Akin Gump

Updated December 12, 2014
3.8

Akin Gump Managing Partner Kim Koopersmith
Kim Koopersmith

Great firm to work for - really miss it!

Former Employee - Word Processor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Word Processor in Houston, TX

I worked at Akin Gump full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary, friendly co-workers, quick IT staff, and benefits are wonderful

Cons

Not many that I can remember - we did suffer a lot of layoffs while I was there, but that was due to the economy and I was not one of the employees laid off.

Great big firm to work for. They're growing fast and there are opportunities for staff employees to climb up.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Akin Gump full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of professional and respectful people working at Akin Gump. Most of the attorneys are nice. Opportunities for growth within staff employees. Administrators and managers recognize hard working people. The firm also promotes further learning and training to sharpen current skills and learn new ones.

Cons

Not much to say here. I really enjoy working here.

Absolutely fantastic atmosphere for such a fast-paced and high-pressure work environment.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Akin Gump as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The employees of Akin Gump are brilliant legal minds but are still able to maintain a friendly and inclusive work environment. This firm is top-quality, allowing employees to climb the ladder in the legal world.

Cons

The extremely high-paced and stressful nature of the firm leads to very demanding work hours, weekends included.

The management is incredibly accessible and receptive to concerns and illnesses, when they arise.

Fabulous Firm!

I worked at Akin Gump as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, positive work environment, beautiful offices, and management with integrity.

Cons

Big firm life is demanding and the hours are tough no matter what firm you are in.

Great place to work with good management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Akin Gump full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment with good management. Great benefits and excellent training tools for any necessary jobs/tasks. Nice people to work with.

Cons

Rigid work schedule (not very flexible on hours). High stress environment. Nothing really else to say. Yes, you have to be able to meet deadlines and what-not, but heh, that's called having a JOB!!!

Please news about the company flowing to the lower levels.

Tax Counsel International

Former Employee - International Tax Counsel in New York, NY
    Former Employee - International Tax Counsel in New York, NY

I worked at Akin Gump full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, interesting clients, good relationships and mentoring

Cons

Good dealwork requires high time commitment, flexible hours are not possible

None--they know what they are doing

Great

I have been working at Akin Gump

Pros

Everyone works well together in the firm from top to bottom.

Cons

The ablility to do overtime is not great.

Akin Gump Rocks!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Akin Gump

Pros

Work/Life Balance. Always willing to give me my earned time off for my child.

Cons

The recent turnover of a lot of partners. We haven't quite recovered. There seems to be so many empty offices and we will really need to fill them.

We know the economy is in turmoil and layoffs are inevitable, but what is the real criteria? Performance reviews, longevity, etc. I personally think that the summer associate program needs to be really trimmed back. Way too much money is spent on this program. I know we have to compete with other firms, but in this economy I think it is possible to cut the program.

Recent departures cause jittery nerves among staff at Akin Gump

Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Legal Secretary in Washington, DC

I have been working at Akin Gump

Pros

I have always felt that Akin Gump was a place where my contribution was appreciated and that feedback from me to management was at least acknowledged. Their feedback to me is routine and open. There is no one watching over my shoulder and if I keep my attorneys happy, admin seems to be happy. I feel that I negotiated a good salary to start with since I was hired to be a secretary to a partner who was known to be difficult. I asked for more than I expected to get and they met that demand and added some to boot!

Cons

Lately (May 2008) the office has been in turmoil because of the departure of a fair number of partners. It is only through news stories that I know that the NY partners are balking at the rates and per partner profits of the other offices. This has caused staff to wonder if we are in trouble or just adjusting our practice. The office is looking a little shabby these days, and that feeds the rumor mill. The managing partner met with us to try to quell the nervousness, but most people felt that he was just giving us the party line. It still remains to be seen if Akin is on the way up, or down or just maintaining the status quo.

Be aware that the staff are feeling a great deal of insecurity about the upheaval in the partnership. Some affirmation would go a long way toward settling nerves. We may lose some good people who are afraid to remain on a perceived sinking ship. For heaven's sake, paint the walls and clean the carpets! It looks like no one cares.

Sold Professional Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Akin Gump full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Collegiate Office Culture
    Training
    Firm Management dedicated to informing you of recent developments and news
    The work that you're exposed to is incredibly interesting and you're working with and learning from some of the the most brilliant legal minds, which is great for a young professional

Cons

The work-life balance can be tough as times, but that is as expected working for a major international law firm.