Aker Solutions

Updated October 10, 2014
3.6

Aker Solutions President and CEO Øyvind Eriksen
Øyvind Eriksen

Pros
  • They work hard to live up to their core values and ensure that they have a good working environment (in 13 reviews)

• Extremely good when it comes to work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • All business units are not equally developed (in 3 reviews)

• Constant change, management team is young and therefore inexperienced (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Very nice workplace

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very employee oriented, with little pressure from management and exciting challenges.

Cons

Still a growing power in the US market.

Quantity doesn't always means quality. The learning curve is slow in the O&G area and this has to be taken in account when hiring new employees.

A company still trying to find its identity.

Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A good number of subject matter experts.
    Friendly colleagues.
    Flexible work schedule (for some groups).
    Very good health benefits.
    Above-average salaries depending on the department.
    In most cases, employees have the ability to switch departments if you want to be challenged in another area.

Cons

As the company headquarters is in Norway, they consistently try to "globalize" the other regions to follow procedures and standards that are more applicable to European regulations and clients. These initiatives are seemingly followed by our SVP and VPs without question...even though some of those initiatives have the potential to hurt our local business due to the difficulty of meeting our local clients' requirements. In addition to this, we do not have equal amounts of resources here in Houston to execute our projects in an efficient manner. Norway has plenty of people to put on projects, but here you will find people working on multiple projects and receive little or no additional support.

Most mid-level managers and supervisors at the company are very good and treat their team members fairly. However, there are a couple of micro-managers there who have groups that are engrossed in chaos. If you can manage to avoid working in these groups, it's not a bad place to work. The company has 6 core values that look good on paper, but it is apparent that only certain people (i.e. anyone below VP level) are actually held accountable to them, because some of the higher-ups operate in a manner that is contradictory to those values.

The company reorganizes a bit too often in my opinion. In the years that I have worked there, I've lost count of how many managers, VPs, and even CEO's I've had. It has been quite some time that we've had leadership whom we could really believe in.

Training (except for SAP training) is non-existent. It looks like they are trying to change this, but it will take some time for this to really be implemented, and that's if they follow through with it. This was tried a few years ago and was off to a good start until there was (surprise) another re-organization and the new regime dictated that there was no budget for training.

Do a better job of supporting your local workforce. It is quite evident that the expertise of a few employees in Houston overshadow the experience level of several groups within the so-called Centres of Excellence. It gets quite old having every argument end with "this is a Norway initiative and it isn't up for discussion."

Undirected

Former Employee - Senior Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the professionals are good people who simply want to do a good job and get on to the next project.

Cons

Everyone is under the constant threat of being let go at the end of a project. Job performance is not rewarded. Many managers seem bored with their jobs.

Stop telling people how to do their job and get out of the way. End the nonstop meetings. Hire some fresh project managers instead of expecting something better of the last ones.

Great Place to Work Back in the Day

Former Employee - Senior Paralegal and Risk Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Paralegal and Risk Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I started with the company when it was John Brown.

Cons

Too many acquisitions in a short period of time.

Difficult to advice as there have been so many changes on company ownership.

Changing times

Former Employee - Project Procurement Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Procurement Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Workers are very helpfull & cooperative with each other.

Cons

Too many management changes. Positions filled with not with proper qualifications.

Top heavy management in some postions not filled with qualified personnel.

A Lot of Micromanaging and structural changes in the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Used to have good management but it kept changing every 6 months or so for the last 5 years.

Cons

Career options limited once set in. Lot of micromanaging with the new management. Benefits are expensive especially health insurance. Salary growth is meagre and not inline with market rates.

Don't indulge in micromanging.

Great Perks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They provide great perks that help moral. It's a laid back atmosphere. Work/life balance is excellent with various work schedules offered. Pay is above average. Most people that leave come back.

Cons

Consistency across all business units and business areas is not present. Management structure changes frequently.

Don't fall into layers of management.

Good Company but no company culture or organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Nice people to work with

Cons

No career planning
    No organized activities for team building
    Groups are very siloed
    Constant change
    Low pay and no bonus

Management should value employees and explain what is happening in the company. Only management experience benefits.

Good

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Good work environment. Typical above national average benefits initial monetary compensation is good but raises are typically a small percentage compared to other places I have worked.

Cons

Company need to streamline business to much red tape and constant game of blame someone else type politics run rampant.

Chaos

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Good place for junior / newly educated as they are taught well here. Also easier to get in with less education than many companies.

Cons

A lot of turf war has bad impact on morale, projects and execution. No customer focus. High turn-over. Company always changing. Ethics so-so. Too many cowboys.

The basics of the company ain't working, and reorganizing isn't going to solve it. Management needs to sort out quality at top and mid-level first, and stop turf wars.