Akamai

Akamai CEO Tom Leighton

Tom Leighton

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours, unlimited annual leave, good salary and benefits, lots to learn, helpful coworkers

ConsWork overload, work/life imbalance, location

Advice to Senior ManagementIntermediate manager should visit teammates regularly to keep close and good relationship

Senior Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Akamai full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture, Employee friendly and great benefits

ConsCompensation not comparable to industry standards
Bad location

The biggest Internet company you've never heard of.

Engagement Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than a year

ProsRapid growth. Akamai essentially owns the scalable Internet. As the world comes online, Akamai's fortunes and your career opportunities rise with it.

ConsThe value-add services are interesting, but Akamai's bread and butter is acceleration and CDN. For most techies, the problems you solve at Akamai (make a website or video faster and scale against DDoS) are not particularly satisfying.

My journey at Akamai

Senior QA Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTraditional caching technology mixed with some new cutting edge technologies to deliver the needs of Internet.

Consdepends on the product you work on

Advice to Senior Managementnothing.

UX Design Intern

User Experience Design (Current Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Akamai as an intern for less than a year

Pros- Many companies give interns easier projects but Akamai had me work on pretty significant projects.
- Free breakfast and lunch once a week

Cons- they don't pay for lunch hours if you're getting paid hourly
- The San Mateo office didn't have a cafeteria or a place nearby to buy food, but they are moving
- Desks were set up as cubicles. Made the office space extremely quiet.

After a decade, I still love this company

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLots of smart people to work with and the job is very interesting.
You get a chance to change the world everyday by helping Akamai's customers with new project (almost every cool Internet service out there uses them like top social sites, all big news sites, media sites, etc).
Lots of internal chances to grow (if you are good).
Good health benefits, lots of funded culture clubs to choose from (like fishing, surfing, scuba diving, chess, coffee, biking, beer, etc.), free drinks and food (varies from office to office).
Over the years I got approached by most of Akamai's competitors and interviewed with some of them to see which benefits and salary they offer, and I am happy to say that none of them pays as well or offers comparable benefits.

ConsHard to think of cons... Well the Akamai provided coffee in San Mateo sucks (some people have brought their own espresso machines though). Other Akamai offices I visited have cool espresso machines, so I guess this is just in San Mateo.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep innovating and ensure good people are happy as there is a lot of opportunities out there right now

Software Engineer

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany is overall doing very good.

Consportal team is not good.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Not for entry level engineers

Systems Software Engineer (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

I worked at Akamai full-time for more than a year

ProsWork life balance
Good people to work with

ConsThis is based on my personal experience - others mileage may vary ...

- support overload of existing production systems - keep firefighting
- rampant production failures leave little time for personal growth as a software engineer... unless you have come in with a lot of experience from the industry and all this doesn't bother you.
- too little time to write actual code (unless you are too brilliant and can code up something very quickly)
- Architect does things on his own terms and overrides tech lead and manager; often times tech lead and manager are as clueless as the new hire. Poor mentoring.
- Terrible for entry level engineer
- Too many things to know before feeling productive - whole lot of complexity in products
- Immigration process is slow for entry level folks (F-1 students moving to H-1B -- take care; clarify about green card immigration process during interview.)
- Upward mobility not so good, takes 4-5 years to get promoted (since there are only 3 levels for software engineers) no matter how hard you worked; till then keep growing linearly in terms of compensation.
- Lot of old guard - people store company knowledge in their heads, not sufficient documentation, you can get tired of going and asking for every small thing (even after spending 2 years in the company) -- this should be resolved by better training for new hires.
- Old legacy systems in place -- need to use more open source.
- Not as competitive in compensation and perks as other top silicon valley companies.
- Conservative east coast management - stingy in spending.
- record profits, record quarters -- but still cut down on perks and bonuses to employees who are main assets.
- projects are under-staffed. very painful at times even when the shortage of staff affects critical release cycles by a big margin. they do not want to spend!

I would look at better places in silicon valley to work for if you are a new or a recent grad.

Overall very unfriendly environment. Incompetent first-line managers.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDepending on your manager, telecommute can be encouraged or frowned upon.

ConsMost of people only keep to themselves. You never know when and who will stab you from behind even just when you think everything is going alright. A lot of managers are extremely short-sighted. They bend forward and take every requirement from Product team and turn them into a CR (change request, just like a bug) without even considering the overall impact to the system and pushing back when necessary. I guess that the manager's performance is evaluated by the no. of CRs they close. That's why they want to open/close as many as possible.

There is hardly any chance for advancement. Unless you're one of the boss's pets, you're pretty much stuck in the same position for many years until either your boss moves up or you can't take it and get moving yourself. Advice for the potential employees: work hard to get the level as high as possible since it'll be very hard to move up once you join.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo an overall audit of the first line managers. Interview employees and understand if there are anything unpleasant with the same boss. When you get consistent answers, you know who the weeds are.

Akamai is a great place to work

Systems Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Akamai full-time for more than a year

ProsThis review pertains to my experience in engineering working with folks in Cambridge, MA and San Mateo, CA.

Akamai is a great place to work for engineers who are passionate about distributed systems and network security.

1. Work along side some of the best minds you will ever work with in your career. Beyond all benefits and perks, this is the single best reason to be at Akamai.

2. Terrific opportunity to grow and make an impact at all levels.

3. The original DNA of the company that was set by the founders from MIT is alive and well. There is a culture of innovation.

4. Use the latest technologies (including open source) - skills picked up here are applicable across the industry. This is important as you don't want to be an expert on proprietary stuff no one outside cares about.

5. Managers are very technical and do a great job of managing a skilled set of engineers.

6. IT department doesn't come in the way. Just walk in and pick up whatever equipment you need and get on with your job.

7. Unlimited vacation policy.

ConsThere will always be things to complain about. No company is perfect.

Worked for Akamai? Contribute to the Community!

Akamai – Why Work for Us?

At Akamai, "Faster Forward" is how we approach everything we do, every challenge we undertake, each problem we tackle. Most of all, it's how we approach our careers, and our culture. Founded in the lecture halls and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Akamai reviews and ratings in San Mateo, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Akamai CEO Tom Leighton. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Akamai employees.