Aker Solutions Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
127 reviews filtered by

Good Company but no company culture or organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Nice people to work with

Cons

No career planning
    No organized activities for team building
    Groups are very siloed
    Constant change
    Low pay and no bonus

Management should value employees and explain what is happening in the company. Only management experience benefits.

Good

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Good work environment. Typical above national average benefits initial monetary compensation is good but raises are typically a small percentage compared to other places I have worked.

Cons

Company need to streamline business to much red tape and constant game of blame someone else type politics run rampant.

Chaos

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Good place for junior / newly educated as they are taught well here. Also easier to get in with less education than many companies.

Cons

A lot of turf war has bad impact on morale, projects and execution. No customer focus. High turn-over. Company always changing. Ethics so-so. Too many cowboys.

The basics of the company ain't working, and reorganizing isn't going to solve it. Management needs to sort out quality at top and mid-level first, and stop turf wars.

Good but watch out if they try to hire you as a contractor, it's a warning they might not keep you

Current Employee - Would Rather Not Say in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Would Rather Not Say in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Pay is excellent to start with, very competitive. Recruiters and most people at the company are friendly, everyone works flex hours

Cons

The company spent over 1 month interviewing and aggressively recruiting me because of my qualifications. Turns out I was overqualified for the position. Stayed 2 months before being laid off due to lack of work even though I was told how busy they were at the time I was hired. No complaints from anyone about my job performance since I was never trained for the job - they had me opening mail and filing the entire time instead of what I was hired for. Waste of 2 months for a job I can't even list on my resume. Pay raises for office staff are barely 3% and that's if you're lucky.

Get some managers with spines, most that I saw were controlled by their senior staff. Need better communication with staff. Stop having so many meetings! Never sure exactly what they are trying to tell employees during these meetings, they seem to be a way to waste time.

Weak player in E & C

Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Small office in Houston..is that a pro?

Cons

Very weak market positions. SInce 2006 when there was about 500+ employess at Briarpark in Houston now there is around 190.
    Poor management team, especially the current Houston president, who was once a piper. Very obnoxious and rude to employees during meetings when they ask questions.
    Stay away........morale is low and unlikley to improve any time soon. Not competitive in pay scale either.

Address the current situation with the president, and dismiss him ASAP. Need to recruit someone with better savvy and market knowledge, instead of laying off people to keep afloat while the "president" commutes to West Virginia on weekends on the company dime.

Review for Aker Solutions US Inc

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Small company, flexible hours. People are nice to work with. Location is ok. Casual work environment. Work is not too stressful.

Cons

Management can't get projects and bullsh!ts to employees during All-Employee Meetings. Management takes an aggressive approach towards employees and does not realize that the engineers are the core value of the company and not themselves. They send people on "vacation" when there is no work and in general don't care about the employees. No real raises or promotions in the last 2, almost 3 years.

Recognize that the employees are the value of the company and treat them with respect. Quit hiring more upper level people that don't do anything but consume overhead resources. Quit paying for people to fly into work weekly from W. Virginia.

Aker Solutions Review

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

A small company so you do get to know your boss and superiors.

Cons

This is a Norwegian company that is proficient at north sea oil and gas work, but very weak in most areas downstream. Not competitive in the Houston market because their multiplier is too high.

Need to understand why this company has been shrinking while many other E&Cs are growing. The Houston office is a mystery to the brass in Norway; not an acceptable situation. Bids for projects are too high because work is used to support the espensive norwegian offices.

Aker Solutions is a good compnay

Current Employee - Staffing Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staffing Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

The People are the best reasons to work for Aker Solutions.

Cons

Main Campus buildings are little drab and could use some color and energy.

Keep up the Open & Honest communication

Pleasant and friendly environment at work

Current Employee - Project Planner Scheduler in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Planner Scheduler in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions

Pros

Good company very people oriented...

Cons

small company and needs to grow

more family oriented to ensure peoples commitment to the company... when employees feel good the company also feels good...

11. A great company to work with

Current Employee - Quality Surveillance Engineer in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Quality Surveillance Engineer in Pune (India)

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Wonderful and talented CEO who can empathize with people and know what they going through at the workplace.
    2. Amazing people
    3. No micromanagement
    4. Freedom
    5. Leadership is not given to people based solely on their performance but on their attitude and conduct towards others along with the performance.

Cons

As in the case with every other company, there are black sheep who try to take the credit, however, the managers are sharp enough to understand.
    As a service provider to internal clients within the group based in Norway, USA, Malaysia, etc., not many are getting opportunities, and as result their careers are hitting a roadblock.
    It's good to work to here initially, and boring once you get saturated.

Please do something by involving the global management of Aker to revive the careers of people.