Akamai

Akamai Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Akamai CEO Tom Leighton

Tom Leighton

Pros:
  • "Direct managers are experienced and understanding people who get the need for proper work / life balance"
    in 16 reviews
  • "workplace with smart people which keeps a healthy competition"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance is impossible"
    in 13 reviews
  • "An extreme lack of communication between groups, employees and management"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work when settled

Tools Developer (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat work-life balance, intelligent co-workers. great office location

ConsAverage culture, Needs more company-wide events, Average Perks

UX Design Intern

User Experience Design (Current Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Akamai as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Many companies give interns easier projects but Akamai had me work on pretty significant projects.
- Free breakfast and lunch once a week

Cons- they don't pay for lunch hours if you're getting paid hourly
- The San Mateo office didn't have a cafeteria or a place nearby to buy food, but they are moving
- Desks were set up as cubicles. Made the office space extremely quiet.

Current co-op student at Akamai Technologies, GREAT EXPERIENCE

Associate Solutions Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Akamai as an intern for less than a year

ProsAkamai really pays attention to all the new hires. An extensive and detailed training program will be applied to every employees. I learned a whole lot technical knowledge as well as presentation skills from this training. Everybody in the office is super fun and friendly - I get to know them on personal levels. They pay intern/coops very well too!

ConsI know have any con's to point out. Cannot complain :)

Angst driven

Program Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Akamai full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice benefits and location. some great people to work with..while most seem to have no problem stabbing people in the back or throwing people under the bus.

Gaslighting is a true art form within Akamai saw this happen to several people before it happen to me.

ConsTerrible work/life balance, only way to keep up is to take computer home and work evening and weekends including vacations.

lack of true opportunities unless part of the good ol boy's club....women not welcome.

Advice to Senior Managementwhy..they dont care and haven't from the start.

After a decade, I still love this company

San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLots of smart people to work with and the job is very interesting.
You get a chance to change the world everyday by helping Akamai's customers with new project (almost every cool Internet service out there uses them like top social sites, all big news sites, media sites, etc).
Lots of internal chances to grow (if you are good).
Good health benefits, lots of funded culture clubs to choose from (like fishing, surfing, scuba diving, chess, coffee, biking, beer, etc.), free drinks and food (varies from office to office).
Over the years I got approached by most of Akamai's competitors and interviewed with some of them to see which benefits and salary they offer, and I am happy to say that none of them pays as well or offers comparable benefits.

ConsHard to think of cons... Well the Akamai provided coffee in San Mateo sucks (some people have brought their own espresso machines though). Other Akamai offices I visited have cool espresso machines, so I guess this is just in San Mateo.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating and ensure good people are happy as there is a lot of opportunities out there right now

Akamai will stay in business for long

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than a year

Pros- great technologies to work with
- workplace with smart people which keeps a healthy competition

Cons- work life balance is not that great

It's nice

I have been working at Akamai

Prosgood place to work. Engineering is full of great talent and great people.

ConsReally not much here. ParaTechnical roles such as product architects may slow things down and do make bad decisions often.

A stressful experience

Operations Team (Former Employee)
Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time for more than a year

ProsThe main pro is that the company pays well and you are likely to work with very intelligent people. You will learn new skills while you're there.

ConsThe company is having growing pains. Most of the people there are the ones that held on through the dotcom burst. While that makes them very engaged in the success of the company it also make it very clicky... and tough to be a new person. For at tech company they're surprisingly uptight and have a generally tough culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax a bit

Excellent prospects for the future; flexible work-life balance

Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA company of innovation and pioneering. Stability. As long as the internet exists, so too will the need for Akamai's services. Excellent work-life benefits, unlimited vacation policy, ability to work from home. Having a technologist and the co-founder as the new CEO shows how important it is to have someone at the top who really understands the company.

ConsAs other reviews have pointed out, it's true that this is a political organization the further to the top you get. I actually don't think Tom Leighton is part of it, but certainly beneath him there's lots of politics going on. It takes a long time for change to happen. In certain departments the stress levels are brutal. In the Cambridge location, there's really not much "culture" i.e. colleagues getting together after work, drinks on Fridays, etc. That doesn't really happen on the East Coast the way it does at the West Coast offices. Wish that would become something that happened more often here with the support of upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to what people want, and help foster a culture of connectedness.

Mixed thoughts on company culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time

ProsThe company seems to have a good footprint in the content/web acceleration space. they value everyone's opinion.

ConsVery political for the size of company, takes a longtime to get consensus to move the needle.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the very bottom layers of the organization and start the change.

Worked for Akamai? Contribute to the Community!

Akamai – Why Work for Us?

At Akamai, "Faster Forward" is how we approach everything we do, every challenge we undertake, each problem we tackle. Most of all, it's how we approach our careers, and our culture. Founded in the lecture halls and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Akamai reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Akamai CEO Tom Leighton. All 233 reviews posted anonymously by Akamai employees.