Air Canada

Air Canada Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Air Canada President, CEO, and Director Calin Rovinescu

Calin Rovinescu

Pros
  • Travel benefits (before service charges were added) (in 16 reviews)

• Flight benefits, health benefits, great people to work with (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Front line and middle management are not given the lattitude to introduce the changes needed (in 5 reviews)

• senior management resistant to change (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing benefits, flight privileges.. Slow career growth, pay

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFlight Benefits

Slow growth
    Low wages
    Unwilling to change
    Bonus structure

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to relate with lower level employees more. Need to accept newer ideas and models. Have more faith in analysis and data.

Barf!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe friends I made in the 15 years I was there.

ConsManagement and the Teamster Union. Company satisfied with breaking even. Low level management gets away with unethical, immoral treatment of its employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat management?

Toxic work environment

ProsFree travel when space available.

ConsNeedy and rude passengers. Very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loyalty to Investors, not employees

Various Management Positions (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros100% Paid medical benefits for entire family and/or partner

ConsPromotions based on senority, not ability. Most senior positions are filled with employees with 30+ years with the company. There isn't opportunity for younger, talented, educated employees to move up the ranks. My General Manager was with the company 34 years before he/she because part of senior management/

Company uses outdated or used computers/laptops for managers. My laptop was upgraded to 512MB RAM and I was suppose to be thankful for it.

Blackberry's were a "perk" or status symbol in 2008 (about 3 years behind the rest of the world), but they couldn't afford a Microsoft Exchange server, so the Blackberrys were useless. We had to forward our email to a third-party email provider so we could get our messages and then manually reconcile our inboxes.

Bonus calcuations changed year to year and often the week before a payout, senior management would change the rules resulting in drastic cut in payouts.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've got an unhealthy mix of low level inexperienced employees and very senior employees just hoping to make it to retirement.

Worst management I've seen so far

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Calgary, AB (Canada)

Pros- Great work benefits & pension
    - Travelling perks after 6 months

Cons- Short staffed so overloaded
    - Bad management of new staff
    - No control over the schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company is a fantastic way to practice both French and English if you're a bilingual person. It offers perks of cheap fair price to their employees after their 6 months probation period. Depending on the city you're living in, there can be really bad management issues. I've seen new staff having to learn over a month's training program within less than half the time. They were pushed into the airport barely knowing some important stuff with the promise that they'll get help with the intermediate/senior co-workers already operating.

The truth is there isn't much time to teach when you have 5 minutes to book a whole flight of people standing right in front of your counter. I've also seen some new staff being left to fend for themselves and the management which supposed to help them not having the needed background knowledge to support them. At this location, the staff was so short that stupid decisions happened quite often. They would position you somewhere where you don't currently have the training for saying that it would only be few minutes and then completely forget about you while customers were asking information that you couldn't provide.

The schedule basically worked like the auction house except that you had no control whatsoever: the seniors would choose first until the new staff would be fending for whatever is left that people didn't want. Don't expect them to tell you anything about it until the training is done by the way. Although, there are policies installed to prevent your scheduled from being changed as will, the management can try some shady stuff and if you don't pay attention and fight back, you take the fall for it. People often trade their shifts to have one day available or to benefit some days of vacation using the cheap fare for employees.

The overall culture is kinda sad; most staff get depressed with time ( a short time to be exact).

This was overall a great experience knowing the behind of airports and planes, but I would recommend there if you like travelling a lot or have family to visit which lives across the globe. If you're looking for a great company's culture, I would suggest to pass on this one.

In-flight service director: A career that climbs like a growing stock with many ups and some downs.

Service Director (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- Health Benefits
    - Compensation (after five years)
    - Rewarding
    - Internationally recognized and highly regarded
    - Career Opportunities and Special Assignments in other departments
    - Award winning company which feeds pride in many employees
    - Pension
    - Exciting
    - 99% of our colleagues and management are amazing to work with

Cons- Irregular hours (many weekends, holidays, very early mornings and/or extremely late or long nights
    - Seniority rather than merit based reward system
    - Long wait to gain in seniority

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep fighting for the shift in culture change. It seems to be heading in the right direction. Initiate changes reported by front line employees in a more timely manor if possible. Keep striving for the best and continues improvement.

Your manager and team can make or break your experience and career at Air Canada

Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsTravel benefits - if you're willing to get creative with flight plans and enjoy the possibility of getting stuck at airports when traveling standby

ConsThe company is stuck in a rut in terms of its problem solving approach and the lack of creativity and new blood creates a sense of group think in many departments so it's the same tired and cautious approach to everything every season. Salary is horrendous compared to similar jobs and skill levels in other industries.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the teams, shuffle people around, bring in new blood

Lots of Company pride

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsHighly recognized and respected brand. Internationally renown for its service. Full time employees enjoy flight benefits.

ConsDifficult to maintain work life balance in certain parts of the company. Compensation is not competitive. Opportunities for advancement are limited outside of Montreal.

Great coworker but you are just a number for them

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsBenefit pension travel privileges .

ConsWorking holidays, pay and always fear of layoff

Old boys club is a real thing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat co-workers for many years. I was very happy with benefits and pay,

ConsShifts leave you with no outside life. No problem if you don't want to be with people on a norman 9 to 5 job.
    Managers still want a male in the managers roles. They do not like to promote from within anymore. They prefer outsiders so I spent years training people to go above me.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to your front line employees. They need a home life to work only burns you out if you have no outlets. Allow for options it will surprise you how soon the sick calls will go down.
    Promote your people from within. Why through away talent once these people start being passed over they will loose interest in going the extra mile.

Worked for Air Canada? Contribute to the Community!