Akamai

Updated December 12, 2014
4.0

Akamai CEO Tom Leighton
Tom Leighton

Pros
  • Awesome work-life balance, and the people here are wonderful - nice people with families (in 23 reviews)

• Academic environment full of smart people with a lot to offer (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very difficult to achieve and/or maintain - 55 (in 15 reviews)

• An extreme lack of communication between groups, employees and management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Shoot from the hip, cowboy town

Former Employee - Confidential in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Confidential in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to lead up into politics & run for office. To succeed, one would have to manipulate & maneuver across & over each other's body in the team or over cross functions.

Similar to being successful in a political office, one has to integrate & follow blindly/obediently into the special boys&girls club, anyone who speaks up or acts contrary to the norm will not be tolerated & will be eradicated & exterminated.

Great opportunity to mess up your professional career, contacts & personal life. Stay away from this organization by all means necessary!

Cons

If your life has no purpose then sell your souls to this organization as they sure will run you into the ground/central atrosphere with not even a faint whiff of gratitude/genuine appreciation of the time & energy one spends away from family & loved ones. Ultimately this is a internet company & it's workers are treated like machines/computers & are expected to move along the production line quietly with not even hint of objection.

One more thing, when they are done with you even if you have not reached your full potential they'll kick you out even if you are the General Manager or non executive.

Yesman company. Many future ministers & office takers will come forth from this organization around the world.

Wants to hire the Best, Rock Stars, Talents, Movers & Shakers but with the organization style managing the atmosphere, environment, culture, practice the way things are done in cowboy town, these key individuals will be on the move very soon be it willing or against one's will.

Lesser informed geniuses come in to be stamp formed into a preset mould, how then can true talent flourish & creativity blossom into a spring of ever living water

Akamai used to be a great place to work but not anymore!

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Big company benefits - good health care, Discounted Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), 401k. Good place to gain broad technology skills (CDN, internet, security, performance, FEO)

Cons

Extremely political culture, too many layers of management, poor career advancement opportunities, everyone overworked, no vacation policy (elective)

Eliminate silos and encourage more cross-pollination across theaters, remove layers of bureaucracy, empower your employees to take risks and do what's right, empower middle management to actually be able to impact change for the troops, restore a culture where it's ok to have different opinions and encourage healthy debate

Not bad

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Akamai (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, good food, excellent cab services. A little away from startup it had been a few years ago. Good work environment

Cons

No challenging work. Politics within teams and inter-team politics too. Bad rating system. Over-hiring over the past few years. Once-great nterview process has been slacking.

Not all what it is built up to be

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Akamai full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexi timings, work from home, free transport, perks

Cons

Over a period of time, there has been a recurring theme of "we have hired you from big companies to take us there" but “Akamai is great because it doesn't have any "archaic” practices like big companies”. While the CDN business is growing, the company doesn't have the will to grow. Discussions on any new processes are thrown because "we have been doing this way for x number of years".

Another of the themes has been the difficult interview process. Everyone will talk about how difficult the process was and how you are the cream of the crop. Most of these people are extremely bookish knowledge about how to go about implementing technology. Most of the discussions will be without real life experience. As another reviewer put it if they find you to be good, they will move into rooms to avoid discussing things in front of you.

The last theme has been of people more interested in pushing their agendas. This can range from:
    a. pushing their own product - Couple of products funded at the VC stage by VP and CIO are being implemented, even though they are not the best tools available.
    b. people more interested in showing themselves off - VPs and onsite counterparts will constantly snub you for giving advice on the very things you were hired for.

Please make up your mind where you want to be, either a company with established processes or a company with no fixed processed. Put a stop to people pushing their own products to Akamai at a cost.

Top down culture run by bureaucrats,well supported by HR.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai

Pros

Good viable business.
    Good developers and testers mostly. Very smart, interesting personalities.
    The CEO is likable and smart , but his blog "ask Tom" is written and signed by HR.

Cons

Culture of extreme fear, fed by many very quiet people on H1 visas..
    People run away from you as soon as they sense any trouble. Run by the incompetent old timers with the great social skills, who would turn your every word against you. The ability to do the job does not count at all. HR refuses to look at that.
    Developers discuss technical details behind the closed doors, so to avoid disappointing those sharks with too much knowledge. Groups are isolated and only communicate to each other after the manager's approval.
    Six levels of hierarchy between a developer and the CEO.

Weed out your managers. People need some air to breeze.

Couldn't be happier; I think I have found my home!

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (less than an year)

Pros

After many years of working at tiny companies, I am really appreciating the charms of the large place filled with passionate, smart people. The challenges are endless, the benefits great, the people are wonderful, and the company actually has an understanding of and increasing commitment to good user experience.

Cons

While I mostly see this as a pro, Akamai's very desire to move Faster Forward and try new things sometimes seems to create stumbling blocks.

The nature of the work and highly technical people also lead to some very quirky and occasionally antisocial folks… But mostly I have been very happy working with everyone, so these are both kind of a reach as cons.

Keep doing what you're doing… I feel very included in the interests and prosperity of the company, kept well abreast of issues that affect the whole community, and very much that Akamai is providing a supportive environment for me to do my best work with my team.

nice

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer In Test in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you will always learn new things.

Cons

should be comfortable working on night hours.

Great Place to work

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you are motivated and have clue, this is a great place to work. Academic environment full of smart people with a lot to offer. No frills atmosphere, but generous pay and overall compensation package.

Cons

The new office scheme, but that's being fixed.

Re-examine the bathroom algorithm to determine if we need to add third stalls on all floors.

The place to be!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people, Great culture and work environment and employees that collectively work towards one goal of making the internet more reliable, secure and fast.

Cons

Work days can be very long some times.

Collaborative Workplace

Current Employee - University Relations Recruiter in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - University Relations Recruiter in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I've been with the company for approx 3 months and I enjoy the collaborative working environment that I get to work within. Perhaps this is must my team within Talent Acquisition but there is a deep appreciation for being able to work like this.

Cons

Continual process improvement as the company continues to grow - this can be painful at times but overall its a good challenge.