some work quality, some in pursuit of greener grass. Aimco believes in working with its team members to improve them but unfortunately, they'll do this beyond what would seem to be prudent with certain team members while others are blown out very quickly. At the management level, particularly community manager, it's a very volatile position and people come and go regularly. The flip side to that is regular opportunity for advancement and if you really learn the job and do it well, you'll be tapped to move up.

Advice to Management

Put in a better system for reviewing specific pieces of the management chain. While Aimco is open to feedback, the individuals who need criticism don't get it because the people who are most equipped to provide it don't want to speak up for fear of reprisals which may not exist but are a concern.

7. Call Center Relations Coordinator

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee oriented company with positive work culture

Cons

I do not have any cons rated for this company

Advice to Management

none

8. Real Estate Accounting

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The overall culture at AIMCO has improved dramatically especially in the last few years. Although AIMCO made some serious cuts in staff in the last 5-7 years, for the most part they matched up with the large reduction in properties they own. Fortunately they are on the path of growing again. AIMCO leadership has created a culture of innovation that is more than just making a change in a process like it felt in the past.

Cons

Working at AIMCO will challenge you every day but you will never be bored. Work/Life balance can be a challenge at times but I have found most managers will work with you in finding ways to address any issues you might have.

Advice to Management

Corporate turnover is relatively low so I would ask them to focus on resolving staff turnover at the properties. The CM and SM's have a huge amount of responsibilities including many bookkeeping functions which when left incomplete for any period of time can create challenges for us in accounting during month-end close.

Property Manager

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes

Pros

Pay was competitive with the market place and good benefits.

Cons

Regional Manager was out of control.

It's Okay

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro I have is getting hired.

Cons

Working for Aimco is challenging but not rewarding. Yes it's a great company to work for but the pay is awful. I work full time and can only work 70 hours every two weeks. The company hates paying an employee overtime. If I work overtime I get in trouble by my boss. How ridiculous is that! If I work an extra hour over my 70hrs I would have to balance it out by either coming into work an hour late or leaving work an hour early. Also, the training sucks. The just toss you into work without training you and expect you to learn from watching videos online. Also they would schedule new hires to attend a training class not on how to work the apps on the computer or filing paper work but to lease apartments. How backwards is that!

Advice to Management

Train your consultants before putting them behind the desk. It can result into a legal issue if paper work is filled incorrectly. Another is to have better managers that won't hesitate to help a new hire or won't get annoyed if an LC is asking for help!

11. accounting

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes

Pros

Corporate culture. Fair pay scale.

Cons

Health insurance expensive for coverage offered

RSS Feed </> Embed