Akamai

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Akamai CEO Tom Leighton

Tom Leighton

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

interview

Embedded Systems Intern (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

Prosnice colleagues, nice environment.
    my manager is not too pushy. my work is building up embedded system to monitor the datacenter.

Consfew talks between others.
    hardware group is too small, and the company is for software.
    so most time our group is working on how to solve others problem,we have no our own harware products

Advice to Senior Managementtalk more and give suggestions more to each other

Company's Immigration Policy is only in place not in effect

QA Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsThe company has a immigration policy in place that could really attract a international talent to join the work force.( It is not in effect though. When its time to begin it only has excuses after excuses)
    They pay for premium processing for your H1B visa transfer of employee to happily join the company.
    The policy is not in alignment with the HR department that makes it difficult for the existing employees to get their employment based permanent visa filled on time.
    They also pay in full for the employee's immigration needs but unfortunately only once which is not sufficient for most of the cases.

ConsThere are lots of excuses from the HR department. Few horrible examples include
    "We do not have sufficient employee to cover all the open cases for the permanent labor application."
    "We said 6 months but it is going to take another year" (specially after you have joined the company!)
    "We hired too many people so cannot file your application. You have some more time."

Honestly if you are a employee on H1 B visa. The application will begin only in your 4th year of H1B anniversary. That is the time when the company will think you are short of the time to work. So if you are looking for a employer to not put you in this dilemma find a different place to hang your hat.

The company spends only one time on your permanent labor application process(frugal attitude)
    It may take a long time for a few to become senior in the company and unfortunately you can not file the desired application process till you become senior. (They will not tell you this when you join them)

The employees working with the HR department who work on the immigration cases of the international employees behave extremely arrogant and disrespectful. Not helpful and egoist people. They gave me a feeling as if the person was not happy towards a few particular origin nationality or may be the person does not like the job. Very much a realistic concern to have! specially if the person does know who the real customers are to their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look into this matter to retain the internationals that wish to make Akamai as their work place for long term.
    Rough behavior with the existing employee while going through the sensitive process of green card application can reduce the moral of the employee to work with company for long run.
    Cutting cost on immigration needs of the talent working with you can lead to a long term unstable marriage between international employee and Akamai. Like many other unfortunate companies Akamai can also loose the reputation to attract talent of international origin to make Akamai a work place for them.
    Please relive the concern since Akamai in last 2 years have hired a lot of international employees in USA. The above concern gives a feeling as if someone is driving slavery in the company silently.

Great company and culture but poor communication and direction from many senior leaders

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsPay, benefits, work/life balance, and great culture with lots of potential in their space. Very innovative technology and strong academic roots still a part of the place.

ConsMany senior leaders have been there forever and seems to be a good old boy network even though they have hired many external outsiders. There is also a lack of succession planning and career management in many areas still so you hit the ceiling on learning quickly with nowhere to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing but switch up some of the long timers in the management team to shake the place up a bit.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting challenges, but not all its cracked up to be

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsInteresting areas to work like CDN, Cloud, Security.

ConsNot a big fan of their corporate policy which they invoke at will if they want to get rid of you. Lawyer will shove you out the door, and not let you explain anything. Also the ability to move up is limited, ability to work on private projects is a rare commodity. Their corporate spirit is contrived, pretending to have a start up mentality. Acquisition of companies are sometimes not wise.

Great place to work with super technology and amazing people

Senior Director (Current Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits
    excellent co-workers
    leading edge technology

ConsThe bar is set very high

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Smart people

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsSmart people, good strategy, hard driving.

ConsWork life balance is off

Good work at a strong company

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsInteresting technical work at a healthy relevant company in the middle of the Internet. Management seems to be pointed in the right direction. Flexible work hours, time off and telecommute.

ConsLots of legacy code, challenging to learn as documentation is often poor. Change comes slow relative to a smaller company, as there is a fear something will break

Advice to Senior Managementbite the bullet and let some of these old systems go.

Simply a fantastic place to work.

Cambridge, MA

Pros--Fantastic benefits package.
    --Room for career development and advancement.
    --Very casual atmosphere for a $1B+ company.
    --Employees are treated fairly and honestly.

Akamai promoted the position I applied for before they even sent me a job offer, based on my experience and education. In less than a year, I've received two salary increases and a bonus far larger than my contract stated, all because they are very happy with the work I'm doing. If you work hard and excel at your tasks, Akamai isn't shy to show you that they appreciate it!

Cons--Literally no cons about this job thus far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being awesome.

UGH

NIE (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsIf you do not care about your job and are really good at keeping quiet, this is a great place to melt the years away.

ConsToo many to list, HR issues at every turn. Mid-level managers are of no help to you. Do not ever say a single word about anything or you'll certainly be sorry.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs a major overhaul.

More Like a Confederation of Many Smaller Companies Than a $1 Billion+ Internet Giant

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

ProsThe company is loaded with smart people. It's challenging and exciting to work in an environment where the *internship* candidates are working on their second Ph.D.'s!

Working at Akamai sometimes feels like working "backstage at The Internet," as we watch terabytes of data fly around the world. (Marketing claims that we "deliver 30% of the content on the Internet" are conveniently impossible to verify or refute.)

My view of the company is shaped by the group I work with - largely a set of dedicated, knowledgeable people with deep domain expertise and a willingness to share whatever they can in terms of time, knowledge, and tips. I work in the Cambridge office.

ConsThe company is saturated with antiquated, overlapping and competing systems (how many bug tracking / project management systems do we have? I lost count at five!).

Efforts are duplicated across the company.

This year, in announcing our *first* ever recognition of International Women's Day, our founder and CEO said "There's an International Women's Day! Who knew?!" That tells you everything you need to know about the company's dismal track record when it comes to addressing gender imbalances at the engineering, management, and director levels.

I've met maybe four female software engineers in my 7+ years at Akamai (but it's OK, 2/3 of the accounting and human resources staff are women - just not the department heads). I've encountered one black male software engineer - I hear there may be a few more out there. (But nearly every security guard and mailroom employee and maintenance worker is a person of color, so it's cool, right?). FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are nonwhite - four men, all of them of South Asian descent. FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are women, all of them white.

Beyond the complete lack of diversity among the employees, the company seems to be innovating chiefly through marketing rather than investing in real research and development. Some teams do devote resources to thinking ahead, but this is not a coordinated, company-wide effort. Attempts at major process improvements are inevitably stymied by stubborn and/or backward-looking managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your employees. Invest more in research. Blow up the customer portal and start from scratch. Start developing *real* replacements for mission-critical legacy systems which I was told were considered obsolete when I was hired more than seven years ago! Stop hiring senior managers and executives from fading, aging tech companies like Cisco. See if you can find a few talented women and a few people of color to fill senior management, engineering, and sales roles.

Worked for Akamai? Contribute to the Community!

Akamai – Why Work for Us?

At Akamai, "Faster Forward" is how we approach everything we do, every challenge we undertake, each problem we tackle. Most of all, it's how we approach our careers, and our culture. Founded in the lecture halls and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Akamai reviews and ratings in Cambridge, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Akamai CEO Tom Leighton. All 60 reviews posted anonymously by Akamai employees.