Akamai Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Rewarding, but challenging work and organizational growing pains

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast growing, highly relevant, high energy workplace. Smart people, industry leader. Highly focused on revenue growth, and they are hitting the goals. Liberal time off, great benefits. Compensation is good. CEO genuinely cares about the people. Professional company.

Cons

Engineering and Sales driven. Marketing is a bit stuck in between, if you happen to be there. Growing so fast it is hard to keep up. In leadership positions, work-life balance can be tough.

Advice to Management

I have heard that there are some morale problems in different areas of the company, which appear to be related to setting output expectations higher than reasonable, and making schedules unrealistic. But I do not think this is prevalent.

A place to go if you get laid off...otherwise, move on

I worked at Akamai (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reasonable salary. Good benefits. Profitable company. GREAT work/life balance. None of that layoff garbage. Don't have to work very hard. Start at 10, leave at 5 or 6. Coffee time starts at 4. Don't really have to care much. Great place to retire at. Feels like a 2010's version of a defense contractor.

Cons

Very strict top-down corporate structure.Ossified culture. Any office outside of SF feels like a colony...everything has to go thru Cambridge. Lots of little fiefdoms, and trying to work outside of your individual fiefdom can result in much stress. Pretty much just have to keep your head down. Lots of ancient 20th century legacy technology that is not well understood by the current staff. Ad-hoc feeling to the company KDB...most queries for information on the MULTIPLE wikis results in status reports from 2004. That kind of stuff.

Advice to Management

The company's obviously doing well enough, so they don't need any advice. However, if ANY desire to get ambitious people to work there remains, changes will have to be made to allow for the ambitious.

3. Good Company with great work/life balance.

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work & Life balance with great flexibility of work from home. Great people and team (may be this is personal to my team ;-) One of the best management team. One of the coolest CEO (MIT professor)...such a gentle and humble person (well those traits are more in Akamai DNA..as they would like to say)

Cons

One might end up doing the same stuff over the years and very disappointing career progression or promotion path. Salary on the lower side. No snacks/food.

Advice to Management

Please do consider better alternatives and plans to retain employees serving Akamai for years.

Great company, mgmt needs work

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is great especially in Southern California. Development teams are a good place to learn and solve big problems.

Cons

Dated technologies makes it seem like they're way behind. Management needs better training. Agile is not a thing. Some projects seem to go on forever. Accrued vacation. Letting good employees go.

Advice to Management

More training. Less top-down style. Bring back accrued vacation.

6. Great place to work

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology, Good leadership, Growing, Flexible

Cons

Large publicly traded corporation, so things can take time.

Top down culture run by bureaucrats,well supported by HR.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai

Pros

Good viable business. Good developers and testers mostly. Very smart, interesting personalities. The CEO is likable and smart , but his blog "ask Tom" is written and signed by HR.

Cons

Culture of extreme fear, fed by many very quiet people on H1 visas.. People run away from you as soon as they sense any trouble. Run by the incompetent old timers with the great social skills, who would turn your every word against you. The ability to do the job does not count at all. HR refuses to look at that. Developers discuss technical details behind the closed doors, so to avoid disappointing those sharks with too much knowledge. Groups are isolated and only communicate to each other after the manager's approval. Six levels of hierarchy between a developer and the CEO.

Advice to Management

Weed out your managers. People need some air to breeze.

Akamai used to be a great place to work but not anymore!

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big company benefits - good health care, Discounted Employee stock purchase plan (ESPP), 401k. Good place to gain broad technology skills (CDN, internet, security, performance, FEO)

Cons

Extremely political culture, too many layers of management, poor career advancement opportunities, everyone overworked, no vacation policy (elective)

Advice to Management

Eliminate silos and encourage more cross-pollination across theaters, remove layers of bureaucracy, empower your employees to take risks and do what's right, empower middle management to actually be able to impact change for the troops, restore a culture where it's ok to have different opinions and encourage healthy debate

9. Couldn't be happier; I think I have found my home!

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After many years of working at tiny companies, I am really appreciating the charms of the large place filled with passionate, smart people. The challenges are endless, the benefits great, the people are wonderful, and the company actually has an understanding of and increasing commitment to good user experience.

Cons

While I mostly see this as a pro, Akamai's very desire to move Faster Forward and try new things sometimes seems to create stumbling blocks. The nature of the work and highly technical people also lead to some very quirky and occasionally antisocial folks… But mostly I have been very happy working with everyone, so these are both kind of a reach as cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing… I feel very included in the interests and prosperity of the company, kept well abreast of issues that affect the whole community, and very much that Akamai is providing a supportive environment for me to do my best work with my team.

The place I want to retire

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Akamai full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Akamai's corporate culture makes you enjoy coming to work on Monday morning. We're responsible for the internet, so we're in the cloud and working with cutting edge technology. Add fair market compensation to the mix with a good bonus, company stock, and good benefits. There's no other employer in South Florida who can compete with this mix.

Cons

Our location was acquired, so now there are more processes and procedures which we're not used to. It slows down the process, but at the same time it is necessary for a company that is as large as Akamai. A very small negative in the grand scheme of things.

11. Akamai is one of the best companies I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Senior Lead Recruiter in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Lead Recruiter in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love what I do! and I am proud to be part of an organization that delivers internet solutions necessary for the high tech. world we live in. Akamai provides flexibility for working women with families. This allows me the balance I need in my personal life to keep focused on my career.

Cons

Some days I wish I worked closer to the city , but the pros of working here far outnumber the cons!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing. I like the transparency during our quarterly meetings, and the ask Tom questions on our Intranet page...

RSS Feed </> Embed