Airbnb Reviews in San Francisco, CA

3.9

Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Culture, everyone is very passionate about the product. Passionate high level leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment, great people. Lots of perks and upper level management really cares about employees and the community of users.

Cons

Fast growing company, while we talk a lot about personal life and travel, workdays and weeks are long. As others mentioned some disorganization which can result in poor decisions.

Generally good but lack of accountability in work can be maddening.

Current Employee - Customer Experience Lead  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've met some of the most interesting and unique people from all backgrounds here; I can say that for most of my working time here I have genuinely loved my team and my colleagues. I've also had a lot of freedom to act and take decisions without tons of oversight, and I felt very empowered and happy about this. The compensation and benefits are good.

Cons

The freedom I mentioned above has started to go away; as they attempt to run themselves like a real company and not a start-up, there is a sensation of an iron fist clamping down on us. Trying to become a real company (with accountability, transparency, and future profitability) without becoming corporate is hard. Right now I don't feel that Airbnb is doing very well with that.

Perks and benefits and 'fun!' don't make a place worth working for the long haul; it's about more than that. To be a great place to work, the actual WORK has to go well. There is too little focus on this generally.

No egos, great people, understanding management, and a wonderful mission.

Current Employee - Employee Experience  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than a year

Pros

Airbnb is the best place to work for 2 reasons. The product and the people. Travel fundamentally changed my life for the better, and I truly believe that building global empathy can be built on travel and connection. This, in turn, will bring humanity to a better place. I'm ridiculously lucky to contribute to this mission everyday thru my normal job.

The people at this company are more humble, more interesting, more curious, and more kind than any other group of people I've ever been a part of. I've built long-lasting relationships with co-workers, and felt incredibly accepted throughout my entire tenure. Grabbing lunch here and meeting someone new everyday is an adventure and a good experience.

Cons

Many times we are victims of hypergrowth. This can internally manifest itself as constantly re-vamping processes, that only work for a short amount of time. Hiring people non-stop is hard anywhere. You have to get them up to speed and make sure they can't damage results.

Never stop being ethical. Keep communicating honestly. Never forget the customers we serve and how meaningful airbnb is to them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An exciting ride, definitely going places!!!

Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working for Airbnb is challenging, stimulating, and makes you feel like you are a part of something that is growing and changing every day, constantly evolving and moving forward. I love that! My team is incredibly supportive of one another, and takes the time to both provide helpful/constructive feedback, and also genuine appreciation/recognition on a regular basis. The perks/benefits/food are wonderful, and I also love the physical office space: can't believe I get to go there every day! Basically, this company gives you the opportunity to have a real voice and a real impact, no matter what your job title. Airbnb has also been intentional and careful about maintaining it's unique culture, and hiring people that are not only technically very skilled, but are also good human beings all around.

Cons

At least on my team, we are still working out the kinks in our processes and trying to keep up with the rapid growth. Things that used to work on a smaller scale have become a bit unwieldy, and so on top of our regular work, we are trying to update our workflow/processes. Sometimes I just wish there were more hours in the day! On the other hand, this gives us an opportunity to have a real impact on the way the department operates, which is cool!

Continue to treat every employee as though they matter and you care about us: this is something you already do very well, so I hope it can continue! Also, continue the balance of constructive vs. positive feedback: both are extremely important! Transparency and communication are also key: yet again, just keep it up.

Amazing Culture. Amazing People. Amazing Company!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people here are inspiring, passionate, motivated, scrappy, helpful and believe in what we are doing. The departments work well across the spectrum. The company culture here is fantastic and I have never experienced anything like it before joining Airbnb. I have worked at some pretty amazing places, but I have never experienced such an amazing culture as we have here at Airbnb. The people here truly want to make the world a better place.

Cons

If you don't want to work at a company where the people, product and culture will inspire you, then this place isn't for you.

Keep doing what you are doing, cause this place rocks!

Very lovable place

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, opportunities, growth and freedom.

Cons

Still a start-up feel so there's little structure put in place (which is awesome for builders like me!)

Keep communication lines open and decisions made throughout all levels.

Wonderful group of crazy, creative types making amazing things happen every day

Current Employee - IT Systems Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - IT Systems Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

We work hard and have a lot of fun doing it. The offices are beautiful and the food is healthy and delicious.

Cons

Things are growing fast and the hours are often very long. We have new challenges in managing that growth every day.

Keep learning, keep getting better and keep sharing your successes. It's always difficult to keep communication flowing well when we're growing this fast. So far we're making headway in improving our cross-departmental communication, but I'm pretty sure it's going to take constant attention.

It's a resume builder and nothing more

Current Employee - Shift Deputy  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Deputy in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's nice to have food and coffee everyday without having to think about it. It's also nice not to have to grocery shop anymore living in SF. I'm a big fan of dogs in the office (since I like most of them more than the humans)

Cons

Management is a uneducated group of thugs who don't have any real-world people management experience. Airbnb needs to invest in a management team (from the top down) that understands people management and employee retention- not just those who repeat what HR says to them with deaf ears.

HR - This is a group you go to when you have an issue and need help deciding on the best options available for you. I hardly talk to HR as I've heard nothing but horror stories of the team overall. Ive had colleagues talk to HR and mysteriously "quit" very soon after. It's honestly a bit crazy.

Airbnb likes to promote from within. This means they promote individuals who lack essential skills to grow and scale teams and processes.

Promote people in the company with the SKILLS to do the job. If you don't have those people, HIRE people to do it. Don't continue to promote managers without management skills. It's very hard to work when you're teaching your manager how to manage you.

Airbnb is an inspiring place to work that brings out the best in those who are not afraid to take ownership.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

Just about every metric I can think of at Airbnb is trending up. This includes, but not limited to, business, management, compensation, food, morale, and quality of codebase. The energy is amazing.

Cons

You have to take ownership. To succeed at Airbnb you need to be willing to be the one to fix the problem and lead by example, not the one to complain about it.

Disappointing Experience But Looks Great on Paper.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very smart, forward thinking people. Nice benefits, equipment, other perks.

Cons

Very smart people with huge egos and unfriendly, cliquey vibe. Young management cares a lot about PR and creating a glamorous company. Seeing the ROI numbers makes me question sustainability of spending. Expect to take a 20-40% pay cut to work here.

C-level management spreads themselves too thin. Get to market rate salaries so you can hire highly experienced VPs and let them work freely instead of trying to micromanage teams.

Worked for Airbnb? Contribute to the Community!