Air Products Reviews

Reset

IT Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Air Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Company to work for. Nice people. Good work life balance. Safety conscious.

Cons

With the recent changes in high level management, lot of uncertainty. Not easy to get a job here. Too much red tape.

Advice to Management

More openness required.

If you have any ambition at all, this is not the place for you.

Current Employee - MBA CDP in Allentown, PA
    Current Employee - MBA CDP in Allentown, PA

I have been working at Air Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No one has very high expectations, the fact that you can fog a mirror is pretty much applauded Benefits are decent (if you can get into a doctor in the area)

Cons

Location (Lehigh Valley) is the worst place if you are a single professional. Doctors and dentists take 3 months to get into, specialists take up to 8 months. There is absolutely no night life Company: Not challenged at all. Management expects you to only be a warm body to refresh reports no one uses to make decisions. Fortune 500 company that is closing it's books using MS Excel. CEO speaks out of both sides of his mouth. In the earnings calls he says "Employees are the #1 resource at Air Products", then he turns around and lays off 500 people with 2500 more to go. Lack of innovation - the only way this company can find to lower costs is to lay people off... there certainly is a better way. If you are in finance, you really are a management accountant, not a financial analyst. They don't want you to put any thought into your work, they just want a spreadsheet monkey. Operational analysis is a joke - it is only used to feed the investor relations department, no business managers use it to make any strategic decisions. Project analysis is an even bigger joke, which is why the company has been stagnant for 15 years.

Advice to Management

You really should've fired the people who got us into the current situation we face, NOT the people who were good performers. They shouldn't be punished because the company doesn't know how to leverage SAP correctly. If you really want to inspire the next set of senior managers, give them some real responsibility and accountability. Give them real tasks. Stop asking them to fix excel models. You shouldn't hire MBA's because they know excel, you should hire them because of the plethora of other skills they offer. If all you want are excel-monkeys you should hire undergrad CS interns.

3. Customer Service to Market Analyst

Former Employee - Market Analyst in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Market Analyst in Allentown, PA

I worked at Air Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Has some really good managers.

Cons

Due to management changes, company is laying off good experienced employees so room for growth has gone down.

5. Project Engineer

Current Employee - Project Engineer
    Current Employee - Project Engineer

I have been working at Air Products

Pros

Autonomy, flexible hours, and safety culture make the company a standout in the manufacturing world. Great teamwork across geography and business functions.

Cons

Limited career advancement opportunities (except at HQ), bureaucratic/slow decision making, wage growth doesn't keep up with real inflation.

Advice to Management

Air Products needs to refocus energy and resources on developing and retaining quality employees. The recent reorganization seems to be more for the benefit of Wall Street than for employees or customers.

6. Electronics division

Current Employee - Production Schefukere in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Production Schefukere in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Air Products

Pros

Seems to be good growth with the company

Cons

Does not pay to dollar for employees

Advice to Management

Take ownership of your plants

Formerly great company, in need of a new beginning

Former Employee - Human Resources Expert
    Former Employee - Human Resources Expert

I worked at Air Products

Pros

The people are fantastic. They are talented and fun individuals. The benefits and compensation was average, nothing to get excited about. The work was initially challenging. I was able to work a flexible schedule since I often communicated with other sites around the world, and could work from home a few days a week. That was better than any other the tangible benefits.

Cons

As a 20 year total veteran, I have seen the company go from a place I was proud to work for - one with integrity and opportunity - to one with poor management and leadership and few opportuinties. Frankly, it made me very sad because I am grateful for many good years there. Much of the leadership was very old school and it was very hard to get new innovative ideas heard. They became very behind the times. In 2014 the CEO was ousted - uh "retired" - and a new CEO was elected (Seifi Ghasemi). He made immediate changes and was restructuring the entire organization when my entire department was eliminated. Despite this I agree that the company needs to make drastic changes to survive, even though it had a negative affect on my employment. He has some good ideas to revitalize the company, but the expense is quite a number of employees. It has left those who remain overworked, without the proper knowledge since there was little transfer, and stressed. I do hope the company comes out on the other side a stronger, happier place to be. For now, I would avoid employment until they are more stable.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. They know of what they speak. Allow them some creativity in thought and action, and have some yourselves.

Great Company

I have been working at Air Products

Pros

Air Products cares about its employees and provides many opportunities for growth and advancement. You can greatly influence your career path, and they are flexible to accommodate any special needs you may have. Very supportive co-workers make for an enjoyable work environment.

Cons

Air Products pay is not as competitive as some other companies, but they still expect you to be available as much as other companies.

9. AP

I worked at Air Products

Pros

Large global company. Work/life balance can be good depending on who your manager is.

Cons

Good benefits, not competitive with salary. Hard to advance if you don't have a engineering degree.

Advice to Management

Should be more open to work at home options across company.

10. Great corporate company to work for..

Current Employee - Operator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Air Products

Pros

Compensation, Benefits, Training, Great company to work for!

Cons

Chemical exposure, you are protected but not 100%.

Advice to Management

Keep reinforcing safety and production planning.

Not the company it once was

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pasadena, TX

I worked at Air Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still has a decent safety consciousness - maybe not as strong as under the old chem group, but still solid. here s a lot to be said about going home in the same condition you arrived.

Cons

I joined the chemicals group of Air Products many years ago. Ten years ago, the chem group pretty much disappeared after a management shakeup and everything had to be done the gases way. Then Air Products walked away from a profitable PUI business. Now its all about improving the bottom line by cutting away the positions Not the same company I joined.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Quit cutting too deep. It is tough to recover when you've cleared the bench.

RSS Feed </> Embed