Airbnb Reviews

• San Francisco, CA
4.7
Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Airbnb employee from the early days

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee experience at Airbnb has improved over the last year and I believe it will keep getting better. I started as an hourly employee and the company has rewarded me for hard work, creativity, and ongoing contributions by allowing and encouraging me to work in a variety of roles. I've been able to learn from multiple teams and mentors and that has strengthened my cross-functional skills. The company also encourages travel and they help employees offset the cost. Additionally, I'm constantly encouraged to take ownership of my primary role within the company and I feel like a business owner within the business. I feel very valued as an employee here!

Cons

I do wish that employees could work remotely more, and not just under special circumstances. But I understand why we can't. I also think there's some managers within the company that still "look down upon" those who strive for work-life balance. They need to stop that or people, really quality employees, will leave.

Advice to Management

My direct manager is fantastic, and has also been with the company many years. But if I could advise other managers who didn't start with Airbnb in the early years, it would be to not feel threatened by your direct reports and the initiatives they want to take. Don't micromanage them and don't insist on being apprised of every single idea they have. Let them grow, let them take chances, and let them learn from their mistakes. Don't be power hungry because everyone will see right through you. Your type is very easy to spot, and not easy to trust.

Great business in spite of itself

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of energy, very smart and friendly people, incredible food program. The founders are good guys, well-meaning, even if their lack of experience comes through (which it does frequently). For a Silicon Valley company, Airbnb is about as diverse as you'll find, which is a huge plus. Very mission driven, but often in a naively optimistic way.

Cons

No understanding of work-life balance - just zilch. This causes burnout and selects for the young, energetic, and naive. The company really needs wisdom and experience in leadership, particularly right now during this period of fast growth, but it's currently loaded with yes-men that won't say no to the founders. In fact no one says no to the founders, even when their ideas are laughable. Employees are highly expendable - like family one minute, being shown the door the next.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics. Make the core product your sole focus. Stop trying to save the world. The best way you can do that is simply to get more people to travel, more people to open their homes to strangers from around the world. Don't ignore or minimize the effect on housing in cities - Airbnb can be a true force for good and find a way to help not hurt. Rethink how you off-board employees - keep people in the family, don't show them the door like strangers.

3. The happiest I've ever been...

Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Sourcer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is like a huge family, where everyone is empowered to make an impact. We work together to champion the mission, embrace the adventure, get work done, and to have fun in and outside of work. It is such an inspiring place to me on a daily basis, and I believe so much in the work we are doing. Brian, Nate and Joe are also some of the most inspiring people I have worked for and they genuinely care about personal and professional growth. I can say with confidence that this is the best company I have ever worked for...and I spent a long time at Apple and a recruiting startup. My team is very driven but is also really adamant about work/life balance and my manager supports me in my personal and professional goals. I could probably go on and on and on...but I think you get the idea.

Cons

Like all companies that are growing quickly, we have our growing pains...but that's why you have to embrace the adventure and keep on your toes to work here and be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting your employees and listening to them. You've done a great job so far...and I have faith that you will continue doing it.

Amazing place to work, better than Facebook

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a software engineer that previously worked at Facebook. I can definitely say that the work here is more exciting than my previous company. Airbnb is a much smaller company and each engineer plays a large role in the impact of the company. I enjoy the company culture and you'll feel a ton of energy in the office. We move fast and are always making big changes to our product. As a engineer here, you get a lot of say over how the product is designed and control on what projects you want to work on.

Cons

The benefits are great but the perks can not match Facebook. We don't have a large campus, no gym, small food selection and no shuttle busses.

6. Amazing place with huge growth potential!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb

Pros

The culture here is amazing and so in line with the company's hospitable values! The was the place is set up makes you feel very comfortable and at home. Everyone is welcoming and excited to collaborate and the team members are all extremely passionate and talented. There's a huge opportunity to move up in this company and hard work is truly valued here.

Cons

Because the growth of the company is so accelerated , it can sometimes be demanding on your time and a challenge to juggle everything. If you are not one who knows how to multi-task, this place may not be for you.

7. Inspiring!

Current Employee - Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyday I feel beyond lucky to work at a company with such an incredible culture and wonderful people. I am so inspired by the work I am involved with and constantly amazed by the caliber of my colleagues. Creativity is central, and rethinking status quo is standard. Airbnb is a mission-driven organization and you can directly see the value of your contributions to big and impactful goals.

Cons

The work can be utterly addicting. There is still very much a start-up culture and each person could easily be replaced by three. Most people here log long hours, but it's of our own choosing.

8. Big Commitment, Big Rewards

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of things that make my job great:
     - a majority of the employees at Airbnb is committed to the company's mission
     - the benefits and perks are the best you'll find
     - the founders are very good complements to each other, which provides great balance at the top
     - there's a lot of flexibility in when and how you work -- although there is a lot of work
     - I love my team and manager
     - dogs in the office!
     - the office is located in the city (no suburban office park here!)
     - there's very little "red tape" -- founders and e-staff are accessible and open
     - I've gotten to travel quite a bit for work, both domestically and internationally
     - for data science, there's encouragement for us to be continuously learning and developing our skills
     - two weeks off (for almost everyone in the company) over the winter holidays

Cons

There are some things that could be improved:
     - accountability is lacking in a lot of ways; some teams could be challenged more to meet goals/targets
     - the environment at the office is really chaotic and makes it hard to get much done (this should get better once we move onto our new floor)
     - we spend money on things that sometimes seem frivolous
     - the work/life balance aspect of the job leaves a lot to be desired

Advice to Management

- keeping balance at the top (between metrics, design, growth, culture, etc.) is key to our continued success
     - holding people accountable and having tough conversations is not counter to our culture; we want to be surrounded by high achievers
     - provide ways to ensure more tenured employees feel refreshed so they avoid burnout and cynicism

9. Rocket Ship Full of Amazing People

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Past places I've worked at have really messed up on the culture and Airbnb is the opposite. You can tell the founders care a lot about the company, culture and their colleagues. You can tell people are happy right when you walk in the door. I used to dread Sunday evenings because I would have to go to work and now I look forward to them.

The hiring process may be a bit slow, but they really do hire well. Everyone here is super nice, smart and hard working.

Also, because of the fast pace that this company is growing at you get to work on a crazy amount of cool stuff and have a huge impact.

Cons

The work life balance here can be tricky sometimes because there's so much to do. Also, I never thought I'd say this, but sometimes there are too many social events which seem to be focused on the party crowd alone.

Advice to Management

Keep kicking butt. My main advice is to maybe have more diverse social activities.

10. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

Really friendly people - it's sometimes surprising how genuinely enthusiastic people are about getting to know each other.
    The perks - 3 healthy/delicious meals a day (I save so much $$ on groceries!), travel coupon ($500 credit every quarter = $2000/year in Airbnb credits), full medical/dental/vision(!)
    The mission - I feel proud to work at a company that has a social element to its mission, it's not only empowering people economically while taking advantage of under-utilized space, but it's also making the world a smaller, more connected place by fostering intimate cross-cultural experiences.

Cons

It's growing so quickly that it can be difficult to keep track of who's in charge of what.
    The company's priorities around marketing and design can sometimes seem strange given the threats to its business model from a regulatory standpoint. It'd be great if there was more transparency with employees (and users) around these issues.

11. A Magical, Challenging, Ongoing Party with Some of the Best People in the World

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My favorite part about working at Airbnb is the dedication of the founders. They are often here before me or working later than anyone in the office. Coming from another start up where the founders were constantly traveling or just MIA, this dedication speaks volumes about the overall energy in Airbnb. The founders show a genuine wonder at the company they've built, and that humble attitude translates into an incredible work environment. The culture and core values are actively embraced by everyone. I would look forward to grabbing lunch or happy hour with any single coworker. As a rapid growth company, the work is challenging but rewarding. You will impact the company with the work that you do.

Cons

This is not a company that hands out gold stars. Everyone works hard, and they expect and trust others to work hard. You are not micromanaged, which is a Pro in my book. If you're someone that needs your responsibilities and goals spelled out, this is not the environment for you.

Advice to Management

Keep telling the founding story, and keep the incredible sense of excitement and wonder!