Airbnb

Updated January 28, 2015
4.5

Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Pros
  • lots of perks (free food, travel coupons, parties etc, etc) (in 8 reviews)

• Great people to work with, everyone is super friendly (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Weekend shifts, work-life balance is not so easy to maintain sometimes (in 5 reviews)

• There are some growing pains associated with the very rapid growth of the development team (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

80 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Once in a lifetime opportunity

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+ "The people" is the #1 reason most employees say they chose/continue to work here. The company is filled with some of the smartest, most interesting, engaging people I've ever met.
    + The mission is life changing. Knowing that you're working to help people around the world connect in meaningful ways, see parts of the world that they wouldn't otherwise be able to, keep their homes, follow their dreams, etc. drives the workforce and fuels the energy. Everyone knows and speaks the core values regularly.
    + Creativity and entrepreneurism are encouraged.
    + Interesting, challenging work, day in and day out. You'll never be bored. Don't like how work is going? Wait 2 months. It'll be totally different.
    + The culture affords incredible personal growth.
    + Executives genuinely caring about how happy, engaged, and creatively challenged the workforce is.
    + Commitment to long-term growth, plus unbelievable long-term potential.
    + Perks that make you feel like you've won the lottery: quarterly travel stipends; 4 hours a month paid to devote to community service; healthy, organic, locally sourced, seasonal food 3 meals a day plus snacks, all made in-house, plus delicious drinks on tap (sparkling water, kombucha, beer, wine, plus an OJ machine - best OJ you've ever had); monthly mini massages; weekly meditation sessions and yoga classes several times a week, plus things a generous maternity/paternity leave package, to name a few. Plus, every perk speaks back to our core values.

Cons

For all of these, the executives are aware and are working on it.
    + The work/life balance needs improvement (it can be especially hard on relationships), although it's gotten far better over the years. (Just a result of the incredible growth over the past few years.)
    + Equity was less fairly distributed in the past, although that's been changing for the better over time.
    + Last-minute requests (including business travel) come up more regularly than they should.
    + Inter-departmental communication is challenging, and sometimes totally lacking, as we're growing so quickly.
    + Meetings should be more efficient.
    + There's too few processes establishes for an organization this size.

***If you do not truly embrace and thrive on change and would rather have a system that's already well established and things are hammered out, then this is not the place for you. People who would be bored without constant change flourish here. (It's a good sign if you're one of those people who would normally quit after 6 months because you're doing the same thing, then you'll love it here. Your role will change a few times over in that span.)

Ensure that:
    - planning and preparations are thoroughly thought out
    - there's a key stakeholder in every department/major initiative who's considering what the impact of a project is on other departments
    - "urgent" truly is urgent so that middle management isn't in a firefighting mindset and everyone has creative time to think

Great culture, perks, and managers

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love my manager! I feel that my department is not usually respected in other companies, but we are in this one. I've traveled for work a good bit (not required) this year as opportunities have come up to visit our other offices. The health benefits are great, and mostly employer paid. The food program is outstanding. It's inspiring to be around such intelligent people with so many varied hobbies and backgrounds.

Cons

There isn't any 401k match at the moment.

Keep up the leadership training and keep two way communication flowing

I researched the culture, the values and the perks. I kind if hoped it would be awesome and it is.

Current Employee - Senior Safety Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Safety Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

High pay, smorgasbord of perks, valuable stock options, and amazing tech projects. I could not have hoped for a better company to work for and it has turned to exactly as I had hoped.

Cons

The place is filled with smarties, it can be hard to standout; there's pressure to work all the time and spend what remains of your time on campus, too; it has a huge company feel and you can end up feeling like a number.

The best kind of adventure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One of our core values is to embrace the adventure, and that's something that everyone in our Airfam seems to live by. Working alongside my colleagues brings me much energy and joy, as they are incredibly bright people and you can feel how much we care for one another and for our entire Airbnb community outside the walls of the office.

As for perks, the food is amazing, the quarterly travel coupon is wonderful, and the culture, driven by incredibly passionate and genuinely curious people, is incredible.

Cons

Cross-functional information can get lost at times- a product of rapid growth- and that is something that we are working to mitigate as we continue to grow.

Keep up the tight-knit, family feel.

Fun company full of wonderful caring people

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing - passionate, competent, quirky and interesting. The perks are fantastic. The rapid growth makes it a great place to learn, since you're constantly solving new technical and social problems. You really can own your own impact and find the best projects for yourself; this requires being able to argue for your point of view, but learning how to do that is a great opportunity in itself. The company really does care about the users, and has a fundamentally positive impact on the world.

Cons

The office is crazy crowded, which can make it hard to focus. Hiring lots of new grads means a lot of time is spent answering questions and trying to train the recruits. Also, the interview load is pretty heavy. People tend to work A LOT, so it can be hard to define boundaries and disconnect.

First and foremost, trust your people! There's no need to personally involve yourself in every project. Let people work on what's viable instead of coming up with dozens of pie-in-the-sky ideas while leaving basic problems unsolved. Focus on the core experience, which still needs a lot of work.

Innovative company, amazing culture

Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Experience Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Culture is one of a kind at Airbnb
    COworkers are intelligent, creative, and inspiring

Cons

Not a lit of room for growth, typical if a startup. There is an opportunity to stay on -job retention o.k, however with any company going public, finding a way to streamline processes and monitor cost of doing business means change.

Communicate changes as they are being discussed if possible.

I don't know how things can get better

Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Travel credits, three amazing meals per day, free massages, friday evening open bar happy hours, nap rooms, the coolest office in SF, ability to stay as close to the product as possible, transit/parking benefits, etc., etc., etc. - such a new company that you have the ability to create more/new/better benefits

Cons

no gym subsidy, happy hours are only in SoMa

Stay connected to everyone, I feel a shift with some of the newer e-staff members who seem above it. Maybe they're too caught up in their jobs, but it doesn't hurt to stay hello and smile while walking around the office. Company culture comes from the top.

A great adventure

Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People, people, people, people
    Strong, warm, family feeling among the team
    Focus on balance (has gotten better over time)
    Getting better at becoming a grown-up company without feeling too corporate

Cons

Performance reviews, compensation changes, and anything HR can take a while

If we have to be "corporate", let's do it in the least corporate way possible.

Keep listening to feedback and acting on it quickly.

Do crazy things but don't be crazy.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The whole company is moving with a very fast pace. The whole eng team is on a single floor and it's easy to get things done. Very open and friendly culture. Decent compensation with considerable amount of stocks.

Cons

Tech stack has been growing organically in the past which means you need to put some effort to be on top of everything. Eng org is expanding crazily so you must learn to embrace change. Work space is small and a bit noisy. It'll get better once we have another floor. 15+ minutes walk to Bart or Caltrain, which is far enough to make you hate walking. No free parking.

Keep up the good work!

At Home

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Airbnb is the type of place that if it fits with you, then it *really* fits. The co-workers are incredibly fun, interesting, talented people who have a lot of stories to share. I always feel at home coming in to the office.

Great culture and generally a pleasant place to be. As an engineer, there is a good amount of challenge.

Cons

The culture can lead to long work hours. It's mostly because people are passionate about what they do, but it can make it feel like late nights are expected even if they're not.

Empower the product team more.