Akamai

Akamai Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Akamai CEO Tom Leighton

Tom Leighton

Pros
  • Work life balance,Best salary as compared to other companies,lots of perks,(in 19 reviews)

• Extremely smart people, engineers, product marketing and executive leadership(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is impossible(in 13 reviews)

• An extreme lack of communication between groups, employees and management(in 4 reviews)

Awesome!

ProsOpen culture, Innovation, Continuously challenging, leadership focus, at par market in terms of compensation

ConsMathematical, Need to widen the scope, could do more in terms of compensation,

Low Compensation - Hard to move up

Network Engineer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSetting own schedule. Working from home

ConsHard to move up. No incentive. Management doesn't know what the hell is going on most of the time. Low pay.

interview

Embedded Systems Intern (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

Prosnice colleagues, nice environment.
    my manager is not too pushy. my work is building up embedded system to monitor the datacenter.

Consfew talks between others.
    hardware group is too small, and the company is for software.
    so most time our group is working on how to solve others problem,we have no our own harware products

Advice to Senior Managementtalk more and give suggestions more to each other

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too cool company to work , Good Place to settle

Senior QA Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1.Cool Culture
    2.Good Compensation
    3 Shares and Stock Options
    4 Work from Home
    5.Excellent management
    6 Free Dinner and Snacks

ConsNo Con's I have across In one year time .

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep Growing and try to maintain the existing culture in company .

Company's Immigration Policy is only in place not in effect

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe company has a immigration policy in place that could really attract a international talent to join the work force.( It is not in effect though. When its time to begin it only has excuses after excuses)
    They pay for premium processing for your H1B visa transfer of employee to happily join the company.
    The policy is not in alignment with the HR department that makes it difficult for the existing employees to get their employment based permanent visa filled on time.
    They also pay in full for the employee's immigration needs but unfortunately only once which is not sufficient for most of the cases.

ConsThere are lots of excuses from the HR department. Few horrible examples include
    "We do not have sufficient employee to cover all the open cases for the permanent labor application."
    "We said 6 months but it is going to take another year" (specially after you have joined the company!)
    "We hired too many people so cannot file your application. You have some more time."

Honestly if you are a employee on H1 B visa. The application will begin only in your 4th year of H1B anniversary. That is the time when the company will think you are short of the time to work. So if you are looking for a employer to not put you in this dilemma find a different place to hang your hat.

The company spends only one time on your permanent labor application process(frugal attitude)
    It may take a long time for a few to become senior in the company and unfortunately you can not file the desired application process till you become senior. (They will not tell you this when you join them)

The employees working with the HR department who work on the immigration cases of the international employees behave extremely arrogant and disrespectful. Not helpful and egoist people. They gave me a feeling as if the person was not happy towards a few particular origin nationality or may be the person does not like the job. Very much a realistic concern to have! specially if the person does know who the real customers are to their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look into this matter to retain the internationals that wish to make Akamai as their work place for long term.
    Rough behavior with the existing employee while going through the sensitive process of green card application can reduce the moral of the employee to work with company for long run.
    Cutting cost on immigration needs of the talent working with you can lead to a long term unstable marriage between international employee and Akamai. Like many other unfortunate companies Akamai can also loose the reputation to attract talent of international origin to make Akamai a work place for them.
    Please relive the concern since Akamai in last 2 years have hired a lot of international employees in USA. The above concern gives a feeling as if someone is driving slavery in the company silently.

Great company and product, poor management

Major Account Executive (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExtremely smart people, engineers, product marketing and executive leadership. Akamai continues to evolve and offer valuable solutions for their customers, most notably their security offerings.

ConsManagement (upper and middle) has a disconnected communication model and middle management simply reacts to upper management. This creates an on-going frenzy from management as opposed to leadership and bigger picture thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't simply react to demands from upper management. Work with your team(s) to create realistic goals and understand business patterns.

You can't ask for more.

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsAbove the average benefit. Unlimited PTO as long as your manager approves. Great work-life balance. Great company outlook. Smart people to work with.

ConsCollaboration between different teams is sometimes difficult. Not the best perks for continuing education (~$5000 per year). Company does not get much mass reputation because it's been very low-key in this industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your good work. Tom Leighton as the CEO has been really awesome.

“Awesome Company”

ProsAmazing work culture
    Fair performance Management System
    Encourages career & personal development

Consnothing that I can think of

Great company and culture but poor communication and direction from many senior leaders

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsPay, benefits, work/life balance, and great culture with lots of potential in their space. Very innovative technology and strong academic roots still a part of the place.

ConsMany senior leaders have been there forever and seems to be a good old boy network even though they have hired many external outsiders. There is also a lack of succession planning and career management in many areas still so you hit the ceiling on learning quickly with nowhere to go.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing but switch up some of the long timers in the management team to shake the place up a bit.

Awesome Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing work culture
    Fair performance Management System
    Encourages career & personal development

Consnothing that I can think of

Worked for Akamai? Contribute to the Community!