Akamai

Updated December 12, 2014
4.0

Akamai CEO Tom Leighton
Tom Leighton

Pros
  • Awesome work-life balance, and the people here are wonderful - nice people with families (in 23 reviews)

• Academic environment full of smart people with a lot to offer (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very difficult to achieve and/or maintain - 55 (in 15 reviews)

• An extreme lack of communication between groups, employees and management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great technology & people, but little work-life balance

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The technology is great. The people are mostly great and smart. Compensation is pretty good and the benefits are nice. People are given a lot of autonomy and ability to do their job as they see fit - for the most part.

Cons

It can be difficult to move from one organization to another. Work-life balance is very difficult to achieve and/or maintain - 55+ hours per week is the norm and working remotely is frowned upon. I've experienced a lot of duplicate work, i.e. my management was doing a similar project as me, without letting me know - even though I was informing them of the work I was doing. At the end of the day, I spent many hours doing pointless projects.

As Akamai continues to grow - stay as flat as possible and listen to the individual contributors and first-line managers.

interview

Current Employee - Embedded Systems Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Embedded Systems Intern in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

nice colleagues, nice environment.
    my manager is not too pushy. my work is building up embedded system to monitor the datacenter.

Cons

few talks between others.
    hardware group is too small, and the company is for software.
    so most time our group is working on how to solve others problem,we have no our own harware products

talk more and give suggestions more to each other

Company's Immigration Policy is only in place not in effect

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a immigration policy in place that could really attract a international talent to join the work force.( It is not in effect though. When its time to begin it only has excuses after excuses)
    They pay for premium processing for your H1B visa transfer of employee to happily join the company.
    The policy is not in alignment with the HR department that makes it difficult for the existing employees to get their employment based permanent visa filled on time.
    They also pay in full for the employee's immigration needs but unfortunately only once which is not sufficient for most of the cases.

Cons

There are lots of excuses from the HR department. Few horrible examples include
    "We do not have sufficient employee to cover all the open cases for the permanent labor application."
    "We said 6 months but it is going to take another year" (specially after you have joined the company!)
    "We hired too many people so cannot file your application. You have some more time."

Honestly if you are a employee on H1 B visa. The application will begin only in your 4th year of H1B anniversary. That is the time when the company will think you are short of the time to work. So if you are looking for a employer to not put you in this dilemma find a different place to hang your hat.

The company spends only one time on your permanent labor application process(frugal attitude)
    It may take a long time for a few to become senior in the company and unfortunately you can not file the desired application process till you become senior. (They will not tell you this when you join them)

The employees working with the HR department who work on the immigration cases of the international employees behave extremely arrogant and disrespectful. Not helpful and egoist people. They gave me a feeling as if the person was not happy towards a few particular origin nationality or may be the person does not like the job. Very much a realistic concern to have! specially if the person does know who the real customers are to their job.

Please look into this matter to retain the internationals that wish to make Akamai as their work place for long term.
    Rough behavior with the existing employee while going through the sensitive process of green card application can reduce the moral of the employee to work with company for long run.
    Cutting cost on immigration needs of the talent working with you can lead to a long term unstable marriage between international employee and Akamai. Like many other unfortunate companies Akamai can also loose the reputation to attract talent of international origin to make Akamai a work place for them.
    Please relive the concern since Akamai in last 2 years have hired a lot of international employees in USA. The above concern gives a feeling as if someone is driving slavery in the company silently.

Low Compensation - Hard to move up

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Setting own schedule. Working from home

Cons

Hard to move up. No incentive. Management doesn't know what the hell is going on most of the time. Low pay.

You can't ask for more.

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Above the average benefit. Unlimited PTO as long as your manager approves. Great work-life balance. Great company outlook. Smart people to work with.

Cons

Collaboration between different teams is sometimes difficult. Not the best perks for continuing education (~$5000 per year). Company does not get much mass reputation because it's been very low-key in this industry.

Keep your good work. Tom Leighton as the CEO has been really awesome.

Great company and culture but poor communication and direction from many senior leaders

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, work/life balance, and great culture with lots of potential in their space. Very innovative technology and strong academic roots still a part of the place.

Cons

Many senior leaders have been there forever and seems to be a good old boy network even though they have hired many external outsiders. There is also a lack of succession planning and career management in many areas still so you hit the ceiling on learning quickly with nowhere to go.

Keep doing what you are doing but switch up some of the long timers in the management team to shake the place up a bit.

Great company and product, poor management

Current Employee - Major Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Major Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely smart people, engineers, product marketing and executive leadership. Akamai continues to evolve and offer valuable solutions for their customers, most notably their security offerings.

Cons

Management (upper and middle) has a disconnected communication model and middle management simply reacts to upper management. This creates an on-going frenzy from management as opposed to leadership and bigger picture thinking.

Don't simply react to demands from upper management. Work with your team(s) to create realistic goals and understand business patterns.

Great place to work with super technology and amazing people

Current Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent benefits
    excellent co-workers
    leading edge technology

Cons

The bar is set very high

Keep doing what you are doing

Interesting challenges, but not all its cracked up to be

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting areas to work like CDN, Cloud, Security.

Cons

Not a big fan of their corporate policy which they invoke at will if they want to get rid of you. Lawyer will shove you out the door, and not let you explain anything. Also the ability to move up is limited, ability to work on private projects is a rare commodity. Their corporate spirit is contrived, pretending to have a start up mentality. Acquisition of companies are sometimes not wise.

More Like a Confederation of Many Smaller Companies Than a $1 Billion+ Internet Giant

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is loaded with smart people. It's challenging and exciting to work in an environment where the *internship* candidates are working on their second Ph.D.'s!

Working at Akamai sometimes feels like working "backstage at The Internet," as we watch terabytes of data fly around the world. (Marketing claims that we "deliver 30% of the content on the Internet" are conveniently impossible to verify or refute.)

My view of the company is shaped by the group I work with - largely a set of dedicated, knowledgeable people with deep domain expertise and a willingness to share whatever they can in terms of time, knowledge, and tips. I work in the Cambridge office.

Cons

The company is saturated with antiquated, overlapping and competing systems (how many bug tracking / project management systems do we have? I lost count at five!).

Efforts are duplicated across the company.

This year, in announcing our *first* ever recognition of International Women's Day, our founder and CEO said "There's an International Women's Day! Who knew?!" That tells you everything you need to know about the company's dismal track record when it comes to addressing gender imbalances at the engineering, management, and director levels.

I've met maybe four female software engineers in my 7+ years at Akamai (but it's OK, 2/3 of the accounting and human resources staff are women - just not the department heads). I've encountered one black male software engineer - I hear there may be a few more out there. (But nearly every security guard and mailroom employee and maintenance worker is a person of color, so it's cool, right?). FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are nonwhite - four men, all of them of South Asian descent. FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are women, all of them white.

Beyond the complete lack of diversity among the employees, the company seems to be innovating chiefly through marketing rather than investing in real research and development. Some teams do devote resources to thinking ahead, but this is not a coordinated, company-wide effort. Attempts at major process improvements are inevitably stymied by stubborn and/or backward-looking managers.

Invest more in your employees. Invest more in research. Blow up the customer portal and start from scratch. Start developing *real* replacements for mission-critical legacy systems which I was told were considered obsolete when I was hired more than seven years ago! Stop hiring senior managers and executives from fading, aging tech companies like Cisco. See if you can find a few talented women and a few people of color to fill senior management, engineering, and sales roles.