Airgas

Updated February 20, 2015
2.6

Airgas President & CEO Michael Molinini
Michael Molinini

Pros
  • Good pay, fair chance to advance, good benefits for a family with children (in 14 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay for upper management, job security as long as one looks the other way (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can lose touch with the line worker from time to time (in 13 reviews)

• No Cons for people who want to put safety and customer service first (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good entry-level job.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Airgas

Pros

The incentives, bonuses, and benefits are great.

Cons

Too many people in one area.

The vendor contests are a great way to keep things running efficiently.

Great, stable company, with good long-term outlook but a reputation of working employees to the bone.

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Independence, OH
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Independence, OH

I worked at Airgas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company is forward thinking and aggressive. They will promote from within, up to a certain point. Medical and retirement benefits are good. Good pay and much paid overtime available. Your job is stable and you will be have the support of management with all issues you have.

Cons

You'll be working long hours. Most positions are 12 hour shifts, rotating into nights and weekends depending on quarterly schedule. Logistics center is 24/7 so some people will work 7pm-7am.

There is a terrible attitude around the office, with an ever constant fear of being fired prevalent. Fortunately, the fear is unfounded because only one person was fired during my multi-year tenure at Airgas Logistics Center. But the attitude exists because of poor organizational behavior. Any business student will tell you that attitudes in a workplace either work their way from the bottom up, or from the top down. At Airgas, the constant fear of being fired is definitely from the top-down.

A few years ago the company switched to a new routing software and made the horrible decision to go with a company who'd never designed such software before. This leads to more frustration, increase in workforce (and the related stress on management that comes with it). And, the job is increasingly more difficult.

You'll be asked to work more and more and more and more. I stress that, because you will feel like you never have any time off. Sure, you'll be handsomely paid for it, but it doesn't really matter if you can't strike a positive work/life balance.

Vacation time allotted is very low. Only 80 hours vacation per year for the first 5 years. Note that vacation is in hours and not weeks, because with 12 hour shifts, that only adds up to 6 days off per year.

Continue to promote from within. Give a better pay differential for night and weekend employees. Reward people who work the hard shifts by better bonuses and more time off.

Recent local acquisition of competitor displays nepotism in reverse.

I have been working at Airgas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Was a great place to work. Awesome people and very talented co-workers. Really liked my boss. Compensation as well as the benefits were very good for this area of the country. We had a very tough large independent distributor in town. It was fun and challenging to compete against them.

Cons

The management of the acquired competitor are now are bosses. They have taken some retribution out on there old competitors. Most of the original Airgas employees in the area have been demoted in some form or another. And many people from the acquired company have "stepped up" to fill the new management created voids based on pure nepotism. They also placed a un-anouced commission freeze in July, which cost the original Airgas AMs exponentially.

Good luck growing profits in a saturated market. Nepotism only works well for so long....

Good place

Current Employee - Accounting in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Accounting in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Airgas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Positive day to day. Good guidance from management.

Cons

Overturn caused by low pay

Improve pay to match what others using your system pay in the area.

Overall a good place to work.

Current Employee - Cost Accountant in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Cost Accountant in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Airgas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company has a good HR department that will listen to your concerns. Most management will work with your schedule to make it convenient to both parties when situations arise that prevent you from working 8-5.

Cons

Management typically puts the wrong people in the wrong position. Pay is not comparable to other companies in the area. Parking is too far away from building and frequented by homeless people. Salary employees are treated just like hourly employees and expected to be in the office 40 hours per week even when they have the ability to work from home.

Considering increasing employee pay and giving more PTO or Holidays. Employee morale could be a lot higher.

good company

I worked at Airgas

Pros

awesome pay and a good computer system however, there was not a lot of supervision available when you had questions. The building we worked in was less than glamorous, but the pay was worth it.

Cons

The building we worked in was less than glamorous, but the pay was worth it.

Get rid of the giant carpet that you sweep the problems under!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I worked at Airgas

Pros

Monday through Friday work week. Jeans on Friday.

Cons

These are just a few reasons to stay away from this company. You will not be promoted in sales unless your appearance and clothing fit the position. Not everyone can afford $300.00 purses and shoes to match especially with the recent pay cut to all account managers. This is not a equal opportunity employer. Managers locking people in offices is not allowed, this was ignored by human resources as well. Run from this company!

Other daily issues ignored by corporate and human resources.

Bullying by senior management, middle management, human resources and coworkers
    Blatant unaddressed racism
    Hostile work environment
    Unqualified management
    Poor corporate restructure
    Loss of clients due to inept management
    Continual intentional loss of income for representatives
    Lack of disciplinary action from HR and upper management for ongoing complaints
    No tenure based pay or account assignment
    Ongoing criticism and hostility from management
    Fear of retribution for reporting issues

These are just some of the problems unaddressed. Start treating your customers and employees with respect.

Start caring about more than your paychecks and your tight fitting clothes. Hire someone that knows more about SAP. This conversion is a nightmare.

in 35 years of driving this the worst place I have worked in my life

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Airgas

Pros

cant think of any reason why I would recommend to friend after my experience there

Cons

the challenges of working there is keeping your job. Job is threaten on a daily bases

what advice would I give to management .I cant answer this because IM not allowed to say what I think

Airgas West - Long Beach, CA HR Team - Run!

Former Employee - Human Resources in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Airgas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful place to learn how to be mircomanaged. Opportunities to teach your sr manager new thing and how to do her job.

Cons

Unethical and inappropriate HR team. They regularly make unprofessional comments and jokes about current employees - trust me no one is safe. They don't follow HR policy... Quite frankly they don't know the policy and make it up on the fly willynilly

Visit and watch test the HR team here in Long Beach

Horrible organization, poor structuring, poor management

Current Employee - Total Access Specialist in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Total Access Specialist in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Airgas full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great hourly rate with excellent bonus opportunity.

Cons

Glorified telemarketing. They force you to call on weak lead sheets to customers you truly have no need for their services. I was promised warm leads that were really ice cold. No direction from management and company is currently going through so many organizational changes that they have no idea what they are doing or what to tell their employees.

Get you stuff together and define your regions that you want your employees working in. Weed out the poor leads and provide solid opportunities for your workforce. I found myself calling on companies that were closed and in some cases even deceased.