Airbnb

Updated November 24, 2014
4.3

Airbnb CEO & Co-Founder Brian Chesky
Brian Chesky

Pros
  • Great work environment, great people (in 4 reviews)

• The people at this company are more humble, more interesting, more curious, and more kind than any other group of people I've ever been a part of (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, long decision making process (in 4 reviews)

• No opportunity to move up/around for Customer Service staff (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

49 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I look forward to each day at Airbnb

Current Employee - Data Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation/Benefits:
    Industry competitive compensation (including equity program), 100% coverage for health, dental, and vision insurance. This year (2014), we'll be shutting down the office for the last two weeks in December (in addition to my 2 weeks of vacation + 5 Holidays).

Day-to-Day:
    Working in data at Airbnb is an exciting place to be. We're currently a small team (but scaling upward), which allows for a lot of creative input into the future direction of the company's data culture. In my 6 months at Airbnb, I've gained ample exposure to trending Bay Area data technologies (Hadoop/Hive/Presto), and work with a highly capable team of tremendously smart individuals.

Food Program:
    All meals are provided (free of charge) by our world class culinary team. This includes breakfast, lunch, dinner, and various snacks throughout the day. We also have an excellent coffee/tea program (Da La Paz coffee/Four Barrel Espresso/). If it's your thing, you can also make your own espresso drinks on an industrial La Marzocco machine (after going through a training session).

Office Space:
    The Airbnb office space is incredible. Ours is an open workspace with tons of natural lighting (skylights and large windows). The workspace has become a bit crowded/noisy in recent months, but things should improve when the 3rd floor renovation is complete. This will increase our available floorspace and meeting room capacity by 150%. We're also planning to move to 100% self-actuating sit/stand desks in the future.

Culture:
    The working culture at Airbnb is very relaxed, allowing you to show who you really are. People are very accepting and genuine, so there's no need to put on your corporate work facade each day. The company also works hard to keep a good social element. Weekly Friday happy hours (rotating between creative on-site events, and bartabs at local establishments) are always a good place to start your weekend, and meet folks in other teams. We also have seasonal parties (Thanksgiving, Winter Holiday Party, Summer Celebration, One Airbnb ), which are highlights on the social calendar. For Summer Celebration this year, we bussed the entire company to Russian River for a full day on the river.

Travel Culture:
    Being a travel/hospitality company, we're highly encouraged to use our product. We're given a $2000 travel stipend on Airbnb ($500 quarterly). Long multi-week vacations are encouraged.

Cons

No 401k Match available

Airbnb is a relatively young company, where there still figuring things out. Things are moving fast, which can be frustrating for some people. Yesterday's strategy may differ entirely from todays, which may require more adaptability than is typical for most jobs. Prior to joining Airbnb, I worked for large companies with more traditional data cultures. Best practices were better established, and the tools were more stable. At Airbnb, things are quite the opposite, which has often led to frustration. But, overall, I think the challenge is worthwhile.

Passionate company and transformative product

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Working on a product based around travel (opportunities to travel on Airbnb around the world)
    - Free food 3 meals a day!
    - Amazing impact on cities and individuals
    - Tons of opportunity for impact
    - Leadership training opportunities for many people
    - Relatively flat structure

Cons

- Growing pains transitioning from a smaller startup to a successful larger company
    - Only recently started doing performance reviews so still getting ramped up to new process

Great place, improving quickly

Current Employee - Communications Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Lots of opportunities for growth
    - Smart people, motivated and pull off projects well

Cons

- Can feel disorganized
    - Company mission feels a bit evangelical at times

A great place to work

Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (less than an year)

Pros

+ The best talent
    + A wonderful culture
    + Great people
    + Huge potential

Cons

- Low compensation
    - Moving slower and taking less risks

Focus on bringing new hires into the culture

Fun, collaborative company that takes care of its employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time

Pros

The culture is very laid-back, collaborative and friendly. People are very talented, especially the creatives. Great benefits include free food (breakfast, lunch and dinner), snacks, company-paid healthcare, etc. Plus there's even an espresso machine for employee use!

Cons

The company is still trying to catch up to its exponential growth. Groups can still improve on communicating and working more closely together, and there are ongoing efforts to do so.

Airbnb is the type of company you dream to work for

Current Employee - Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Employee Experience in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+ We are working for a mission and on a product that truly matters
    + Strong Core Values
    + Supportive and inspiring leadership
    + Genuine, friendly and smart peers
    + It's a fun place to be! The energy is infectious.

Cons

- Moving at full speed constantly, there is zero breathing room or down time

High Energy and High Impact Opportunity

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing energy and motivation across the Company. Clear focus on making a positive impact and doing things differently. Co-workers are very intelligent and dedicated to doing the best work possible. Airbnb takes great care of its employees - more so than any company I've seen to date including Google. The perks and work environment are carefully thought out for what people really want instead of creating a laundry list of things to try to impress people.

Cons

Work-life balance is challenging and there are definite growing pains. Many early employees are learning to adjust to the change of being a growing, now mid-size company - some are doing better than others unfortunately. This causes some politics from time to time and leads to some employee turn-over. The average age of employees is in the mid-20s and the social activities definitely cater to younger people. Employees with families and other responsibilities definitely get left out from time to time.

Keep connecting with all employees, especially new ones, and driving home the core values. They are important and impactful.

Exciting Place to Work!

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work is meaningful and you see how it impacts the company. The teams are focused on the right things and I really enjoy everything about the environment.

Cons

I need to clone myself so I can accomplish everything I'd like. Happens with hypergrowth but it's a great problem to have.

Wonderful company!

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing group of people work here. They work hard, they work fast and they work long hours but they are building a company that has a great mission and is doing things right. Great time off around the holidays and travel credit. Very inspiring! Great benefits, fair compensation and strong company values

Cons

Can be hard to get away from work at times to unplug

Airbnb is the best place I have ever worked in my life!

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing culture, fun and laid back people, great food!, passionate projects and interesting work. and dogs!

Cons

figuring out growing pains of hyper-growth