Akamai

Updated November 18, 2014
4.0

Akamai CEO Tom Leighton
Tom Leighton

Pros
  • The work life balance is great and the culture is very welcoming (in 21 reviews)

• Extremely smart people, engineers, product marketing and executive leadership (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very difficult to achieve and/or maintain - 55 (in 15 reviews)

• An extreme lack of communication between groups, employees and management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Low Compensation - Hard to move up

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Setting own schedule. Working from home

Cons

Hard to move up. No incentive. Management doesn't know what the hell is going on most of the time. Low pay.

You can't ask for more.

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Above the average benefit. Unlimited PTO as long as your manager approves. Great work-life balance. Great company outlook. Smart people to work with.

Cons

Collaboration between different teams is sometimes difficult. Not the best perks for continuing education (~$5000 per year). Company does not get much mass reputation because it's been very low-key in this industry.

Keep your good work. Tom Leighton as the CEO has been really awesome.

Great company and culture but poor communication and direction from many senior leaders

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, work/life balance, and great culture with lots of potential in their space. Very innovative technology and strong academic roots still a part of the place.

Cons

Many senior leaders have been there forever and seems to be a good old boy network even though they have hired many external outsiders. There is also a lack of succession planning and career management in many areas still so you hit the ceiling on learning quickly with nowhere to go.

Keep doing what you are doing but switch up some of the long timers in the management team to shake the place up a bit.

Great company and product, poor management

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely smart people, engineers, product marketing and executive leadership. Akamai continues to evolve and offer valuable solutions for their customers, most notably their security offerings.

Cons

Management (upper and middle) has a disconnected communication model and middle management simply reacts to upper management. This creates an on-going frenzy from management as opposed to leadership and bigger picture thinking.

Don't simply react to demands from upper management. Work with your team(s) to create realistic goals and understand business patterns.

Good place to get experience and move on, but not to stay long term

Current Employee - Engagement Manager
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart technically saavy employees, Fast paced environment, vast amounts of technology learning opportunities (web performance, security, internet)

Cons

You are worked like a dog, talented workers are overlooked, corporate politics becoming more prevalent, good managers are hard to find, too much focus on meeting wall street numbers instead of customers needs, career growth opportunities are limited

Consider adopting a more progressive company culture rather than move to become the next IBM. Listen to your employees more often. Managers should be evaluated by not only their peers and supervisors, but their reports as well (bottom up feedback). Create a culture where employees feel safe to take chances, be creative and innovate.

Great place to work with super technology and amazing people

Current Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    excellent co-workers
    leading edge technology

Cons

The bar is set very high

Keep doing what you are doing

Interesting challenges, but not all its cracked up to be

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting areas to work like CDN, Cloud, Security.

Cons

Not a big fan of their corporate policy which they invoke at will if they want to get rid of you. Lawyer will shove you out the door, and not let you explain anything. Also the ability to move up is limited, ability to work on private projects is a rare commodity. Their corporate spirit is contrived, pretending to have a start up mentality. Acquisition of companies are sometimes not wise.

More Like a Confederation of Many Smaller Companies Than a $1 Billion+ Internet Giant

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is loaded with smart people. It's challenging and exciting to work in an environment where the *internship* candidates are working on their second Ph.D.'s!

Working at Akamai sometimes feels like working "backstage at The Internet," as we watch terabytes of data fly around the world. (Marketing claims that we "deliver 30% of the content on the Internet" are conveniently impossible to verify or refute.)

My view of the company is shaped by the group I work with - largely a set of dedicated, knowledgeable people with deep domain expertise and a willingness to share whatever they can in terms of time, knowledge, and tips. I work in the Cambridge office.

Cons

The company is saturated with antiquated, overlapping and competing systems (how many bug tracking / project management systems do we have? I lost count at five!).

Efforts are duplicated across the company.

This year, in announcing our *first* ever recognition of International Women's Day, our founder and CEO said "There's an International Women's Day! Who knew?!" That tells you everything you need to know about the company's dismal track record when it comes to addressing gender imbalances at the engineering, management, and director levels.

I've met maybe four female software engineers in my 7+ years at Akamai (but it's OK, 2/3 of the accounting and human resources staff are women - just not the department heads). I've encountered one black male software engineer - I hear there may be a few more out there. (But nearly every security guard and mailroom employee and maintenance worker is a person of color, so it's cool, right?). FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are nonwhite - four men, all of them of South Asian descent. FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are women, all of them white.

Beyond the complete lack of diversity among the employees, the company seems to be innovating chiefly through marketing rather than investing in real research and development. Some teams do devote resources to thinking ahead, but this is not a coordinated, company-wide effort. Attempts at major process improvements are inevitably stymied by stubborn and/or backward-looking managers.

Invest more in your employees. Invest more in research. Blow up the customer portal and start from scratch. Start developing *real* replacements for mission-critical legacy systems which I was told were considered obsolete when I was hired more than seven years ago! Stop hiring senior managers and executives from fading, aging tech companies like Cisco. See if you can find a few talented women and a few people of color to fill senior management, engineering, and sales roles.

A great company with some really smart people.

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Smart people, excellent compensation packages, flexible work hours and locations, competent management that know what they are doing, and how to grow the company, lots of career growth opportunity.

Cons

Product development moves slow. Product groups operate in silos, and should be forced to work together. Process to define sales quotas needs to be reviewed/fixed. Pricing and product structure needs an overhaul. Not all offices are the same (The SF office is WAY nicer than some of the others, like NYC).

Pointed in the right direction, so keep doing what you are doing!

Smart people

Former Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, good strategy, hard driving.

Cons

Work life balance is off