Air Methods

Aaron D. Todd

Great work environment

Current Employee - EMS Helicopter Pilot
    Current Employee - EMS Helicopter Pilot

I have been working at Air Methods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Surrounded by professionals. Modern Equipment. No Pressure to perform outside of regulations or safety environments. No micromanagement. Plenty of opportunities to move to different bases around the country.

Cons

Pay could be a bit better. Aircraft and Equipment are due upgrade. Although aircraft are capable, some are very small and inappropriately utilized. Maintenance staffing is always a problem resulting. Medical crew has constant turnover due to pay and benefits.

Review pay and benefits to medical crewmembers. Review maintenance personnel practices to include travel and overtime coverage requirements.

Not Safe For Your Wellbeing

Current Employee - Flight Nurse in Carlsbad, NM
    Current Employee - Flight Nurse in Carlsbad, NM

I have been working at Air Methods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are new, they pay you very well. They probably pay you better than they pay people with multiple years of experience.

Cons

You have to be new to be paid well.
    You have to be new or you will ask safety related questions to people who will ignore you.
    You have to be new or you wont know to ignore the give aways the company does to attract business.

Walk the walk you talk about in Colorado. If you did that you would have a great company. Instead you are less interested in safety than you claim and you endanger your crews regularly.

Great environment and interesting work

Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Internal Auditor in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Air Methods full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great environment, good work/life balance, experienced coworkers, good office culture

Cons

N/A: Normal corporate office, lots of different personalities, but nothing problematic.

N/A

Chaotic, unbalanced job that comes with a very short leash. Hypocrisy abounds.

Former Employee - A&P Technician
    Former Employee - A&P Technician

I worked at Air Methods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Regular pay check. Job security.

Cons

Chaotic environment. Pay not commensurate with job responsibilities and liability exposure. Ineffective in house training programs. Grossly inefficient systems. A&P Techs are abused and treated as second class citizens. Company will expect you to make loans to them for expenses out of your own pocket (or at least that was the expectation while I was employed there). Other nonsense to long to list it all.

Just for the record I was a good employee, never cited or reprimanded by management or the FAA during their numerous visits. I left the aircraft under my care better than I found them. Unanticipated life circumstances caused me to voluntarily resign (family considerations/health issues). Management in vindictive fashion used a very poorly documented arbitrarily applied excuse to withhold several thousand dollars from my final paycheck.

That would be a waste of time.

Great

I have been working at Air Methods

Pros

Great company to work for. If you do your job you will not have any issues.

Cons

Company is growing very fast.

None

This company does good things but seems more concerned with stock prices than taking care of its employees.

I have been working at Air Methods full-time

Pros

Good people (middle and upper management need to work on people skills)

Cons

Pay, benefits and there's just no incentive to do what's right for the company.

Invest in infrastructure and pay your employees what they deserve.

Accept the offer (if you don't want a life or have any pride)

Current Employee - Field Mechanic
    Current Employee - Field Mechanic

I have been working at Air Methods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fair pay and benefits although the benefits are dwindling

Cons

Field Mechanics are at the bottom of the food chain. It even shows it on the corporate flow chart. Managers are not supportive and will harass you if you don't comply in a way they feel needs to be done. There is a lot of micro managing from a distance via phone and emails. The company handbooks are written in such a way that if you don't follow to the letter you will receive threatening emails although you can't get much accomplished by doing it according to the policy.

The purchasing department requires that orders are placed well in advance for parts but when you don't receive them on time and do a "status check" (which takes a couple days for them to respond) you are advised the part is unavailable. How can we keep the aircraft safe and abide by the regulations when we can't get support? We are responsible for record keeping and verifying the records department is doing their job. With over 3000 employees and a vast number f them working a corporate HQ it is VERY difficult to get anyone to answer a question or assist with a problem.

The SMS program recently put into place is a "dog and pony show". We are told to keep the aircraft safe but inspections continue to be placed into extension and parts or components are late to arrive. It's almost as though we need to turn a blind eye. There seems to be nothing done at the base level to actually promote safety rather than threats, new "policies" and more forms to fill out. The company places the majority of the responsibility on the mechanics and the pilots and is not afraid to throw you "under the bus" if something doesn't go well. They say your maximum day is 14 hours but look the other way when the aircraft goes out of service. Ten days on at 24 hours a day usually works out to 8 hours on then call outs at night. Overtime is severely frowned upon.

The bases are understaffed with no intensions of trying to bring them up to speed. OSHA training is provided but just try to get a new ladder to replace that old rickety one. During the 10 days on it is not unusual to be covering 2-3 bases and multiple aircraft because of vacation schedules and others days off.

Mr. Todd has said he will follow up on concerns brought to him but this isn't true. One thing that id true is Mr. Todd is good at making the company money.

I'll try to hang in there for a couple more years and drink some more Kool Aide until I can retire.

I guess I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. Managers need to work with us in the trenches. Have some integrity people. This is a noble job that could be satisfying if only there was some communication and synergy. Listen to your people.

Great Company

Current Employee - Field Mechanic in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Field Mechanic in Modesto, CA

I have been working at Air Methods full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good pay
    good time off

Cons

call outs
    on call

Call Center in Omaha (RUN AWAY FROM THIS PLACE)

Current Employee - Patient Transfer Coordinator in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Patient Transfer Coordinator in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Air Methods full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is the only thing good here.

Cons

Everything is wrong with this Call Center in Omaha, NE (DIRECT CALL). Poor management no experience in healthcare field. Supervisors are high school kids who act like they are GOD. Leads are horrible young no experience in anything and have no idea of how be in a management position.

My advice would be to start hiring people with real experience and weed out your management team who does not have any experience. Q&A dept needs all the help they can get. Try encouraging your employees and give them positive feed back about their work not treat them like trash. This company has so much room to grow but it can't grow with favoritism and management team needs to step up and run the company with equal opportunity. Take a good look at your night shift supervisors... maybe management can figure out why everyone is quitting and educate your supervisor to be a supervisor not have them act like they are in high school. Main problem treat people with respect a lot of employees many employees that are at Direct Call are older and educated treat them with respect.

easy way to turn a billionaire into a millionaire

I worked at Air Methods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I cant recall there ever being any Pros.

Cons

After a while, you too will lack any sense of surprise. No bonuses, No pay, on occasion, and no hope.
    Finance Dept accidentally overpaid into many employee's 401k, once they discovered the problem, they snatched the money back along with whatever earnings were accrued, without employee consent. (ILLEGAL)
    The pay system has misdeposited employees pay into random bank accounts, several times, after employee called payroll, the employee was accused of theft.
    FAA regs are used as threats against personnel who are not management, once that level is achieved, the regs are used as punch lines.
    EVERYONE HATES WORKING HERE.

consider attending a scruples workshop, because you have none.

Air Methods Photos