Akin Gump

Add Photos

Akin Gump Managing Partner Kim Koopersmith

Kim Koopersmith

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good managers and bad managers

Associate Attorney (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGreat pay, easy to find work within the fast-growing sections, lots of autonomy and respect among lawyers, and great location within D.C. The usual perks of being at a large law firm, with a bit more tech-savvy crop of yound partner than you'd expect.

ConsEasy to get pigeonholed if you're not careful with your development; Lots of work-related travel and, like most biglaw, no work-life balance; High-level management tends to be great but lower level management can sometimes get in the way of getting interesting work; Some high attrition within certain groups, especially where management and clients can be quite difficult

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider how to keep people from leaving the firm by preventing them from getting stuck working for the same client or partner; better orientation and training within the section would be great

Long Timer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI am and have seen the upward mobility of the firm's employees (staff) over the years.

ConsTimes have changed in the workings of the firm.

This is not a place to work if you're planning on staying more than 3 years to repay student loans.

Attorney, 7th-Year (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe salary is probably the best thing about the firm.

ConsEverything else; it's biglaw, and is probably no worse than any biglaw firm. But overall it is not a positive environment in which to grow as an attorney.

Advice to Senior Management?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoy working with my colleagues.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsMajority of the staff are great to work with.

ConsLack of communication from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore open communication from upper management down.

Top-Tier, Competitive Firm

Attorney, 3rd-Year (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCompetitive firm and salary without the cut-throat lifestyle. The work-life balance is not ideal, but is better than one would expect from similarly situated firms.

ConsFirm needs more open communication with associates.

Extremely fast paced and stressful environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ConsFew Growth , Advancement and Development Opportunity

No job stability

Stress Environment

Strict Coporate Culture

Attorneys placed at higher priority to employees

Great intro to the law ... and Biglaw

Associate (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe work is very high-level, and the mentoring by other attorneys (associates and partners) is top-notch. The salaries and benefits are very competitive.

ConsLike most BigLaw, the downsides are the billable hours requirements and the uncertainty about the prospects for partnership after 7-10 years. .

Advice to Senior ManagementThe firm has an inverted pyramid. It might be time to take a hard look at the partners who might not be contributing fully.

Akin Gump Rocks!

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsWork/Life Balance. Always willing to give me my earned time off for my child.

ConsThe recent turnover of a lot of partners. We haven't quite recovered. There seems to be so many empty offices and we will really need to fill them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know the economy is in turmoil and layoffs are inevitable, but what is the real criteria? Performance reviews, longevity, etc. I personally think that the summer associate program needs to be really trimmed back. Way too much money is spent on this program. I know we have to compete with other firms, but in this economy I think it is possible to cut the program.

Recent departures cause jittery nerves among staff at Akin Gump

Legal Secretary (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI have always felt that Akin Gump was a place where my contribution was appreciated and that feedback from me to management was at least acknowledged. Their feedback to me is routine and open. There is no one watching over my shoulder and if I keep my attorneys happy, admin seems to be happy. I feel that I negotiated a good salary to start with since I was hired to be a secretary to a partner who was known to be difficult. I asked for more than I expected to get and they met that demand and added some to boot!

ConsLately (May 2008) the office has been in turmoil because of the departure of a fair number of partners. It is only through news stories that I know that the NY partners are balking at the rates and per partner profits of the other offices. This has caused staff to wonder if we are in trouble or just adjusting our practice. The office is looking a little shabby these days, and that feeds the rumor mill. The managing partner met with us to try to quell the nervousness, but most people felt that he was just giving us the party line. It still remains to be seen if Akin is on the way up, or down or just maintaining the status quo.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe aware that the staff are feeling a great deal of insecurity about the upheaval in the partnership. Some affirmation would go a long way toward settling nerves. We may lose some good people who are afraid to remain on a perceived sinking ship. For heaven's sake, paint the walls and clean the carpets! It looks like no one cares.

Worked for Akin Gump? Contribute to the Community!