Aker Solutions

Aker Solutions President and CEO Øyvind Eriksen

Øyvind Eriksen

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to learn

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood work life balance, can learn allot, good processes, good values

ConsConstant change, management team is young and therefore inexperienced

Advice to Senior ManagementPut experienced managers in charged of BU's pref. people over the age of 50 and not in their 30's or early 40's too much for them to handle

Unfocused

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Prosopportunities to work on various types of engineering and construction projects. good salary and benefits in upper management.

ConsThe company could not decide what field of engineering and construction to focus on. It seemed to change so often that we had very few repeat clients. Seldom matching for 401K program. Middle management is stuck in the 70's. Very little training in systems or new software.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone in the USA management needs to explain to Oslo how Americans do business. Maybe they should just sell this division to an American company.

Really like's to keep employees at all cost in stead of laying off they move you to another department

Service Engineer (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat benefits and great people

ConsLong hours and offshore alot

It is a great company

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat work/personal life balance. There is a lot of opportunitys for travel and learn different technologies and cultures.

ConsToo many reorganizations in a short period of time. Lack of integration between departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company wants grow and for this happen, needs get more contracts. A better integration between Business Development, Engineering and Procurement is mandatory to allow get more work.
Invest in more training (not only SAP).

Ok place

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time

ProsGood work environment. Flexible timings.

ConsLay offs when times are bad

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect employee loyalty by retaining good engineers.

Ok company

Financial Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany focuses on work life balance and has a half day Friday work week

ConsLimited career opportunities. The departments are small which limits room for growth or advancement

Grass Is Not Greener Here

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe Money was Good. That's about it.
If you are in dire need of money and can put up with a lot of "STUFF", then come on and get some of this!!
If you are already in the oilfield, Please read the "CONS" very carefully.

ConsVery Low Morale.
Doom and Gloom Atmosphere.
Management downright pathetic. Has no business being in the position.
Favoritism. Big Time!!
No Promotions, no acknowledgement of good performance.
Perform Mission Impossible on Products.
Does not practice what they preach.
Mgmt gets very defensive when you try to ask questions. No open door policy for everyone. Only a select few.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfixable. They are in it for the title and that's it!
Position filler at best. Only got that way thru the buddy system.

Reasonable summer intern job in 2008

Summer Intern (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions as an intern for less than a year

ProsStaff was very friendly and taught me a lot

Consdid not pay interns well, but that does not necessarily translate to full-time employment salary. Also, this was in 2008.

Very nice workplace

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsVery employee oriented, with little pressure from management and exciting challenges.

ConsStill a growing power in the US market.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuantity doesn't always means quality. The learning curve is slow in the O&G area and this has to be taken in account when hiring new employees.

A company still trying to find its identity.

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA good number of subject matter experts.
Friendly colleagues.
Flexible work schedule (for some groups).
Very good health benefits.
Above-average salaries depending on the department.
In most cases, employees have the ability to switch departments if you want to be challenged in another area.

ConsAs the company headquarters is in Norway, they consistently try to "globalize" the other regions to follow procedures and standards that are more applicable to European regulations and clients. These initiatives are seemingly followed by our SVP and VPs without question...even though some of those initiatives have the potential to hurt our local business due to the difficulty of meeting our local clients' requirements. In addition to this, we do not have equal amounts of resources here in Houston to execute our projects in an efficient manner. Norway has plenty of people to put on projects, but here you will find people working on multiple projects and receive little or no additional support.

Most mid-level managers and supervisors at the company are very good and treat their team members fairly. However, there are a couple of micro-managers there who have groups that are engrossed in chaos. If you can manage to avoid working in these groups, it's not a bad place to work. The company has 6 core values that look good on paper, but it is apparent that only certain people (i.e. anyone below VP level) are actually held accountable to them, because some of the higher-ups operate in a manner that is contradictory to those values.

The company reorganizes a bit too often in my opinion. In the years that I have worked there, I've lost count of how many managers, VPs, and even CEO's I've had. It has been quite some time that we've had leadership whom we could really believe in.

Training (except for SAP training) is non-existent. It looks like they are trying to change this, but it will take some time for this to really be implemented, and that's if they follow through with it. This was tried a few years ago and was off to a good start until there was (surprise) another re-organization and the new regime dictated that there was no budget for training.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of supporting your local workforce. It is quite evident that the expertise of a few employees in Houston overshadow the experience level of several groups within the so-called Centres of Excellence. It gets quite old having every argument end with "this is a Norway initiative and it isn't up for discussion."

Worked for Aker Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aker Solutions reviews and ratings in Houston, TX — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aker Solutions CEO Øyvind Eriksen. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Aker Solutions employees.