Aker Solutions

Add Photos

Aker Solutions President and CEO Øyvind Eriksen

Øyvind Eriksen

Reasonable summer intern job in 2008

Summer Intern (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions as an intern for less than a year

ProsStaff was very friendly and taught me a lot

Consdid not pay interns well, but that does not necessarily translate to full-time employment salary. Also, this was in 2008.

Very nice workplace

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsVery employee oriented, with little pressure from management and exciting challenges.

ConsStill a growing power in the US market.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuantity doesn't always means quality. The learning curve is slow in the O&G area and this has to be taken in account when hiring new employees.

A company still trying to find its identity.

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA good number of subject matter experts.
Friendly colleagues.
Flexible work schedule (for some groups).
Very good health benefits.
Above-average salaries depending on the department.
In most cases, employees have the ability to switch departments if you want to be challenged in another area.

ConsAs the company headquarters is in Norway, they consistently try to "globalize" the other regions to follow procedures and standards that are more applicable to European regulations and clients. These initiatives are seemingly followed by our SVP and VPs without question...even though some of those initiatives have the potential to hurt our local business due to the difficulty of meeting our local clients' requirements. In addition to this, we do not have equal amounts of resources here in Houston to execute our projects in an efficient manner. Norway has plenty of people to put on projects, but here you will find people working on multiple projects and receive little or no additional support.

Most mid-level managers and supervisors at the company are very good and treat their team members fairly. However, there are a couple of micro-managers there who have groups that are engrossed in chaos. If you can manage to avoid working in these groups, it's not a bad place to work. The company has 6 core values that look good on paper, but it is apparent that only certain people (i.e. anyone below VP level) are actually held accountable to them, because some of the higher-ups operate in a manner that is contradictory to those values.

The company reorganizes a bit too often in my opinion. In the years that I have worked there, I've lost count of how many managers, VPs, and even CEO's I've had. It has been quite some time that we've had leadership whom we could really believe in.

Training (except for SAP training) is non-existent. It looks like they are trying to change this, but it will take some time for this to really be implemented, and that's if they follow through with it. This was tried a few years ago and was off to a good start until there was (surprise) another re-organization and the new regime dictated that there was no budget for training.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of supporting your local workforce. It is quite evident that the expertise of a few employees in Houston overshadow the experience level of several groups within the so-called Centres of Excellence. It gets quite old having every argument end with "this is a Norway initiative and it isn't up for discussion."

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Undirected

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsMost of the professionals are good people who simply want to do a good job and get on to the next project.

ConsEveryone is under the constant threat of being let go at the end of a project. Job performance is not rewarded. Many managers seem bored with their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop telling people how to do their job and get out of the way. End the nonstop meetings. Hire some fresh project managers instead of expecting something better of the last ones.

Great Place to Work Back in the Day

Senior Paralegal and Risk Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI started with the company when it was John Brown.

ConsToo many acquisitions in a short period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDifficult to advice as there have been so many changes on company ownership.

Changing times

Project Procurement Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorkers are very helpfull & cooperative with each other.

ConsToo many management changes. Positions filled with not with proper qualifications.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop heavy management in some postions not filled with qualified personnel.

A Lot of Micromanaging and structural changes in the company

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsUsed to have good management but it kept changing every 6 months or so for the last 5 years.

ConsCareer options limited once set in. Lot of micromanaging with the new management. Benefits are expensive especially health insurance. Salary growth is meagre and not inline with market rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't indulge in micromanging.

Great Perks

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey provide great perks that help moral. It's a laid back atmosphere. Work/life balance is excellent with various work schedules offered. Pay is above average. Most people that leave come back.

ConsConsistency across all business units and business areas is not present. Management structure changes frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't fall into layers of management.

Good Company but no company culture or organization

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance
Nice people to work with

ConsNo career planning
No organized activities for team building
Groups are very siloed
Constant change
Low pay and no bonus

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should value employees and explain what is happening in the company. Only management experience benefits.

Good

I have been working at Aker Solutions

ProsGood work environment. Typical above national average benefits initial monetary compensation is good but raises are typically a small percentage compared to other places I have worked.

ConsCompany need to streamline business to much red tape and constant game of blame someone else type politics run rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany need to streamline business to much red tape and constant game of blame someone else type politics run rampant.

Worked for Aker Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aker Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aker Solutions CEO Øyvind Eriksen. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Aker Solutions employees.