Akamai Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
4.0

Akamai CEO Tom Leighton
Tom Leighton

Pros
  • Work life balance,Best salary as compared to other companies,lots of perks, (in 19 reviews)

• Extremely smart people, engineers, product marketing and executive leadership (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is impossible (in 13 reviews)

• An extreme lack of communication between groups, employees and management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Current co-op student at Akamai Technologies, GREAT EXPERIENCE

Current Employee - Associate Solutions Architect
    Current Employee - Associate Solutions Architect

I have been working at Akamai as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Akamai really pays attention to all the new hires. An extensive and detailed training program will be applied to every employees. I learned a whole lot technical knowledge as well as presentation skills from this training. Everybody in the office is super fun and friendly - I get to know them on personal levels. They pay intern/coops very well too!

Cons

I know have any con's to point out. Cannot complain :)

Angst driven

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice benefits and location. some great people to work with..while most seem to have no problem stabbing people in the back or throwing people under the bus.

Gaslighting is a true art form within Akamai saw this happen to several people before it happen to me.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance, only way to keep up is to take computer home and work evening and weekends including vacations.

lack of true opportunities unless part of the good ol boy's club....women not welcome.

why..they dont care and haven't from the start.

After a decade, I still love this company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of smart people to work with and the job is very interesting.
    You get a chance to change the world everyday by helping Akamai's customers with new project (almost every cool Internet service out there uses them like top social sites, all big news sites, media sites, etc).
    Lots of internal chances to grow (if you are good).
    Good health benefits, lots of funded culture clubs to choose from (like fishing, surfing, scuba diving, chess, coffee, biking, beer, etc.), free drinks and food (varies from office to office).
    Over the years I got approached by most of Akamai's competitors and interviewed with some of them to see which benefits and salary they offer, and I am happy to say that none of them pays as well or offers comparable benefits.

Cons

Hard to think of cons... Well the Akamai provided coffee in San Mateo sucks (some people have brought their own espresso machines though). Other Akamai offices I visited have cool espresso machines, so I guess this is just in San Mateo.

Keep innovating and ensure good people are happy as there is a lot of opportunities out there right now

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Akamai will stay in business for long

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great technologies to work with
    - workplace with smart people which keeps a healthy competition

Cons

- work life balance is not that great

It's nice

I have been working at Akamai

Pros

good place to work. Engineering is full of great talent and great people.

Cons

Really not much here. ParaTechnical roles such as product architects may slow things down and do make bad decisions often.

A stressful experience

Former Employee - Operations Team  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Operations Team in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time for more than a year

Pros

The main pro is that the company pays well and you are likely to work with very intelligent people. You will learn new skills while you're there.

Cons

The company is having growing pains. Most of the people there are the ones that held on through the dotcom burst. While that makes them very engaged in the success of the company it also make it very clicky... and tough to be a new person. For at tech company they're surprisingly uptight and have a generally tough culture.

Relax a bit

Excellent prospects for the future; flexible work-life balance

Current Employee - Engineering  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A company of innovation and pioneering. Stability. As long as the internet exists, so too will the need for Akamai's services. Excellent work-life benefits, unlimited vacation policy, ability to work from home. Having a technologist and the co-founder as the new CEO shows how important it is to have someone at the top who really understands the company.

Cons

As other reviews have pointed out, it's true that this is a political organization the further to the top you get. I actually don't think Tom Leighton is part of it, but certainly beneath him there's lots of politics going on. It takes a long time for change to happen. In certain departments the stress levels are brutal. In the Cambridge location, there's really not much "culture" i.e. colleagues getting together after work, drinks on Fridays, etc. That doesn't really happen on the East Coast the way it does at the West Coast offices. Wish that would become something that happened more often here with the support of upper management.

Listen more to what people want, and help foster a culture of connectedness.

Mixed thoughts on company culture.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time

Pros

The company seems to have a good footprint in the content/web acceleration space. they value everyone's opinion.

Cons

Very political for the size of company, takes a longtime to get consensus to move the needle.

Look at the very bottom layers of the organization and start the change.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company is overall doing very good.

Cons

portal team is not good.

n/a

Great company, not without its warts

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai for more than 5 years

Pros

The technology is really cool and unique, and the business is in an extremely strong position. There are a lot of smart people, so you learn a lot very quickly. There is a lot to do and hard work is rewarded to some degree. Most of the people people are good to work with as well.

Cons

The system is complicated and there are a lot of details to learn. Politics can be rough at times. There is a lot of proprietary software and a lot of it is not well documented and/or supported.

Worked for Akamai? Contribute to the Community!