Airgas Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

2.6

Airgas President & CEO Michael Molinini
Michael Molinini

Pros
  • Pay is good after 10 years or so (in 10 reviews)

• Good benefits, good pay, opportunity to advance and a great safety program (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is paranoid to an extreme degree (in 7 reviews)

• Credit is not given where it is due and CUSTOMER SERVICE has gone to the wayside even though Airgas is all about the 3C's (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Driver  in  Cheshire, CT
    Current Employee - Driver in Cheshire, CT

I have been working at Airgas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, opportunity to advance and a great safety program.

Cons

It's a dangerous environment if you don't follow SOP and the safety program.

They should spend time with the "blue collar" employees. They should get their hands dirty so they can understand and know the whole panorama of the business.

Way to many uninformed CHIEFS that dont have a clue outside of thier office.

Former Employee - Distribution Manager  in  Hingham, MA
    Former Employee - Distribution Manager in Hingham, MA

I worked at Airgas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some of the benefits are good. The workers are good people, they try to do a good job despite the mgmt.

Cons

Where to begin. Safety takes a back door if THEY need something. Do as I say not as I do. Indefinite suspensions are givin out like candy at Halloween. As a driver your followed by mgmt to se if you put cones and chock blocks out or if you get out and lok at every stop even with cameras on board. Starting pay is horrible, about $19 hr. For this work??? Not good. Mgmt thinks all drivers are slackers and lazy according to former mgr. They don't appreciate the work done by drivers. Customer service is HORRIBLE. Drones in cubicles is all they are. Kiss butt or your targeted in this co.

Lighten up and help the employees not belittle or abuse them. Work WITH them not against them. As a team. OMG, TEAMWORK, IMAGINE THAT!!!!

Ready, FIRE, oh....were we supposed to aim first?

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Airgas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of great people in the trenches.

Cons

Upper management makes arbitrary changes to processes without vetting them with the associates who actually do the work. Process changes are made without proper analysis and how it will impact our ability to take care of the customer. Since combining regions and centralizing A/R, payroll and pricing teams, productivity has slowed to a crawl and customer complaints have sky rocketed. The good 'ol boy network is alive and thriving here - all across the country. Women in management are a rarity (can someone get Cheryl Sanburg to talk to these guys?!) and the opportunity for advancement is largely dependent on who you know, not what you know or how well you perform. The pay is middle of the road or lower, but HR will throw money at anyone threatening to unionize in order to shut them up. Annual raises barely cover a cost of living increase but are called a "merit" increase (laughable). Valuable associates are leaving and taking their knowledge with them, leaving a younger, inexperienced sales force. Plenty of advanced notice is given when the big wigs come to town so they don't get to see the "normal" way the business runs.

Pop in on random branches unannounced and talk to associates without telling them who you are and see what a real customer experiences. Provide honest-to-goodness training with live professionals - don't continue to rely so heavily on power point and online tests. We're a Fortune 500 company - start treating the associates like you give a darn about them. Talk to the folks under the stairs, under the glass ceiling and those who deliver the thousands of products we sell. Try asking THEM how to improve the company instead of relying on the regional presidents to give you the windex version. We are the ones who make this company run. We are the ones dealing with the customers who spend their hard-earned money here (or take it elsewhere where they're not gouged and nickel and dimed over arbitrary fees). Wouldn't it be great if we could have an episode of "undercover boss"??? This is a great company with tons more potential to be even better. Imagine how much better it could be if upper management really listened. Really. Listened.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good on paper BAD in practice.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I worked at Airgas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent benefits. Pay is in line with industry.

Cons

Limited opportunities for advancement (outside of sales department). Close to impossible to be approved for tuition reimbursement. No true open door policy. No way to anonymously voice concerns without fear of retaliation.

Look at your numbers. Why are you always hiring? Retention is a problem because of untrained managers. Line managers need additional training on how to motivate employees, how to right reviews, how to effectively take corrective action and many more. Lastly, treat your employees with respect and they will be loyal.

Ashamed

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Airgas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good insurance for a single person. Hours worked and locations available are a plus great group of people, the grunt workers that is.

Cons

So many and too many things to list. Not the same company i started working for years ago. Pay is limited for females and those who were not acquired through an acquisition . Forget about trying to even buy stocks , you get NO recogniton for years served except for your name in Airwaves. Big deal. An employee of 10+ years should be recognized for their loyalty to the company. Credit is not given where it is due and CUSTOMER SERVICE has gone to the wayside even though Airgas is all about the 3C's. Management has gone downhill since some have either left, moved to another region or
    Passed away. So tired of price increases that are not justified and screwing customers, honest customers who just want what they signed up for and no hidden fees. Tired of fixing problem after problem and doing administrative assistant duties all day. I didn't apply for an ar position so why would I be doing it for the last two years. Nothing stays the same for too long so you can't ever be comfortable with who you work with and form an good working relationship. People are constantly taking other positions sometimes simply because they can't handle what they have or they've messed up and management doesn't get rid of them but yet promotes them.
    I could go on and on. But McCausland needs to tell everyone to get back to the basics and it better happen quick or there are going to be a lot more employees leaving

LISTEN to your employees and actually do what you say you're going to do. Its not that hard and when you're employees say they need help. They really do , they're not just complaining as its always portrayed. Open upyour eyes and ears.

Great place to work with great growth potential

Current Employee - Director  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Airgas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ability to contribute outside normal job function

Cons

Male dominated industry. Few women in top positions.

Provide women with greater opportunities in leadership
    Onboarding needs improvement
    Talent management strategy greatly needed for retention

Poorest Management In The USA

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Dayton, OH

I have been working at Airgas full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good Pay, Great Hours with room to growth

Great Co-Workers other than Management.

Everyone tries to help, other than Management.

Cons

Worst management I have ever seen. Mangers do not care, mangers do not help, managers help the bad and kick the good workers to the curb.

Does not give raises.

Management never says "you did a good job" OR "thank you"

Push off work on good hard workers.

Need Better Management.

Management needs to learn Our job.

How can you manage me if your never on the floor?

Need to provide safety Equipment.

Do not pick and choose what rules to flow and which ones and be broke only when it befits you.

Talk and listen to your employees, without us there will be no YOU!!!!!

Just listen to your workers, hear what we have to say....

Great Reviews in the last 7 years outstanding reviews and only a 2% raise.
    I deserve better. The competitor pays 3 to 5 dollars starting out more an hour.

ADVICE HEAR WHAT YOUR EMPLOYEES HAVE TO SAY, THIS IS NOT A LAW FIRM OR LAW SCHOOL....YOU CAN NOT DO THIS ALONE.....

ONE DAY IT WILL BITE YOU IN THE BUTT....

What a terrible place this turned out to be.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Levittown, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Levittown, PA

I worked at Airgas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Uncapped commissions, lots of contests. It used to be amazing but not anymore.

Cons

Hmm. Where to start, management is a bunch of belittling gossipers. Most of which don't even know how to turn their computers on or have really unprofessional things like a bedazzled mouse. They don't care, just know that they do not care and they are all completely fake. The work environment is hostile, too many women in one building just means so much drama. One sales person in particular is just a fat lazy stick in the mud who will befriend you and then try to make everyone hate you and management and HR do nothing to stop it. HR both in the branch and at the corporate level are completely useless and clueless, don't expect the open door policy to ever apply with anyone there. No intermingling of other departments and way too micro managed. Management does not need to know every single customers business plans and projections for the following year.

Just quit and let them hire people who can and will do the job professionally. Maybe have your employees anonymously review your management each year so you can find your flaws.

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Finance  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Finance in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Airgas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay, benefits, job stability, opportunity to learn the industry, room to move around

Cons

can be unorganized at times, inter-departmental struggles

I would like to see more resources available for personal development. Online training is nice, but actual human interaction would be better. For a company of this size, I think it would be appropriate for HR to offer quarterly seminars focused on personal career development.

Customers are important to them.

Former Employee - Process Cylinder  in  Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Process Cylinder in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Airgas full-time for less than a year

Pros

Enjoyed the employees. Employees will help trained very nice. Listen and pay attention. Employees are pro customer service. Very proud of work.

Cons

Behind on orders. Long hours and a lot of standing, but if and when you get use to it its a good place to work. Team lead more training on supervision. The team lead over reacts over minor things. Could make new comers feel inferior.

These employees need more money. Airgas employees are very dedicated, good people.

Worked for Airgas? Contribute to the Community!