Aimco Apartment Homes Reviews

108 reviews filtered by
2.7
Aimco Apartment Homes Chairman, President, and CEO Terry Considine
Terry Considine

Pros
  • work life balance, rent discount, leadership (in 3 reviews)

• Great work environment with amazing co-workers (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance is not as regarded as they portray and changes are not communicated well (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management can't see the forest for all the trees (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to work with fantastic co-workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive salary, collaborative staff, intelligent staff, room for advancement, great company offered perks, amazing culture, community minded programs. You do need to have a positive attitude, and be able to work hard in order to go far in this company.

Cons

Commute is a little long, (but that is a personal issue.)

Advice to Management

Aimco has come a long way. I look forward to what the future holds as the company is trending in the right direction.

2. Providing exceptional customer service over the phone.

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes

Pros

They are a fantastic company, willing to work with your hours and have plenty of benefits. Super flexible and There for you.

Cons

Tied to a phone all day, the way they schedule your shifts. Also, they don't really tell you this up front is that you HAVE to hit the 3 mark metrics for the surveys taken, QA report and Voice of the customer surveys. That is stressfull because the voice of the customer is not up to you but the prospect and if you don't hit at 94% you're out the door.

3. Atlanta market is waiting on new properties to be invested in to allow opportunities for qualified employees advance.

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes

Pros

Solid support from corporate office. Your Co workers on location makes this job the best or worst

Cons

As always, the budget comes first. Sometimes you have to go without due to budget restraints

Advice to Management

Stay advanced on technology for engineers. Strive to help increase health and wellness for company.

Decent Company Overall

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes

Pros

There are always new challenges and ways to grow. The company claims to have a career "jungle gym" not a "latter" which is fairly accurate. It's fairly common to transition into a completely new area with little or no experience after demonstrating strong performance in prior role within the company. Most teams are fairly small which aids in career opportunities as people tend to move onto something else rather quickly (after 2-5 years typically). Compensation is generally pretty competitive as well.

Company does tend to recognize very strong performers. However, maybe not quite as proactively as they could.

Depending on your specific team the overall work/life balance is pretty good. Some managers expect you to be available 8:30-6:00 and will e-mail you at 11pm or even 2am, but others are more reasonable and simply ask that you manage your workload accordingly.

Cons

I will start by saying my opinion has improved while working here, however, the company has a long ways to go before becoming a "world class organization." And I don't see very much movement towards that end either.

Some people/departments can be difficult to work with. There are definitely a lot of strong personalities working here and they can either be difficult to work with or are arrogant and therefore next to impossible to work with. That being said, there are also a lot of great people here as well. There is quite a large dichotomy amongst the various teams even though the company has identified and trained to a singular leadership style they wish to adopt. Some leaders and teams have embraced this, while others have not. Because of this you may get an "us vs them" feeling when interacting with different teams.

Benefits are below average (even though HR will claim they meet or exceed the national average). 401k is simply laughable. Health is reasonably priced, but lacking benefits overall (high deductibles which must be met before benefits become useable). A standard office visit isn't bad, but as soon as you need any tests done, expect to pay quite a bit. Vision and Dental are fairly standard. I will end this part with saying I do fear actually having a real health issue to deal with though.

They also offer an education reimbursement program which only pays $2,000 per year max. Might help if attending an online university to obtain a basic 4 year degree. If you have higher goals, however, this is more of a slap in the face than a benefit.

Advice to Management

Improve employee benefits. Embrace your own leadership ideals and hold others more accountable for their actions and treatment of others. Streamline the company systems to eliminate excessive manual work and improve overall efficiency. Do not be afraid to combine smaller teams and departments that make sense being under one leadership.

I do not approve of the CEO only because he seems afraid to be the bad guy and make the hard decisions. Senior Leadership also appears to coddle him which leads me to believe he's blind to the needs and desires of the employees.

6. Great Multi-Family Real Estate opportunity

Current Employee - Director of Finance in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Director of Finance in Denver, CO

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting and occasionally rewarding work

Cons

We have consistently sold more properties than we have purchased. I wish we wanted to be the largest. Health benefits and 401k, I believe, are below competitor rates.

Advice to Management

Let's grow

7. Terrible company.

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time

Pros

You'll get paid pretty well and there's a rent discount if you live on one of their properties, but I'm starting to wonder if its even worth it.
    I actually regret taking the job offer because if I had known what I know now, I could have taken a lower paying job and been much happier.

Cons

It's pretty clear to me that this company values it's profit margins far more than it's employees or residents.
    First, I have to work every weekend and we're open until 7pm some weekdays.
    Secondly, during all the snowstorms we were forced to keep our leasing offices open and put our personal lives in danger. Literally no attempt was made to give non-essential personnel the opportunity to make it home safely.
    I've been given goals to meet that are literally impossible. Our team is not being given clear guidelines on processes, things are changing daily and there's more work than our maintenance team can physically handle. The company hasn't bothered to hire another person to help out with maintenance and now every day I'm getting infuriated residents in my office. I can't rent the apartments because they are falling apart or not even ready.

Advice to Management

I'd love it if our number one goal didn't relate to profit but instead focused on service. Great service is rewarded with success. This company is going to lose a lot more money if it doesn't change its way of handling things and overhaul its mindset.

8. Overall good company

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes

Pros

It is a friendly environment and a great place to work

Cons

They are still in the process of laying off employees

great team members

Former Employee - Service Technician IV in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Service Technician IV in Miami, FL

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, once you are hired they won't terminate you or lay you off. they would rather cut your hours, things used to be good before the economy crashed in term of compensation.

Cons

you only work 35 hours as full time, they won't acknowledge you do something right, say happy birthday on your birthday, or say thank you at the end of the year. It takes forever to get promoted unless.. from a special group.

Advice to Management

To value more the technicians, give them thank you card once in while.

Good experience-former service manager

Former Employee - Service Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company does respect their employees. Pay is fair and bonus program is very good. Support for employees needing assistance is outstanding.

Cons

Paperwork workload is over the top. Much confusion with new metrics and lots of turnover in middle management.

Advice to Management

Training could be a lot better for new employees.

Learned alot

Former Employee - Service Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Aimco Apartment Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Rewards hard work with bonus program.

Cons

Big corporation with lots of turnover in middle management

Advice to Management

Training for new hires was nonexistant even though training program was in place just not implemented.

Aimco Apartment Homes Photos