Akimeka Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
15 reviews filtered by
3.1
John Harris

1. A great place to Work!

Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrative in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - Junior Systems Administrative in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at Akimeka full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

they try to keep you in mind and share the wealth!

Cons

the only cons i can think of is that i am a remote employee so i dont have the visibility for the supervisor to see my work performance there fore my carrer opportunies are limited to my present job.

Advice to Management

get in touch more often with the remote areas

2. Overall the work environment is relaxed without lacking a level of profesionalism. Great opportunity to develop skills.

Current Employee - Lead SOC Analyst in Woodlawn, MD
    Current Employee - Lead SOC Analyst in Woodlawn, MD

I have been working at Akimeka full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent place to start a career in the IT field. Uses the latest and greatest tools in the industry. Relaxed working environment.

Cons

Low wages is the biggest con.
    Does not seem to place retention as a priority and results in good employees leaving.

Advice to Management

Increase salaries to deal with poor retention.

3. I wish zero stars were an option.

I worked at Akimeka full-time (More than a year)

Pros

better than unemployment? I guess?!

Cons

So, this is a Federal consulting company, and some employees work onsite at military or Federal agencies. I'm willing to guess that those people are leaving the better reviews, since, for them, Akimeka management consists of their personal manager, as probably very few people have insight into what happens with the actual management team headquartered in Florida. Some of the onsite managers are pretty good. Anybody competent, with experience in a few different successful companies, will pretty much instantly see that there are a lot of problems with the skill sets (or lack thereof) of the management team. In short, this is a company that has been living off earmarks by being a Hawaii-based company; but those handouts are drying up. Their CEO is a former financial manager who knows nothing of strategy and is certainly not of the caliber of management who could successfully navigate the complexities of surviving as a large business in the cutthroat Federal market. The upper management team appears to be all homegrown staff who have been promoted into their positions and are "learning on the job," so to speak. They are not succeeding at winning new business, and what revenue they have is mostly due to having won the work under previous conditions, which were more favorable - money earmarked for technological expansion in Hawaii, or work won as small business. It's a tough position to be in, undeniably, but what is really the death knoll for them, as far as I'm concerned, is the president's inability to take any responsibility for the company's or his own shortcomings. Everything is somebody else's fault. Without the ability to understand the drivers of failures and correct course, this ship is invariably going to crash into the rocks.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge that you actually know very little about running a successful large company and get help. If you are one of the few competent members of the management team (and there are some; sadly, mostly those retained from this company's merger with fellow subsidiary G&B Solutions), get out while you can still do it on your own terms.

5. It's alright!

I have been working at Akimeka full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance. no micro managerment

Cons

Not sure what'll happen after contract end.

6. comatose

Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Kïhei, HI
    Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Kïhei, HI

I worked at Akimeka full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

if you are in coma, this is a place for you

Cons

reactive, do as you are told, think in the box

Advice to Management

care and listen to your employees

7. Overall a good experience

Former Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Akimeka full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Administrative staff is excellent. Top leadership is enlightened.

Cons

There was a little too much micro management.

Advice to Management

Lighten up and allow some growing pains while on the road to increased business development.

8. Good company, hard to move up.

I have been working at Akimeka full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seems like they treat their employees good. I dont see anything different compared to the other companies similar to Akimeka.

Cons

Tried moving to different positions to gain more experience/knowledge and be more helpful to the company by trying to learn new technologies and acquire more skills...but it seems as though they want to keep me in my position instead of letting me grow within the company.

Advice to Management

Be more involved with good employees.

9. Akimeka, LLC

Current Employee - President in Maitland, FL
    Current Employee - President in Maitland, FL

I have been working at Akimeka full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Akimeka is a proud employer who has been in business for over 15 years. Akimeka does offer excellent benefits, many of which are offered at minimal cost to our employees.

As part of the year-long integration of G&B Solutions into Akimeka, LLC, Akimeka’s management team, including the President, Program Director, and Human Resources Director, have sent communications two to three times a month about any organizational changes.

Akimeka’s Human Resources department routinely responds to employee requests for information within 24 hours. If an inquiry requires research, it may take 36 to 72 hours, however every employee receives a response

Cons

With respect to the employee’s perception of benefits and SOSS contract specific pay cuts, the factual timeline is as follows:

The open enrollment period was held at the end of November 2013 for all eligible employees to select benefits that would be effective January 1, 2014 (which is a similar timeline as occurs with many companies).

The government’s award decision (and notification to KSI and Akimeka) of the SOSS contract occurred in mid-January 2014. The two companies have worked diligently to keep both company’s people employed on the new contract which takes effect on February 19th, however, that meant that all the SOSS contract employees were required to take a pay cut. As discussed in the conference calls on January 24, Akimeka followed through as promised with notification to employees of the new wage rates on January 28th.

We understand that if wage changes had been known at open enrollment that employees might have selected difference benefits options, but Akimeka was unaware of the final financial implications of the new contract until the government’s award decision was made in mid-January. Due to IRS guidelines with respect to benefits plans/guidelines, the company is unable to offer an opportunity to change benefits until January 2015.

Employees will continue to have an annual performance evaluation, and those employees that deliver measurable, substantiated results will be compensated appropriately.

Advice to Management

As the President of Akimeka, I have posted this response to let our employees, and potential employees, know that Akimeka (and its parent company VSE Corporation, which has been in business for 50 years) are confident of the company’s ongoing viability and success for the future. Any employee who wishes to engage in ongoing conversation can contact me via email or telephone.

Screwed all of thier employees

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Woodlawn, MD
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Woodlawn, MD

I have been working at Akimeka full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic benefits. Upper management communicates very well with employees

Cons

Took on more work then they can handle. HR is often unresponsive. Recently handed down massive paycuts for everyone. Didn't communicate pay cuts very effectively (let us select our benefits and then gave us the pay cut!)

Advice to Management

Don't tell us in the same meeting that you're giving us a pay cut and we can expect raises in a month when we have our year end reviews - it makes it seem like the pay cuts aren't actually needed.

11. Slow pace

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Akimeka full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pace is very slow; going above and beyond is not rewarded; your job is to do as you're told (military culture).

Cons

Work is based on contracts with the Department of Defense and there are not very many contracts; if the contract you working on expires, you're probably done; tools are out of date and proprietary (java, perforce, oracle).