Air Force Reserve

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014
4.2

CEO

You get what your put into it.

I have been working at Air Force Reserve part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're issued a wardrobe, luggage, and given the opportunity to travel the world- YOU just have to give it your all and work for it, nothing will be handed to you.

Cons

Physical, mental, and emotional tolls while you become a harder, better, faster version of yourself- and I'm not just referring to basic training.

Reward the cream that rises to the top and those who put in the effort to get close while pushing those who do not try to do better. If they can't, show them the door.

Warrior Airman

I have been working at Air Force Reserve part-time

Pros

Great Benefits for Health Insurance, and School, overall establishing job skills

Cons

no cons for the Air Force Reserves

Awesome!

Current Employee - Chief Enlisted Manager in Biloxi, MS
    Current Employee - Chief Enlisted Manager in Biloxi, MS

I have been working at Air Force Reserve part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working in a team environment to accomplish one mission. Air superiority!

Cons

Traveling to and from the base once a month for UTA's.

Made me the man I am today!!!!!

Current Employee - Enlisted Accessions Recruiter in D'Iberville, MS
    Current Employee - Enlisted Accessions Recruiter in D'Iberville, MS

I have been working at Air Force Reserve full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Air Force Reserve IS what you make out of it! It can be one weekend a month or a career. I've been here 11 years and never had another job and now I recruit for them. It's an honest organization with great pay and great benefits with real world training.

Cons

I can't think of any cons. Basic training was tough but well worth it. It looks good on a resume too.

Ensure that credit is given where it's due. Ribbons, medals, awards.... these are great incentives for Airman that really love what they're doing.

Fulfilling capability to learn and grow in dynamic environment

I worked at Air Force Reserve full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Within a particular organization, the communication is effectual and the recognition to members is inspiring. Great people to work with and share hard times.

Cons

To advance according to Senior Executive requirements, multiple moves will be required.

Mitigation of the good 'ol boy network within each base would increase the value of the Reserves as a whole.

Overworked in a Comm Flight

Former Employee - PWCS Manager
    Former Employee - PWCS Manager

I worked at Air Force Reserve full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Full time job GS-09, Established organization, Lots of flexibility because no one understands your job

Cons

Poor Leadership, Too many additional duties not evenly distributed, Undermanned and no real interest in fixing the problems. Because no one understands your job, you receive lots of tasking's that no one else wants to do.

Prioritize the workload. I gave the place 2 years and it never got better. The Senior Leadership were the problem and had no clue how to deal with the cards on the table.

I've made a great career...for myself

Current Employee - Communications and Informations Officer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Communications and Informations Officer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Air Force Reserve full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You learn a trade, you meet new people, you see the world.
    if you push your comfort zone and seek out opportunity you can do work that truly matters, grow your skills and capabilities, get an education, meet amazing people and learn a lot about yourself.

Cons

The needs of the service will always come first. And if you ever stop understanding that, you will be disappointed.
    it can be difficult on family life, relocating, spousal employment, long duration of separation, endless careerism.

Heritage and good order and discipline are paramount, but a lack of focus in core competencies degrades the force. reducing manpower is areas where you are looking to expand is counter productive.

Very pleasing everything was as expected

I have been working at Air Force Reserve

Pros

The best thing was the brotherhood of course and the fact that money was always coming in. Obviously the more you move up the more you make

Cons

Training was just a bit a too relaxed I hoped for more. Favoritism is a big thing i noticed and too many idiots with too much power.

Great place to work and move up.

Current Employee - Information Technology Specialist (INFOSEC) in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Air Force Reserve full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You will gain experience on the job and you will be paid to learn. Plenty of chances to move up and the benefits are excellent.

Cons

Exercises may disrupt plans for the weekend or vacation plans.

Continue to offer programs such as fitness leave and retirement parties to continue the boost to morale.

Choose your rate, choose your fate.

Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Air Force Reserve as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

If you find a decent job that you like, then the world is your oyster. You get the best of being a civilian and the training and backing of being military in the job markets. If you're looking into joining don't base your entire outlook off the training commands and the way they treat new boots.

Cons

It's hard to transition from active duty to civilian sometimes, there can be gaps in employment. Best to offset that with going to school. Don't let the recruiter talk you into a position you don't think you'll like.

Air Force Reserve Photos