Airware

www.airware.com

Airware Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Jonathan Downey

Fun place to work and learn

Lead UI Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsOur technology stack is very broad, covering hardware and embedded software to web technology. You get to learn about a large spectrum of software and developing for mission critical applications. The company is also still relatively flat and everyone has the chance to make their mark.

We also have a great culture and there are bound to be people to hang out with outside of work if you're interested.

ConsThis isn't the best place for people who don't take initiative and find something to own. Being relatively flat means we don't have enough structured management in place to make sure everyone has growth. We're also really busy so you have to manage your time well if you want to learn outside your niche.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much we can do right now I think. I look forward to a time when we'll be able to explore or prototype new ideas, but right now there are too many other critical priorities to make room for that.

Great Internship

Firmware (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFrom day one was giving real tasks to work on. Great mentorship from various employees in the company. I felt treated with as much respect as a full time employee. Awesome culture, everyone is extremely friendly and welcoming. Food catered in for most meals is a huge plus, as is the kitchen full of snacks and drinks.

ConsI often ended up with assignments from multiple sources, meaning it was difficult to keep track of everything I was expected to do and could make it difficult to see how I was contributing to the big picture.

Exciting company

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat company - the product is exciting, the people are capable, and the environment is fun and rewarding. Mentors are great in finding interesting and important tasks, and I've learned a lot in just a couple of weeks. Quality of life is great; nice, open office with lunches and dinners provided most of the week, and most people eat together. Moreover, company objectives are clearly laid out to employees and everyone carries their weight. All in all, very exciting time to be at Airware!

ConsIt's a startup, so being prepared to be flexible in projects and time is important.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting product, Challenging problems, and awesome people

Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsDefinitely one of the best job I've had yet. The company has a clear and ambitious vision that is shared across the company. Everyone here believes the potential of the work we are doing. The leadership is top-notch and has done an amazing job building the support of some of the top tech inventors.

However the best thing about the company is the people. Not only are they ridiculously smart and great to work with, but they are also fun and often spend time together outside a work context. The company regularly organizes outings and events together.

ConsNot necessarily a con - but this is a fast paced company with ambitious goals which means everyone here works hard. Work hard, play hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing a great job maintaining an open forum with the employees!

Exciting time at a very cool company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing team--some of the most brilliant minds in robotics and aviation, and they are fun too. I spend a lot of my weekends and evenings socializing with my coworkers by choice. The Airware team frequents Thursday night karaoke in a nearby bar and our CTO is a Big Buck Hunter pro.
    Our product is insanely exciting--flying robots. Seriously. And we have an incredibly supportive group of investors who want to make sure that we succeed.

ConsIt's a startup, so depending on what is going on in the office, you sometimes have to work some serious hours. I feel that this is mitigated by the awesome team that I work with, but not everyone might feel that way.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnjoy the ride! :)

Incredible growth potential, a great team, and a financially stable start up

Head of Talent (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe Product, it's cutting edge and in an emerging industry. The team, A diverse collection of the smartest people in any room and a ''no ego'' environment. Flat org with strong leadership and vision from the CEO down. There is a strong 'all for one' mentality, and excellent company transparency that keeps the staff motivated. The transparency part is truly amazing, it gives everyone an exact idea of what we are working towards as a whole.
    This an early stage start up that is going to happen. If you're awesome at what you do an there's an opening, I strongly recommend applying.

ConsWhile Airware does not have a clock watcher environment, it has an Intense start up pace. Be prepared for long hours and expect to produce results. You'll have to be nimble as well, you may have to scrap all your work in order to start in a new direction and ramp it up twice as fast, but that's what keeps it exciting. Lots of meetings. Do not apply If you are not used to working in smaller groups and having a high level of ownership in you work. Anticipate growing pains. You need to be an expert coming on board.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to encourage your team to communicate their ideas and objections openly. Less meetings.

I got to actually contribute to the product and solve hard problems as an intern.

Software Engineering Intern (GCS) (Former Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsBecause it's a startup and growing fast, there's always real work to be done and not just silly side projects to keep you busy, like larger companies might give their interns. The projects you do are hands-on, which is great because that's how you really learn. My knowledge of software architectures definitely jumped that summer, as I was tasked to design and implement several features of the Ground Control Station. Also, the product you're working on is just too cool - where else are you going to get to work with commercial drones?

I had a great time at Airware, and really hope I get to come back in the future.

ConsI was the only female engineer when I was working there. Which was not at all a problem, it was just a little hard to connect to the 'bros' when they're talking about cars.

After working an internship at Airware, in flight testing and systems integration, I would be happy to return full time.

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsAirware is a small company. As a result, you get to know your coworkers well, and you will be given responsibility immediately. The work was enjoyable for me, as I am fascinated by unmanned aircraft and the associated technology. In fact, I could see myself doing much of this work during my free time, just for the fun of it. As a part of the job, I was sent to the AUVSI's Unmanned Systems Conference, the premier trade show for the UAS industry.
    The coworkers were highly motivated and intelligent. It was apparent from the start that they were interested in what they were doing and that they had a lot of passion for the work. At the same time, they were a friendly group. I would frequently meet with several coworkers outside of work to go hiking or visit the beach. Most days of the week we would all eat lunch together.

ConsThey expect a dedication to your work and your deadlines which may require more than a 40-hour work week. While I found the sense of influence and responsibility to be rewarding, this may be a negative thing for some people.

A great startup, getting greater

Engineer (Current Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsThe fast pace is very stimulating, and being able to iterate quickly is refreshing in contrast to typical "big aerospace" companies. Co-workers are almost without exception very bright, capable, dedicated, and friendly. High likelihood of a successful exit, in time.

ConsAt times, a frat-house/"brogramming" atmosphere exists, but this is diminishing. Some cliques, not unusual for the number of employees. Long hours (not atypical of a startup). Compensation a little on the low side.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership has at times shown its inexperience but I have observed steady improvement in how the organization is being run over the last several months, keep it up. Also as the team grows and diversifies, continue to adapt and be increasingly inclusive.

Exciting place to work, great co-workers

Software Developer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsInnovative start-up culture
    Top-notch co-workers: Solid engineering team, and a great collaborative environment.
    Working on new and potentially transformative products

ConsRapid growth is disruptive at times.

Worked for Airware? Contribute to the Community!