Aker Solutions Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

A Lot of Micromanaging and structural changes in the company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Used to have good management but it kept changing every 6 months or so for the last 5 years.

Cons

Career options limited once set in. Lot of micromanaging with the new management. Benefits are expensive especially health insurance. Salary growth is meagre and not inline with market rates.

Advice to Management

Don't indulge in micromanging.

Great Perks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They provide great perks that help moral. It's a laid back atmosphere. Work/life balance is excellent with various work schedules offered. Pay is above average. Most people that leave come back.

Cons

Consistency across all business units and business areas is not present. Management structure changes frequently.

Advice to Management

Don't fall into layers of management.

Good Company but no company culture or organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Nice people to work with

Cons

No career planning
    No organized activities for team building
    Groups are very siloed
    Constant change
    Low pay and no bonus

Advice to Management

Management should value employees and explain what is happening in the company. Only management experience benefits.

Good

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Good work environment. Typical above national average benefits initial monetary compensation is good but raises are typically a small percentage compared to other places I have worked.

Cons

Company need to streamline business to much red tape and constant game of blame someone else type politics run rampant.

Chaos

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Good place for junior / newly educated as they are taught well here. Also easier to get in with less education than many companies.

Cons

A lot of turf war has bad impact on morale, projects and execution. No customer focus. High turn-over. Company always changing. Ethics so-so. Too many cowboys.

Advice to Management

The basics of the company ain't working, and reorganizing isn't going to solve it. Management needs to sort out quality at top and mid-level first, and stop turf wars.

Good but watch out if they try to hire you as a contractor, it's a warning they might not keep you

Current Employee - Would Rather Not Say in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Would Rather Not Say in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Pay is excellent to start with, very competitive. Recruiters and most people at the company are friendly, everyone works flex hours

Cons

The company spent over 1 month interviewing and aggressively recruiting me because of my qualifications. Turns out I was overqualified for the position. Stayed 2 months before being laid off due to lack of work even though I was told how busy they were at the time I was hired. No complaints from anyone about my job performance since I was never trained for the job - they had me opening mail and filing the entire time instead of what I was hired for. Waste of 2 months for a job I can't even list on my resume. Pay raises for office staff are barely 3% and that's if you're lucky.

Advice to Management

Get some managers with spines, most that I saw were controlled by their senior staff. Need better communication with staff. Stop having so many meetings! Never sure exactly what they are trying to tell employees during these meetings, they seem to be a way to waste time.

Weak player in E & C

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Small office in Houston..is that a pro?

Cons

Very weak market positions. SInce 2006 when there was about 500+ employess at Briarpark in Houston now there is around 190.
    Poor management team, especially the current Houston president, who was once a piper. Very obnoxious and rude to employees during meetings when they ask questions.
    Stay away........morale is low and unlikley to improve any time soon. Not competitive in pay scale either.

Advice to Management

Address the current situation with the president, and dismiss him ASAP. Need to recruit someone with better savvy and market knowledge, instead of laying off people to keep afloat while the "president" commutes to West Virginia on weekends on the company dime.

Review for Aker Solutions US Inc

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Small company, flexible hours. People are nice to work with. Location is ok. Casual work environment. Work is not too stressful.

Cons

Management can't get projects and bullsh!ts to employees during All-Employee Meetings. Management takes an aggressive approach towards employees and does not realize that the engineers are the core value of the company and not themselves. They send people on "vacation" when there is no work and in general don't care about the employees. No real raises or promotions in the last 2, almost 3 years.

Advice to Management

Recognize that the employees are the value of the company and treat them with respect. Quit hiring more upper level people that don't do anything but consume overhead resources. Quit paying for people to fly into work weekly from W. Virginia.

Aker Solutions Review

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

A small company so you do get to know your boss and superiors.

Cons

This is a Norwegian company that is proficient at north sea oil and gas work, but very weak in most areas downstream. Not competitive in the Houston market because their multiplier is too high.

Advice to Management

Need to understand why this company has been shrinking while many other E&Cs are growing. The Houston office is a mystery to the brass in Norway; not an acceptable situation. Bids for projects are too high because work is used to support the espensive norwegian offices.

Aker Solutions is a good compnay

Current Employee - Staffing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staffing Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

The People are the best reasons to work for Aker Solutions.

Cons

Main Campus buildings are little drab and could use some color and energy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the Open & Honest communication

RSS Feed </> Embed