Akamai

Akamai Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Akamai CEO Tom Leighton

Tom Leighton

Pros
  • Work life balance,Best salary as compared to other companies,lots of perks,(in 19 reviews)

• Extremely smart people, engineers, product marketing and executive leadership(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is impossible(in 13 reviews)

• An extreme lack of communication between groups, employees and management(in 4 reviews)

UGH

NIE (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsIf you do not care about your job and are really good at keeping quiet, this is a great place to melt the years away.

ConsToo many to list, HR issues at every turn. Mid-level managers are of no help to you. Do not ever say a single word about anything or you'll certainly be sorry.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs a major overhaul.

More Like a Confederation of Many Smaller Companies Than a $1 Billion+ Internet Giant

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe company is loaded with smart people. It's challenging and exciting to work in an environment where the *internship* candidates are working on their second Ph.D.'s!

Working at Akamai sometimes feels like working "backstage at The Internet," as we watch terabytes of data fly around the world. (Marketing claims that we "deliver 30% of the content on the Internet" are conveniently impossible to verify or refute.)

My view of the company is shaped by the group I work with - largely a set of dedicated, knowledgeable people with deep domain expertise and a willingness to share whatever they can in terms of time, knowledge, and tips. I work in the Cambridge office.

ConsThe company is saturated with antiquated, overlapping and competing systems (how many bug tracking / project management systems do we have? I lost count at five!).

Efforts are duplicated across the company.

This year, in announcing our *first* ever recognition of International Women's Day, our founder and CEO said "There's an International Women's Day! Who knew?!" That tells you everything you need to know about the company's dismal track record when it comes to addressing gender imbalances at the engineering, management, and director levels.

I've met maybe four female software engineers in my 7+ years at Akamai (but it's OK, 2/3 of the accounting and human resources staff are women - just not the department heads). I've encountered one black male software engineer - I hear there may be a few more out there. (But nearly every security guard and mailroom employee and maintenance worker is a person of color, so it's cool, right?). FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are nonwhite - four men, all of them of South Asian descent. FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are women, all of them white.

Beyond the complete lack of diversity among the employees, the company seems to be innovating chiefly through marketing rather than investing in real research and development. Some teams do devote resources to thinking ahead, but this is not a coordinated, company-wide effort. Attempts at major process improvements are inevitably stymied by stubborn and/or backward-looking managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in your employees. Invest more in research. Blow up the customer portal and start from scratch. Start developing *real* replacements for mission-critical legacy systems which I was told were considered obsolete when I was hired more than seven years ago! Stop hiring senior managers and executives from fading, aging tech companies like Cisco. See if you can find a few talented women and a few people of color to fill senior management, engineering, and sales roles.

Smart people

Product Manager (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsSmart people, good strategy, hard driving.

ConsWork life balance is off

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overwhelming learning experience

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsVery open culture, good training facilities, time-off policies and perks.

ConsNo complaints, the recruitment process is long, but it's worth it.

Good work at a strong company

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsInteresting technical work at a healthy relevant company in the middle of the Internet. Management seems to be pointed in the right direction. Flexible work hours, time off and telecommute.

ConsLots of legacy code, challenging to learn as documentation is often poor. Change comes slow relative to a smaller company, as there is a fear something will break

Advice to Senior Managementbite the bullet and let some of these old systems go.

Simply a fantastic place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Pros--Fantastic benefits package.
    --Room for career development and advancement.
    --Very casual atmosphere for a $1B+ company.
    --Employees are treated fairly and honestly.

Akamai promoted the position I applied for before they even sent me a job offer, based on my experience and education. In less than a year, I've received two salary increases and a bonus far larger than my contract stated, all because they are very happy with the work I'm doing. If you work hard and excel at your tasks, Akamai isn't shy to show you that they appreciate it!

Cons--Literally no cons about this job thus far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being awesome.

Fantastic place to work and grow

ProsAkamai is a great place to work filled with extremely smart and dedicated employees. There is good career opportunities in most roles.

ConsAkamai had to invent all of the tools required to build a distributed cloud infrastructure, but it hasn't attempted to move to modern open-source alternatives. As a result it can be difficult for new employees to get up to speed.

Great company!

ProsWell respected company, amazing technologies, great company culture that is full of incredibly smart people!

ConsProduct packaging to internal resources who work on the field is lacking. Product packaging for customers is also lacking.

Doesn't care about employees

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsGood location, nice benefits, good pay.

ConsManagement doesn't care and doesn't listen. There is verbal abuse that happens, but no one is willing to speak out because of a culture of fear that has crept in. I left because as a software engineer from MIT I had big ideas and wanted to go somewhere I thought I could make a big impact. Akamai turned out to not be much like they said it would when the aggressively recruited me.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and try again.

Technical Project Manager

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat, fast paced environment - front seat to all the security goings-on in the world. Great people to work with. Good compensation.

ConsTechnology training can be a challenge despite the best efforts of the company - prepare to begin from 0 if Content Delivery Network is not your primary expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate very targeted resources for training. Create test beds/network just for training.

Worked for Akamai? Contribute to the Community!