Akorbi Reviews

Updated March 18, 2015
10 reviews filtered by
2.9
CEO

1. Small company with growth opportunities for determined individuals.

I have been working at Akorbi

Pros

Akorbi is a small company which is what attracted it to me in the first place. At a small company, you are able to have your voice heard and if you are willing to take the initiative - there are tons of opportunity to learn more about the business than what you are directly involved with on a day to day basis. Akorbi is currently growing by leaps and bounds which simply means there is more opportunity for individuals that work here now to move up the ranks to support new accounts and departments. For the most part, the environment is pretty laid back and no one takes themselves too seriously. While we are all about getting the job done, we like to have fun while doing so.

Cons

Again, it's a small company so that comes with headaches sometimes. We don't have a huge IT department, there isn't an abundance of office supplies by any means, the company is growing and that comes with growing pains that are sometimes felt by all.

Advice to Management

Set job expectations from the beginning. Be kind and courteous to employees while also being honest with them. Provide 90 day and annual performance reviews.

2. Sr. Technical Recruiter

Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter in Plano, TX

I have been working at Akorbi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Excellent opportunity to earn a great income
    - Truly enjoy the people I work with
    - When management states that family comes first, they truly mean it and provide an outstanding environment to thrive in!!!
    - Strong leadership team with open door policy with the CEO, President and Vice President of the organization.

Cons

Nothing major but just minor day to day business issues.

Advice to Management

What is nice about working with Akorbi is you are valued as an individual not just a spoke in the wheel. As we get bigger as an organization, never loose sight of this!!!

3. Great service to clients but amateurish management to employees

Former Employee - Ex-employee
    Former Employee - Ex-employee

I worked at Akorbi full-time

Pros

Wonderful translators and interpreters, this also helps to look good on your resume

Cons

If I have that option I'd give it a ZERO star because the one star is just to give brownie points.

NO work/life balance, this job is pretty much YOUR whole entire LIFE! With no rewards/promotion/compensation on the horizon. It's modern-day slavery at its worst! If clients have unrealistic deadlines and expectations, management doesn't care if you are dying of thirst and let the vultures take you, tear you to pieces, and eat you up. It's a give all take all approach. They care more about the clients (aka money) than they do on their own employees. I have never been treated like a low class slave like the slaves that were treated 3 centuries ago, and I am extremely appalled that this still exists to this day.

As I said before, management style is amateurish. You are working with people who don't follow through with requests, gave too many restrictions that prevented employees from doing their jobs, or kept changing the restrictions, and refused to invest in more manpower and state-of-the-art technologies to help deliver what the clients needed. Why? Because employees are completely expendable in their eyes.

Favoritism is very prominent. If you are not their favorite, there's no point to work diligently for recognition. So that means they are getting a great deal from you.

Advice to Management

I think what I have addressed says it all. I am extremely grateful that I do not have to work for such atrocious company that do NOT care for their employees which is why turnover is horrendous there. They pretty much want to keep the money as much as they can to themselves.

Most unprofessional company I have ever worked at

Current Employee - Project Coordinator
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Akorbi full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Learned new skills in a new field (translation) and was able to network with multiple clients. Casual dress code. Occasional catered in lunches.

Cons

Backstabbing office politics
    Highly unrealistic expectations and deadlines
    Employee overload
    Severe lack of training, with resulting poor performance blamed on the employee who was not properly trained
    Understaffed in key departments needed for success of projects.

The ex employee who stated the job was "borderline abusive" was very spot on in their analysis and stated the situation far more eloquently than I could hope to do.

Advice to Management

"Mean Girls" is a comedy movie, and a poor comedy movie at that. It is not intended to be used as a guideline for how to treat and interact with people in real life, in personal or professional capacity. Stop telling your employees how worthless you think they are, while expecting them to devote their entire lives slavishly to you without hope of advancement or compensation. Try actually listening to what people have to say before they end up in tears every day at their desk and can't handle the workload. Constantly telling your employees how much money you spent on tools and programs and denigrating them for not learning fast enough, (when you've scheduled your training sessions for the busiest part of the work day and expect your employees to work during the training) is not professional at all. Learn when to tell clients that their expectations are unreasonable and back up your employees. Screaming, yelling and name calling is not an acceptable management style in a professional setting.

6. Best Place I've Ever Worked

I have been working at Akorbi full-time

Pros

Business focused, but super laid back company. The fun coworkers, casual dress, monthly company lunches, company contests, and the hours are nice. Company is growing at an awesome speed (locally and internationally) which means there is definitely opportunity for career growth. Best benefit plan I have ever had and they match 401K.

Cons

Wish there was more opportunity to work from home. Only 2 weeks of vacation when you start out, which includes sick time...most places I have seen start out at 3 weeks.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to be productive no matter where they work.

7. Fast Paced, Dynamic, Growth Company

Current Employee - Accounting in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Plano, TX

I have been working at Akorbi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for self-starters, people with initiative and can do attitude. The company is growing rapidly and thus provides a tremendous chance to learn and explore new skills and areas of interest. The is not a place for a 9 to 5 mentality. But if you are looking for a challenge, a place to grow, an opportunity to have an impact on your future and as well as a place of leadership at work this is the place for you.

Cons

As with any company which is growing rapidly it has it's share of growing pains such as finding the correct employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and at this rate we will reach our goals.

8. Great

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Akorbi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot. I learned about public relations, marketing, decision making and project management.

Cons

This position is very busy. The industry overall is very challenging.

Advice to Management

I feel comfortable with them. Nothing to change.

VERY FAR FROM BEING A GOOD EMPLOYER

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Akorbi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Most of the people are very nice to work with.
    -If you are a translator or linguistic at an early career, It could be a good place as long as you are willing to put time and work for a lower rate if you are Spanish, Portuguese or Chinese speaker.

Cons

-Long hours.
    -Lots of "Extra time" expected to help the company grow w/o extra compensation.
    -High stressful environment.
    -A lot of micro-management from CEO.
    -No work/life balance.

VERY WEIRD THAT THE LAST THREE REVIEWS IN THIS WEBSITE, WERE ALL FROM THE SAME DAY (FEB 7) AND ALL OF THEM POSITIVE...EITHER IS MANAGEMENT MAKING UP ALL THESE REVIEWS OR THEY ARE PUSHING EMPLOYEES TO LEAVE GOOD REVIEWS TO AVOID BAD REP IN THE INTERNET.

Advice to Management

Don't exploit mid-career employees by telling them you should be grateful to be working for such a great company, so we expect you to put in extra hours for the privilege of working for us. Find some good work/life/family balance or you will never retain people who are vital to the long-term growth and stability of your company. I saw many people leave the company and heard that a lot of people left the company before I joined them.

It is a sweatshop, hard to perform top notch and feeling undervalued and underappreciated all the time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Akorbi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Gain a lot of valuable experiences that you can take with you on your next job. Get to work with many wonderful linguists from overseas.

Cons

If you don't mind being micromanaged day in and day out, possibly working late even on a Friday night without any reward be it financial or whatnot, and working with a weak technology and expected to perform "A" class, then this is the job for you.

Advice to Management

It is not enough to find good employees, need to find ways to keep good employees. Also, in order for the employees to take care of the clients, the employees need to be taken cared of and feeling valued.

Horrible. But I learned so much.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Akorbi full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A lot of responsibility so you learn fast. Great first job out of college, but not a job you would make into a career.

Cons

Small Company Politics, Owners micro-manage, hostile working environment, little vacation and time off. Over Worked, Under Payed. Very High turnover.

Advice to Management

Employees are over worked and under payed.