Aker Solutions

Be The First To
Add Photos

Aker Solutions President and CEO Øyvind Eriksen

Øyvind Eriksen

Pros
  • Good working environment and can say its a school/collage to learn advanced engineering (in 11 reviews)

• Extremely good when it comes to work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of communication and knowledge transfer amon business units and/or functional departments (in 3 reviews)

• Constant change, management team is young and therefore inexperienced (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

A Lot of Micromanaging and structural changes in the company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsUsed to have good management but it kept changing every 6 months or so for the last 5 years.

ConsCareer options limited once set in. Lot of micromanaging with the new management. Benefits are expensive especially health insurance. Salary growth is meagre and not inline with market rates.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't indulge in micromanging.

Great Perks

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThey provide great perks that help moral. It's a laid back atmosphere. Work/life balance is excellent with various work schedules offered. Pay is above average. Most people that leave come back.

ConsConsistency across all business units and business areas is not present. Management structure changes frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't fall into layers of management.

Good Company but no company culture or organization

ProsWork life balance
    Nice people to work with

ConsNo career planning
    No organized activities for team building
    Groups are very siloed
    Constant change
    Low pay and no bonus

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should value employees and explain what is happening in the company. Only management experience benefits.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood work environment. Typical above national average benefits initial monetary compensation is good but raises are typically a small percentage compared to other places I have worked.

ConsCompany need to streamline business to much red tape and constant game of blame someone else type politics run rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany need to streamline business to much red tape and constant game of blame someone else type politics run rampant.

Chaos

Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGood place for junior / newly educated as they are taught well here. Also easier to get in with less education than many companies.

ConsA lot of turf war has bad impact on morale, projects and execution. No customer focus. High turn-over. Company always changing. Ethics so-so. Too many cowboys.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe basics of the company ain't working, and reorganizing isn't going to solve it. Management needs to sort out quality at top and mid-level first, and stop turf wars.

Good but watch out if they try to hire you as a contractor, it's a warning they might not keep you

Would Rather Not Say (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsPay is excellent to start with, very competitive. Recruiters and most people at the company are friendly, everyone works flex hours

ConsThe company spent over 1 month interviewing and aggressively recruiting me because of my qualifications. Turns out I was overqualified for the position. Stayed 2 months before being laid off due to lack of work even though I was told how busy they were at the time I was hired. No complaints from anyone about my job performance since I was never trained for the job - they had me opening mail and filing the entire time instead of what I was hired for. Waste of 2 months for a job I can't even list on my resume. Pay raises for office staff are barely 3% and that's if you're lucky.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some managers with spines, most that I saw were controlled by their senior staff. Need better communication with staff. Stop having so many meetings! Never sure exactly what they are trying to tell employees during these meetings, they seem to be a way to waste time.

Weak player in E & C

Senior Process Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSmall office in Houston..is that a pro?

ConsVery weak market positions. SInce 2006 when there was about 500+ employess at Briarpark in Houston now there is around 190.
    Poor management team, especially the current Houston president, who was once a piper. Very obnoxious and rude to employees during meetings when they ask questions.
    Stay away........morale is low and unlikley to improve any time soon. Not competitive in pay scale either.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the current situation with the president, and dismiss him ASAP. Need to recruit someone with better savvy and market knowledge, instead of laying off people to keep afloat while the "president" commutes to West Virginia on weekends on the company dime.

Review for Aker Solutions US Inc

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsSmall company, flexible hours. People are nice to work with. Location is ok. Casual work environment. Work is not too stressful.

ConsManagement can't get projects and bullsh!ts to employees during All-Employee Meetings. Management takes an aggressive approach towards employees and does not realize that the engineers are the core value of the company and not themselves. They send people on "vacation" when there is no work and in general don't care about the employees. No real raises or promotions in the last 2, almost 3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that the employees are the value of the company and treat them with respect. Quit hiring more upper level people that don't do anything but consume overhead resources. Quit paying for people to fly into work weekly from W. Virginia.

Aker Solutions Review

Principal Engineer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsA small company so you do get to know your boss and superiors.

ConsThis is a Norwegian company that is proficient at north sea oil and gas work, but very weak in most areas downstream. Not competitive in the Houston market because their multiplier is too high.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to understand why this company has been shrinking while many other E&Cs are growing. The Houston office is a mystery to the brass in Norway; not an acceptable situation. Bids for projects are too high because work is used to support the espensive norwegian offices.

Aker Solutions is a good compnay

Staffing Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe People are the best reasons to work for Aker Solutions.

ConsMain Campus buildings are little drab and could use some color and energy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Open & Honest communication

Worked for Aker Solutions? Contribute to the Community!