Airgas Reviews

193 reviews filtered by

1. Worst management from the plant to the top offices

Former Employee - Production Operator IV in Port Allen, LA
    Former Employee - Production Operator IV in Port Allen, LA

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, vacation days and sick time was very good, my hours wasn't bad either,

Cons

Management management, one of the worst I've ever seen, Airgas Hires unqualified employees to get the job done and hey wonder why the turnover rate for the production department is through the roof. Outdated equipment, lazy coworkers and the boss sitting in his office not knowing what's going on in his own plant. The starting rate of pay was $16 a hour don't expect to get paid that you might reach 12 to $13 a hour, no raises they will have 3 wage freezes in 1 year then when you asked they beat around the bush. The Job was a good job but the culture and organization was horrible at the Port Allen, Louisiana location, stay away from this company.

Advice to Management

Find another logic because everything your doing isn't working, reward your coworkers with something better besides cheap pizza hut pizza.

Meh

Former Employee - Plant Operator in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Plant Operator in Waukesha, WI

I worked at Airgas

Pros

Great pay, free equipment, good co-workers, supervisors and managers assist and do daily task that the peons do.

Cons

Push for safety but lack safety when it comes down to production

Advice to Management

Visit your Waukesha Acetylene plant, for roughly 6 and 1/2 weeks they have had a bypass on one of the Emergency plant shutdown buttons because they are too lazy to fix it. OSHA would be all over that.

Acquisition Driven Company

I have been working at Airgas

Pros

Job security is a plus.

Cons

Since it is an acquisition driven environment and they also switched to a new ERP package rapidly and without time to streamline it's capabilities, it seems as though the policies and procedures are falling sadly behind. Quick fixes of issues seem to be the answer instead of implementing changes to fix the issues. Little to no guidance from leadership.

Steady Decline

I have been working at Airgas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Above average pay, very good benefits. Starting vacation/PTO that has considerable increase with seniority.

Cons

I have to agree with other reviews, since the restructuring work has been a nightmare. The branches have had so much thrown at them, resulting in 70 hour work weeks, the need for super hero abilities and customer service that has gone by the way side. You try so hard to keep up and it's never enough. We have a crippled operations department due to terrible management, but there is zero accountability. Customer complaints are through the roof, and there is little that you can do to remedy the situation. Upper management is so out of touch, they are more concerned with whether or not your showroom has been dusted as opposed to the fact that you want to run screaming from the building every day. If you want decent pay for ulcers and migraines, if you don't mind your reasonable requests falling on deaf ears and your dignity being whittled away on a daily basis then this is the company for you.

Advice to Management

I understand that your "bottom line" is important, and you should understand that to keep it healthy cutting corners isn't always the answer. Wage freezes and lack of increases are understandable from time to time, closing whole departments and dumping the work of what used to be a group of 30+ on to a group of 5 is unreasonable. You are trying to boast an "average Joe" mentality with your branches while asking them to be AR, customer service, complaint department.... Raisng prices on the small business while lowering prices for the big guys, and wondering why we lose the business.
    There are too many emtpy suits barking orders without the slightest idea as to what a day in the life of really is.
    You are driving away the people that truly care about what they do, and eventually that will come back to effect your precious bottom line.

6. Airgas West not what I expected

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Airgas

Pros

Minimal supervision. Flexible hours. Regular meetings with HR re performance.

Cons

Low rate of pay compared to industry peers. Frequent wage freezes. Not formal training.

Advice to Management

Radnor execs need to leave ivory tower and spend some quality time boots on the ground at west long beach office. I don't mean fly in on corporate jet from lunch - I mean stay for a few days. Talk with all departments. Especially hr and safety.

Not a bad place

I worked at Airgas

Pros

Nice people and atmosphere to be in.

Cons

Not really a place for a long term career

8. Airgas USA,LLC is good company to work for

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Hapeville, GA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Hapeville, GA

I worked at Airgas full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has great opportunities for advancement, good benefits and a chance to meet some great people.

Cons

The HR department should be more involve with the branches

Dead End

I have been working at Airgas full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a steady job and not hard to be fired, once in. Great for stock holders.

Cons

No real concern for safety, only false facade. Lowest paying in the industry in the administrative area. Management is all in bed together and have no real interest in the advancement of employees, unless you are in their circle of 'buddies'. The only concern is in regard to the stock holders. Nothing else. Acquisition company growing outside of it's means and not building a culture.

Advice to Management

It's all been said before and if I really were to say what I felt, I'd find myself out of a job. There is no real interest in cleaning up the mess in the Southern half of the US.

Back stabbers GALORE!!!

Current Employee - Driver in Billerica, MA
    Current Employee - Driver in Billerica, MA

I have been working at Airgas full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is now NO best reason to work here. Watch your back!! Even after they fire employees that were great workers they continue to talk smack about them. Of course they can't defend themselves, they r fired. If you complain about mgt they will target you for a firing. If you work a lot of OT they ask why??? Continued under CONS;

Cons

They pile work on you then say why does it take u so long, work safely but ya gotta go faster but slow down....HUH!!!! Politics in this place is running rampant.
    Safety meetings are a joke, they brush thru the info and give answers to the tests. Why do these "meetings"on a Friday when everyone wants to get out early or on time. Drivers ARE watched...WATCH OUT!! Your not allowed to use common sense. They treat everyone like they are children.

Advice to Management

Quit bashing fired employees as you look like idiots. Move on!!! Safety meetings are a joke, try actually training us. Leave the drivers be. No wonder they r all going UNION.

11. FP&A Intern with Airgas Coporate

Former Intern - FP&A Intern in Radnor, PA
    Former Intern - FP&A Intern in Radnor, PA

I worked at Airgas as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very organized company with established procedures and efficient processes. Comfortable office, friendly co-workers, and good work-life balance. Generous benefits, including employee stock plan.

Cons

Small office with limited opportunities at corporate headquarters. Company is very decentralized. Many at headquarters have been in their position for long periods of time, some going back to early days of company.

Advice to Management

Promote more development through moving people to different opportunites.