Akamai

Updated December 12, 2014
4.0

Akamai CEO Tom Leighton
Tom Leighton

Pros
  • Awesome work-life balance, and the people here are wonderful - nice people with families (in 23 reviews)

• Academic environment full of smart people with a lot to offer (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is very difficult to achieve and/or maintain - 55 (in 15 reviews)

• An extreme lack of communication between groups, employees and management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting challenges, but not all its cracked up to be

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting areas to work like CDN, Cloud, Security.

Cons

Not a big fan of their corporate policy which they invoke at will if they want to get rid of you. Lawyer will shove you out the door, and not let you explain anything. Also the ability to move up is limited, ability to work on private projects is a rare commodity. Their corporate spirit is contrived, pretending to have a start up mentality. Acquisition of companies are sometimes not wise.

Overwhelming learning experience

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very open culture, good training facilities, time-off policies and perks.

Cons

No complaints, the recruitment process is long, but it's worth it.

Good work at a strong company

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting technical work at a healthy relevant company in the middle of the Internet. Management seems to be pointed in the right direction. Flexible work hours, time off and telecommute.

Cons

Lots of legacy code, challenging to learn as documentation is often poor. Change comes slow relative to a smaller company, as there is a fear something will break

bite the bullet and let some of these old systems go.

UGH

Current Employee - NIE in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - NIE in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you do not care about your job and are really good at keeping quiet, this is a great place to melt the years away.

Cons

Too many to list, HR issues at every turn. Mid-level managers are of no help to you. Do not ever say a single word about anything or you'll certainly be sorry.

HR needs a major overhaul.

More Like a Confederation of Many Smaller Companies Than a $1 Billion+ Internet Giant

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company is loaded with smart people. It's challenging and exciting to work in an environment where the *internship* candidates are working on their second Ph.D.'s!

Working at Akamai sometimes feels like working "backstage at The Internet," as we watch terabytes of data fly around the world. (Marketing claims that we "deliver 30% of the content on the Internet" are conveniently impossible to verify or refute.)

My view of the company is shaped by the group I work with - largely a set of dedicated, knowledgeable people with deep domain expertise and a willingness to share whatever they can in terms of time, knowledge, and tips. I work in the Cambridge office.

Cons

The company is saturated with antiquated, overlapping and competing systems (how many bug tracking / project management systems do we have? I lost count at five!).

Efforts are duplicated across the company.

This year, in announcing our *first* ever recognition of International Women's Day, our founder and CEO said "There's an International Women's Day! Who knew?!" That tells you everything you need to know about the company's dismal track record when it comes to addressing gender imbalances at the engineering, management, and director levels.

I've met maybe four female software engineers in my 7+ years at Akamai (but it's OK, 2/3 of the accounting and human resources staff are women - just not the department heads). I've encountered one black male software engineer - I hear there may be a few more out there. (But nearly every security guard and mailroom employee and maintenance worker is a person of color, so it's cool, right?). FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are nonwhite - four men, all of them of South Asian descent. FOUR of the 48 people in executive leadership roles are women, all of them white.

Beyond the complete lack of diversity among the employees, the company seems to be innovating chiefly through marketing rather than investing in real research and development. Some teams do devote resources to thinking ahead, but this is not a coordinated, company-wide effort. Attempts at major process improvements are inevitably stymied by stubborn and/or backward-looking managers.

Invest more in your employees. Invest more in research. Blow up the customer portal and start from scratch. Start developing *real* replacements for mission-critical legacy systems which I was told were considered obsolete when I was hired more than seven years ago! Stop hiring senior managers and executives from fading, aging tech companies like Cisco. See if you can find a few talented women and a few people of color to fill senior management, engineering, and sales roles.

Simply a fantastic place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (less than an year)

Pros

--Fantastic benefits package.
    --Room for career development and advancement.
    --Very casual atmosphere for a $1B+ company.
    --Employees are treated fairly and honestly.

Akamai promoted the position I applied for before they even sent me a job offer, based on my experience and education. In less than a year, I've received two salary increases and a bonus far larger than my contract stated, all because they are very happy with the work I'm doing. If you work hard and excel at your tasks, Akamai isn't shy to show you that they appreciate it!

Cons

--Literally no cons about this job thus far.

Keep being awesome.

Fantastic place to work and grow

I have been working at Akamai full-time

Pros

Akamai is a great place to work filled with extremely smart and dedicated employees. There is good career opportunities in most roles.

Cons

Akamai had to invent all of the tools required to build a distributed cloud infrastructure, but it hasn't attempted to move to modern open-source alternatives. As a result it can be difficult for new employees to get up to speed.

Doesn't care about employees

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good location, nice benefits, good pay.

Cons

Management doesn't care and doesn't listen. There is verbal abuse that happens, but no one is willing to speak out because of a culture of fear that has crept in. I left because as a software engineer from MIT I had big ideas and wanted to go somewhere I thought I could make a big impact. Akamai turned out to not be much like they said it would when the aggressively recruited me.

Clean house and try again.

Great company!

I have been working at Akamai full-time

Pros

Well respected company, amazing technologies, great company culture that is full of incredibly smart people!

Cons

Product packaging to internal resources who work on the field is lacking. Product packaging for customers is also lacking.

Stuck in the past

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (less than an year)

Pros

People are really nice. A modest amount of effort is made to have some fun. Some attention is made to quality. So far they've been generous.

Cons

Silo managed. Each group works in its own silo separate from other groups. Deep management structure aggravates the situation. We have more managers than a company 10 times our size. People who work on the same section of code may not share a common manager until the top executive VP six levels up. New technology comes in through acquisition rather than research. Definite lack of diversity. Few blacks and few woman in development.

Cut out the middle management. Flatten the management structure. Invest in research. The same people working on the product and working with customers know what needs to be done, so set aside some of their time to do research. Allow us to create our own personal workspaces. Adopt some modern SDLC.