Airgas

Updated November 26, 2014
2.6

Airgas President & CEO Michael Molinini
Michael Molinini

Pros
  • Good benefits, good pay, opportunity to advance and a great safety program (in 13 reviews)

• Good Pay, Great Hours with room to growth (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can lose touch with the line worker from time to time (in 12 reviews)

• Good customer service would enhance growth and higher profits (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Only South Division BSC

Former Employee - AR Supervisor in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - AR Supervisor in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Airgas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay for upper management, job security as long as one looks the other way
    Note in ratings below opinion is based on position at time

Cons

Horrible political environment, several very unqualified personnel in prestigious positions, preaches ethics and employee importance through video classes yet lacks both severely in every facet of corporate culture, poverty line pay for underlings though that maybe shifting upward recently due to high turnover and increasing tarnished reputation throughout metro Atlanta

Actually analyze individual placed in position of Director. Note how there is no production whatsoever from this individual and no difference in divisional profits post arrival 2 years later. Also take notice individual does not care enough to learn company SAP software system or attempt to understand simple industry specific terminology and processes.

Narrow minded management team

I have been working at Airgas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growing company that has a great product.

Cons

Inexperienced management team that work behind closed office doors or behind computers 90% of the day. For a company that says customer service is a priority, they are not willing to invest in the manpower to service their customers properly. No training. No processes or procedures in place.

Airgas West (California, Arizona, Nevada) this is not best place or time for sales representatives! Avoid!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Airgas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to be micromanaged to the n'th degree - constant phone calls, emails after hours and on weekends and commision plans that change with the direction of the wind to benefit the company then you will love this place!

Cons

Commission plans change with the direction of the wind to benefit the company so be careful. Also, the managers like to micromanage you to the n'th degree - constant phone calls, emails after hours and on weekends.
    They will tell you you are a value and part of the team to your face but realistically you have 90 day to hit your targets to obtain new business - don't unpack your bags. In addtion, lost of people are leaving - this is not a good sign.

Probably would be to sell the company to a competitor with overall strong leadership and management. They obviously don't want to be in business - just collect a paycheck.

Lazy mans paradise

Former Employee - Acetylene Gas Plant Operator
    Former Employee - Acetylene Gas Plant Operator

I worked at Airgas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, extra hours if you want theme, very stable market for goods

Cons

Nepotism and the good old boy net work are in full affect, regional and district management allow individual plants to run with no oversight unless a problem comes up, safety is preached but ignored, safety policies and all other policies are used as weapons and are more lime suggestions and as an affective way to keep production high and effective team work going. Retaliation is an everyday fact of life, for any complaint or perceived complaints, lowest pay on the industry most managers and plant level supervisors have zero integrity, accountability for individuals is zero 2 people will do 90% of the work while the other Sr employees take the credit and get the pay raises.

Ask your employees for their assessment of their immediate managers make this anonymous and you will get 100% truth from most employees devise a system that forces individual accountability and integrity don't just trust your " good friend " you have known and worked with for years....people motives change with life events and added powers

We believe in turnover to keep the staff young, cheap, and inline.

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Airgas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No one has a bigger catalog of hard goods to sell from. Most of the private label, Radnor, are good quality, good price offerings. Great employee stock purchasing program. Solid robotics sales support. We were given the latitude necessary to successfully grow our part of the business.

Cons

In my case, middle management didn't value marked and measurable improvements in revenue, staff, and inventory control. They needed to get rid of staff somewhere due to contractions in other business units. Months before my termination, I was told I was the highest paid manager. I believe this was a factor.

Airgas employees outside of corporate are in one of two camps. The people in the biggest camp are worried about losing their jobs, constantly feeling they could go at anytime for any number of reasons. The smaller camp behaves like they are beyond caring about their careers at Airgas, fire me, I don't care. Fear is cheaper than raises. Airgas believes in turnover to keep the staff young, cheap, and inline.

One of my staff complained about me to my manager. I was writen up. My manager didn't stop in to check out the situation or look into the matter with anyone else. He showed up with a disciplinary write-up for me to read and sign. No support, no questions. You have a complaint so you have failed as a manager. Many people at Airgas have known each other for a long time, and are married or related to each other. When negative consequences are handed out, don't expect them to be included. This is a real unprofessional non-merit based workplace.

For most people who work at Airgas, this is the best paying job they can hope to get. As such they are willing to put up with mountains of crap and an uncertain future to provide for their families today.

Hard work and good results will not ensure your future at Airgas, if this sounds like a "good fit," for you apply.

Get good enough at using SAP to measure basic business functions.
    Fix the on-going inventory shortages.
    Shortages at the fill plant back lose customers, time, and money.
    Change the corporate culture to one where employees are more focused on winning than avoiding the whip, this will help maximize growth.

Equality? Not here.

Former Employee - Plant Worker
    Former Employee - Plant Worker

I worked at Airgas full-time

Pros

Paycheck received. Daytime hours. Nice benefits. If you enjoy working for sneaky people that frown upon you and do not have the courtesy to speak when you speak first, this is the perfect place for you.

Cons

If you are a minority, they look down on you. I frequently caught them specifically micromanaging me and found out that they used other employees to spy on me. Although my job was to work in the plant, they made me responsible for cleaning toilets and taking out trash. This is just a job, my responsibility is to come to work, get the job done safely and efficiently; not to spend my breaks and lunches smiling in your face and singing kumbaya. However, they do NOT treat others in the same manner.

Be fair, respectful and kind to ALL individuals.

No focus

I worked at Airgas

Pros

Company is cash heavy. Products are sold at excellent profit margins. Stock is climbing. Many products to offer.

Cons

Management is not focused on consistent plans. One month the focus is on one set of issues then it changes without notice. All of the work you put into the previous plan is thrown out and is not to be mentioned again. Claim to be customer focused but it is more difficult to do business since SAP was implemented. The only thing wanted is a higher stock price. Management believes stockholders are more important than customers. If this attitude were reversed then both entities would be served. Good customer service would enhance growth and higher profits.
    Advancement is next to impossible if you perform well. To get promoted or move into another division, your immediate supervisor must approve. Most managers do not want to lose their hardest workers. Instead a mediocre or poor performer is given opportunities so that person becomes someone else's problem.

Airgas has the product line to dominate the marketplace. If they would support their customer service and sales departments by delivering products correctly and on time, customers would switch their business. Instead the accountants over analyze everything and it takes too long to react to the changing market. Promotion should be given to the best performers. Get in line with the pay at other chemical companies. Too many managers and not enough workers to serve customers.

Overworked, underpaid

Current Employee - Production Operator I in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Production Operator I in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Airgas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The fellow employees or (dirt bags) as management would put it are great to work with, good people.

Cons

Everything. You want to transfer or move up, they write you up or ask if you want to fill out a resignation form. they always want more work, and never give you a raise. this year they said that we where on a wage freeze due to the economy, and arg in the nyse was at its highest stock purchasing rate in 8 years and the profits for my location went up by $287,362. a month on average, and they cant give a $0.40/hr raise . Come on. management has no idea how to do some of the jobs, and corporate is just a bunch of blowhard paper pushers and number crunchers. I challenge mike molinini to come work in production for 1 month and recive the lousy $800 every 2 weeks paid. Airgas is way behind in times on the cost of living. praxair hires their guys at $3 /hr more than my wage now to start. I've been with Airgas for 5 years and new employees are getting hired on at more money. don't work here

Pull your head out and realize that with ought the hard workers you make no money. give us raises and treat us like humans

Seriously Another Wage Freeze For The Los Angeles Area Employees!!

Current Employee - Accounting Credit Finance in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Credit Finance in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Airgas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really not too much to like here at this place, free coffee is a stretch. Sometimes they let you leave for lunch and two take a quick smoke break.

Cons

Minimal training, bathrooms are gross, paranoid supervisors, creepy HR folks., dress code is pretty strict, lo pay and no ot.

Treat employees with respect.

Retailiation specialists!!!!!

I worked at Airgas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If u do what ur told even if its illégal you might keep your job!!!

Cons

Breaking laws to make money

Start over