Aker Solutions

Aker Solutions President and CEO Øyvind Eriksen

Øyvind Eriksen

Grass Is Not Greener Here

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe Money was Good. That's about it.
If you are in dire need of money and can put up with a lot of "STUFF", then come on and get some of this!!
If you are already in the oilfield, Please read the "CONS" very carefully.

ConsVery Low Morale.
Doom and Gloom Atmosphere.
Management downright pathetic. Has no business being in the position.
Favoritism. Big Time!!
No Promotions, no acknowledgement of good performance.
Perform Mission Impossible on Products.
Does not practice what they preach.
Mgmt gets very defensive when you try to ask questions. No open door policy for everyone. Only a select few.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnfixable. They are in it for the title and that's it!
Position filler at best. Only got that way thru the buddy system.

Aker Business Services

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRelaxed enviornment, is the only good thing till they dont get after you.

ConsUnderneath the relaxed env there is strong politics by management and HR who are continuosly flattering Norway counterparts and care nothing about the employees, breaking job laws all the time.Most Norway Managers come to US for shopping trips than Business.

Advice to Senior ManagementEach new manager wants to get new rules and policies alongwith the HR.Lots of employees after years of service have been blamed and let go in a second. easily get away by citing its a Norwegian company and follow thier rules..but watchout you are probably going to face the mirror one day.What happens to others can happen to you as well.

Good but watch out if they try to hire you as a contractor, it's a warning they might not keep you

Would Rather Not Say (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aker Solutions

ProsPay is excellent to start with, very competitive. Recruiters and most people at the company are friendly, everyone works flex hours

ConsThe company spent over 1 month interviewing and aggressively recruiting me because of my qualifications. Turns out I was overqualified for the position. Stayed 2 months before being laid off due to lack of work even though I was told how busy they were at the time I was hired. No complaints from anyone about my job performance since I was never trained for the job - they had me opening mail and filing the entire time instead of what I was hired for. Waste of 2 months for a job I can't even list on my resume. Pay raises for office staff are barely 3% and that's if you're lucky.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some managers with spines, most that I saw were controlled by their senior staff. Need better communication with staff. Stop having so many meetings! Never sure exactly what they are trying to tell employees during these meetings, they seem to be a way to waste time.

Powergas going down

I have been working at Aker Solutions

ProsGood social activities, understand personal issues, good office.

ConsLow salary, no focus on employee development, much boasting little substance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of politicians, get professional senior management, require to be hands-on.

A very unprofessional professional place to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Aker Solutions

ProsWorking enviroment is easy, all you need is smiling. They don't care about accuracy of engineering calculation.

ConsNo quality work needed. A fantastic place for politicians but the worst E&C firm in Houston for engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAker Houston branch should be closed to save shareholders money.

Unfocused

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 8 years

Prosopportunities to work on various types of engineering and construction projects. good salary and benefits in upper management.

ConsThe company could not decide what field of engineering and construction to focus on. It seemed to change so often that we had very few repeat clients. Seldom matching for 401K program. Middle management is stuck in the 70's. Very little training in systems or new software.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomeone in the USA management needs to explain to Oslo how Americans do business. Maybe they should just sell this division to an American company.

Good working environment but poor salary

Engineer (Current Employee)
Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time

ProsGood people, good working environment

ConsHeavy work load specially for Indian Projects, Biased Management specially for few engineering departments, poor salary, less growth

heavy workload, every projects are fast-track, employees have no work-life balance.

Engineer (Current Employee)
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than a year

ProsHeave workload, up to 12 hours a day. Work on public holidays during peak project period. Employees drained physically due to long hours of work

Consgood learning curve & helpful team members

Advice to Senior Managementreview the strategy to win projects other than promising a ridiculously short time frame to deliver projects.

Great Potential

Planning Engineer (Current Employee)
Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Aker Solutions as a contractor for more than a year

ProsI worked as a Planning Engineer for 6 months and I was shocked at some one the practices, specifically the Subsea Tie-In and Structures Quality team!
However, the work life balance and Strong engineering team made up for the total lack quality.

I would happily recommend Aker (in Oslo) as a decent place to do business, but they will really need to look at the skillset and specifically the experience and leadership of the Subsea Tie-In and Structures Quality team if they want to progress.

ConsSHOCKING Quality team! - Very little skillset and experience and are out of their depths
Amazingly incompetent HR team ran by Aker Advantage (they truly shouldn't be vetting any CV's)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of current Subsea Tie-In and Structures Quality team and employ quality engineers with many years 'quality' experience. Also look beyond the oil & gas industry as the quality based engineers are better then those found in the Oil & gas industry.

With the greatest of respect, Norwegian engineers tend not to be hard workers and thus you need to look beyond the local resource pool.

A company still trying to find its identity.

Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA good number of subject matter experts.
Friendly colleagues.
Flexible work schedule (for some groups).
Very good health benefits.
Above-average salaries depending on the department.
In most cases, employees have the ability to switch departments if you want to be challenged in another area.

ConsAs the company headquarters is in Norway, they consistently try to "globalize" the other regions to follow procedures and standards that are more applicable to European regulations and clients. These initiatives are seemingly followed by our SVP and VPs without question...even though some of those initiatives have the potential to hurt our local business due to the difficulty of meeting our local clients' requirements. In addition to this, we do not have equal amounts of resources here in Houston to execute our projects in an efficient manner. Norway has plenty of people to put on projects, but here you will find people working on multiple projects and receive little or no additional support.

Most mid-level managers and supervisors at the company are very good and treat their team members fairly. However, there are a couple of micro-managers there who have groups that are engrossed in chaos. If you can manage to avoid working in these groups, it's not a bad place to work. The company has 6 core values that look good on paper, but it is apparent that only certain people (i.e. anyone below VP level) are actually held accountable to them, because some of the higher-ups operate in a manner that is contradictory to those values.

The company reorganizes a bit too often in my opinion. In the years that I have worked there, I've lost count of how many managers, VPs, and even CEO's I've had. It has been quite some time that we've had leadership whom we could really believe in.

Training (except for SAP training) is non-existent. It looks like they are trying to change this, but it will take some time for this to really be implemented, and that's if they follow through with it. This was tried a few years ago and was off to a good start until there was (surprise) another re-organization and the new regime dictated that there was no budget for training.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job of supporting your local workforce. It is quite evident that the expertise of a few employees in Houston overshadow the experience level of several groups within the so-called Centres of Excellence. It gets quite old having every argument end with "this is a Norway initiative and it isn't up for discussion."

Worked for Aker Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Aker Solutions reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Aker Solutions CEO Øyvind Eriksen. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Aker Solutions employees.