Akamai Reviews

Reset
3.9
Akamai CEO Tom Leighton
Tom Leighton

Pros
  • The work life balance is great and the culture is very welcoming (in 23 reviews)

• The best part you get to work with smart people every day (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is impossible (in 15 reviews)

• No clear career progression paths - difficult to move ahead (in 6 reviews)

1. Great Job No Advancement

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer In Test

Pros

Excellent work environment, job security, benefits, salary and work life balance. Great place if you have a young family and need to spend a lot of time at home. Akamai also lets you transfer to any of their international offices once you've proven yourself.

Cons

Extremely limited opportunities for advancement. No room for great ideas, mavericks or chronic innovators. Also not a very good place for young people, which is very unfortunate. Really only choose Akamai if you have a young family and don't need your job to provide you with friends and fun.

Advice to Management

Actually I like Akamai the way it is. It is safe, reliable, has a steady stock price, and makes me feel stable. I enjoy the graduate-school, research-lab like work environment and management treats the rank-and-file with respect. However, if you want to attract those young superstars then make a dev-office in downtown San Francisco. The San Francisco Akamai office is super fun, but is only for business types. You would have new grads from Stanford beating down your door if you dangled a downtown San Francisco coding job in front of them.

2. great work culture

Former Employee - Systems Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Systems Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai (Less than a year)

Pros

the work culture is great.

Cons

nothing specific. Maybe they should start offering free lunches. [just saying]

3. Good solid company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Akamai (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong benefits and company structure

Cons

Bureaucratic and hard to navigate the organization

5. Terrific technology company

Former Employee - Sales Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well differentiated technology in the marketplace, highly intelligent management team, well-polished sales and marketing team, strong leadership, high-performing stock

Cons

Not every job offers the potential for success. Some sales territories have little prospect for success, though many do represent a great opportunity. Rapid growth and acquisitions leads to some turnover in mid-management.

Advice to Management

Work/Life Balance is poor and needs to be addressed.

Awesome company!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company overall! The CEO truly cares about making the company great and makes himself very visible and has very good demeanor. Benefits are outstanding. People who have worked there long try to make it great as well. You will quickly find that everyone knows what they're talking about from the SVP to the director and most managers. Those people have been around and were engineers themselves. We're definitely at the forefront of the internet and try to make it fast and secure.

Cons

Politics is quickly rearing its ugly head as they hire managers who come from outside. They are usually unproven and insecure about their roles and try to dictate things they don't quite know well. I have seen a couple great engineers leave because they don't get along with them and I think I might be in this situation soon. If you do your job too well, they may start to think you're trying to outshine them so the best thing to do is leave. Fortunately, I think movement between departments might be an option.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a great work. Please promote from within Akamai instead of hiring managers from outside.

Mixed Results

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Akamai (More than a year)

Pros

Company is at the center of the internet. Some groups enjoy start-of-the-art software practices and teamwork.

Cons

Some groups are stuck two decades back in time. They'd rather get rid of complainers than address problems. No intergroup mobility.

Advice to Management

Line managers need basic training in communications and leadership.

Almost a year here, and not at all disappointed!

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the best place I've ever worked, bar none. People are dauntingly smart, friendly, and helpful, the work is challenging but interesting, the benefits are very good, and the pace - while certainly subject to the occasional flurry of long hours - is remarkably life- and family-friendly. I'm sure that some of this has to do with the ability to work remotely as needed, and I imagine all of this is variable by the team, but I've met mostly really happy and satisfied people here. While there are politics and tsuris everywhere, I've seen far less of what feels like some of the ugly back-stabbing and political maneuvering here than at many places I've worked. Senior management seems as open and communicative as anywhere I've ever been, and Tom Leighton is a wonderful face and voice of leadership for the organization (with some pretty stylin' dance moves, too). Most importantly - and I can only say this about my own team and manager, but I gather that it is true in many parts of the company - I feel supported in all of my efforts; that my manager is interested not only in getting the best work out of her team, but that we are happy, satisfied in our work, not overburdened, and with a clear direction in which to head to keep our careers moving forward.

Cons

This is a very complex and highly technical space to be in, and if you come in with no domain knowledge, there will be some serious ramp up and learning you need to do. Fortunately, the company is great about training and giving you the room and resources to bring yourself up to speed. One challenge is that, while there are many, many resources for improving your understanding of the space and the Akamai ecosystem, FINDING those resources can be tricky, and sometimes what you find is out of date. Getting accurate information from the right people can sometimes be a challenge. Also, while the company is very committed to UX, getting access to actual customers on a UX basis is not something ingrained in the fabric here yet, and it can be tricky. There is also not yet a good communication structure between UX teams, so there is a lot of overlap, unanswered questions, and asking forgiveness rather than permission. Finally, if you start after a certain point in the year, you end up being not eligible for a bonus when the time rolls around (I started a week after that cutoff, it turned out). It would be far better if they prorated the bonus structure for the part of the year in which you were with the company, rather than just cut you loose. It would at least have been nice to have been told this during recruitment to set my expectations properly, since bonuses were touted as a pretty big part of the benefit structure.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, my friends... you're doing good work and motivating us to do good work! Maybe fix that bonus thing I mentioned in the cons.

9. HR

I have been working at Akamai full-time

Pros

Great Company to work for!

Cons

Nothing to mention at this time

Great benifits

Current Employee - Senior Security Operations Center Engineer in Tamarac, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Security Operations Center Engineer in Tamarac, FL

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Benefits are awesome! The Health Benefits and amount of Vacation time are great.

Cons

Pay is below standard and the culture is one of those drink the kolaid and worship the company or Punished for your Blasphemy

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees that actually work with the product and have the skills not some out side consultants with a degree who has never worked a day in the field. Also when your your employees start quitting cause they are over worked and under paid. try filling their positions and opening up more. Not closing them out and offering over time.

11. System Software Engineer Co-op

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some of the smartest people in the Industry. Type and quality of work is really good. Flexible hours. Great compensation.

Cons

Very few team activities such as lunches or team outings.

RSS Feed </> Embed