Airgas

Updated January 19, 2015
2.6

Airgas President & CEO Michael Molinini
Michael Molinini

Pros
  • Good pay, fair chance to advance, good benefits for a family with children (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay for upper management, job security as long as one looks the other way (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can lose touch with the line worker from time to time (in 13 reviews)

• No Cons for people who want to put safety and customer service first (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, my experience working with this company has not been what I expected.

Current Employee - Plant Operator in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Plant Operator in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Airgas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company prides itself on safety. There is extensive training provided for its associates to ensure a continued legacy of its safety record. The benefits are pretty good given the state of the economy and pay is fair.

Cons

Management is horrible. They all want management pay but none want management responsibilities. There is no communication between fields that could ensure prompt and efficient delivery of our products to customers. Airgas brags about hiring in house for vacated jobs that could be a promotion, but they use the good ole boy system and bring in outside buddies.

Don't take on a task or position you know you cannot handle. Customers pay our salaries, not shareholders. Learn how to keep proper inventory, manage your staff effectively and listen to the customer.

good company

I worked at Airgas

Pros

awesome pay and a good computer system however, there was not a lot of supervision available when you had questions. The building we worked in was less than glamorous, but the pay was worth it.

Cons

The building we worked in was less than glamorous, but the pay was worth it.

Horrible organization, poor structuring, poor management

Current Employee - Total Access Specialist in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Total Access Specialist in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Airgas full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hourly rate with excellent bonus opportunity.

Cons

Glorified telemarketing. They force you to call on weak lead sheets to customers you truly have no need for their services. I was promised warm leads that were really ice cold. No direction from management and company is currently going through so many organizational changes that they have no idea what they are doing or what to tell their employees.

Get you stuff together and define your regions that you want your employees working in. Weed out the poor leads and provide solid opportunities for your workforce. I found myself calling on companies that were closed and in some cases even deceased.

Meh

Former Employee - Plant Operator in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Plant Operator in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Airgas

Pros

Great pay, free equipment, good co-workers, supervisors and managers assist and do daily task that the peons do.

Cons

Push for safety but lack safety when it comes down to production

Visit your Waukesha Acetylene plant, for roughly 6 and 1/2 weeks they have had a bypass on one of the Emergency plant shutdown buttons because they are too lazy to fix it. OSHA would be all over that.

Acquisition Driven Company

I have been working at Airgas

Pros

Job security is a plus.

Cons

Since it is an acquisition driven environment and they also switched to a new ERP package rapidly and without time to streamline it's capabilities, it seems as though the policies and procedures are falling sadly behind. Quick fixes of issues seem to be the answer instead of implementing changes to fix the issues. Little to no guidance from leadership.

Steady Decline

I have been working at Airgas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Above average pay, very good benefits. Starting vacation/PTO that has considerable increase with seniority.

Cons

I have to agree with other reviews, since the restructuring work has been a nightmare. The branches have had so much thrown at them, resulting in 70 hour work weeks, the need for super hero abilities and customer service that has gone by the way side. You try so hard to keep up and it's never enough. We have a crippled operations department due to terrible management, but there is zero accountability. Customer complaints are through the roof, and there is little that you can do to remedy the situation. Upper management is so out of touch, they are more concerned with whether or not your showroom has been dusted as opposed to the fact that you want to run screaming from the building every day. If you want decent pay for ulcers and migraines, if you don't mind your reasonable requests falling on deaf ears and your dignity being whittled away on a daily basis then this is the company for you.

I understand that your "bottom line" is important, and you should understand that to keep it healthy cutting corners isn't always the answer. Wage freezes and lack of increases are understandable from time to time, closing whole departments and dumping the work of what used to be a group of 30+ on to a group of 5 is unreasonable. You are trying to boast an "average Joe" mentality with your branches while asking them to be AR, customer service, complaint department.... Raisng prices on the small business while lowering prices for the big guys, and wondering why we lose the business.
    There are too many emtpy suits barking orders without the slightest idea as to what a day in the life of really is.
    You are driving away the people that truly care about what they do, and eventually that will come back to effect your precious bottom line.

Worst management from the plant to the top offices

Former Employee - Production Operator IV in Port Allen, LA
    Former Employee - Production Operator IV in Port Allen, LA

I worked at Airgas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, vacation days and sick time was very good, my hours wasn't bad either,

Cons

Management management, one of the worst I've ever seen, Airgas Hires unqualified employees to get the job done and hey wonder why the turnover rate for the production department is through the roof. Outdated equipment, lazy coworkers and the boss sitting in his office not knowing what's going on in his own plant. The starting rate of pay was $16 a hour don't expect to get paid that you might reach 12 to $13 a hour, no raises they will have 3 wage freezes in 1 year then when you asked they beat around the bush. The Job was a good job but the culture and organization was horrible at the Port Allen, Louisiana location, stay away from this company.

Find another logic because everything your doing isn't working, reward your coworkers with something better besides cheap pizza hut pizza.

Not a bad place

I worked at Airgas

Pros

Nice people and atmosphere to be in.

Cons

Not really a place for a long term career

"VERY STRESSFUL POSITION AT BRANCH MANAGER"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Owensboro, KY
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in Owensboro, KY

I have been working at Airgas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities (hire within) The pay is decent. As a manager, you get to have a flexible work schedule. Casual clothing policy.

Cons

Airgas restructured in 2012 and since then everything has gone down hill at the local branches. It helped the company overall as a corporation and stock pricing, but upper management has continually thrown additional responsibilities to the branch managers to the point that everything they want done CAN'T be done because there are not enough hours in the day. I have been with the company seven years, and this is by far the most stressful year I've had. Since the restructure, our region alone has had to replace at least 15 branch managers because of the impossible demands.
    As a manager of a small branch, you are expected to fill in for your employees that call in sick or are on vacation AND do your job. You end up doing everybody's job. At a large branch, you have the luxury of delegating responsibilities for some of these areas. At times, I have worked upward to 70 hours a week or more. Some weeks I have worked 35 hours.
    Airgas used to boast one of the best cultures anywhere, but after the consolidation and added work, people have gotten burned out and resentful.
    The welding supply industry is a stressful industry to work in because customers are very demanding and all their needs are emergencies it seems.

Please look at the turnover of Branch Managers as proof that the current system isnt working. By consolidating corporate offices and then turning around and putting the responsibility back on the branch is a step backwards. I see the turnover to continue.

Airgas USA,LLC is good company to work for

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Hapeville, GA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Hapeville, GA

I worked at Airgas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company has great opportunities for advancement, good benefits and a chance to meet some great people.

Cons

The HR department should be more involve with the branches