Akorbi

Updated December 12, 2014
2.6

CEO

Best Place I've Ever Worked

I have been working at Akorbi full-time

Pros

Business focused, but super laid back company. The fun coworkers, casual dress, monthly company lunches, company contests, and the hours are nice. Company is growing at an awesome speed (locally and internationally) which means there is definitely opportunity for career growth. Best benefit plan I have ever had and they match 401K.

Cons

Wish there was more opportunity to work from home. Only 2 weeks of vacation when you start out, which includes sick time...most places I have seen start out at 3 weeks.

Trust your employees to be productive no matter where they work.

Most unprofessional company I have ever worked at

Current Employee - Project Coordinator
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator

I have been working at Akorbi full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learned new skills in a new field (translation) and was able to network with multiple clients. Casual dress code. Occasional catered in lunches.

Cons

Backstabbing office politics
    Highly unrealistic expectations and deadlines
    Employee overload
    Severe lack of training, with resulting poor performance blamed on the employee who was not properly trained
    Understaffed in key departments needed for success of projects.

The ex employee who stated the job was "borderline abusive" was very spot on in their analysis and stated the situation far more eloquently than I could hope to do.

"Mean Girls" is a comedy movie, and a poor comedy movie at that. It is not intended to be used as a guideline for how to treat and interact with people in real life, in personal or professional capacity. Stop telling your employees how worthless you think they are, while expecting them to devote their entire lives slavishly to you without hope of advancement or compensation. Try actually listening to what people have to say before they end up in tears every day at their desk and can't handle the workload. Constantly telling your employees how much money you spent on tools and programs and denigrating them for not learning fast enough, (when you've scheduled your training sessions for the busiest part of the work day and expect your employees to work during the training) is not professional at all. Learn when to tell clients that their expectations are unreasonable and back up your employees. Screaming, yelling and name calling is not an acceptable management style in a professional setting.

Borderline abusive to employees

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at Akorbi full-time

Pros

Everyday is casual Friday, wonderful co-workers, gain valuable skills. Once you gain them, it's not worth staying in the long run.

Cons

Hmmm...too many to name. You can work 80 hours a week without compensation so you're really working for minimum wage in the end. Management could care less if you have overextended yourself to the bone. Too many inconsistent process to follow which complicated things and that deteriorated productivity. They expected you to be the Almighty One and to perform miracles all the time.
    When assignments that are not conducive to your role, they do not set boundaries at all because they believe that they are still paying you to do whatever falls on your lap.
    Unfair performance reviews.
    High turnover rate, so definitely poor retention there which is terribly unfortunate. You are definitely dispensable. After they terminate you, they will hire another poor naive soul to abuse, and history repeats itself.

What for? It'll take more than a miracle to get that message across.

Fast Paced, Dynamic, Growth Company

Current Employee - Accounting in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting in Plano, TX

I have been working at Akorbi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for self-starters, people with initiative and can do attitude. The company is growing rapidly and thus provides a tremendous chance to learn and explore new skills and areas of interest. The is not a place for a 9 to 5 mentality. But if you are looking for a challenge, a place to grow, an opportunity to have an impact on your future and as well as a place of leadership at work this is the place for you.

Cons

As with any company which is growing rapidly it has it's share of growing pains such as finding the correct employees.

Keep up the good work and at this rate we will reach our goals.

Great

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Akorbi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot. I learned about public relations, marketing, decision making and project management.

Cons

This position is very busy. The industry overall is very challenging.

I feel comfortable with them. Nothing to change.

VERY FAR FROM BEING A GOOD EMPLOYER

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Akorbi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Most of the people are very nice to work with.
    -If you are a translator or linguistic at an early career, It could be a good place as long as you are willing to put time and work for a lower rate if you are Spanish, Portuguese or Chinese speaker.

Cons

-Long hours.
    -Lots of "Extra time" expected to help the company grow w/o extra compensation.
    -High stressful environment.
    -A lot of micro-management from CEO.
    -No work/life balance.

VERY WEIRD THAT THE LAST THREE REVIEWS IN THIS WEBSITE, WERE ALL FROM THE SAME DAY (FEB 7) AND ALL OF THEM POSITIVE...EITHER IS MANAGEMENT MAKING UP ALL THESE REVIEWS OR THEY ARE PUSHING EMPLOYEES TO LEAVE GOOD REVIEWS TO AVOID BAD REP IN THE INTERNET.

Don't exploit mid-career employees by telling them you should be grateful to be working for such a great company, so we expect you to put in extra hours for the privilege of working for us. Find some good work/life/family balance or you will never retain people who are vital to the long-term growth and stability of your company. I saw many people leave the company and heard that a lot of people left the company before I joined them.

Outstanding place to work if you are motivated!!!!!

Current Employee - Recruiter in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Plano, TX

I have been working at Akorbi full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tremendous growth opportuntity, strong salary and bonus potential, with open communication with senior management. "If you want to move mountains, this is the place for you...."

Cons

Nothing major..... (Better coffee, a Soda Machine or a ping pong table in the break room would be nice)

Keep doing what you are doing and this company has the potential to do great things. The leadership team is solid and they truly care about the welfare of everyone and the company as a whole.

It is a sweatshop, hard to perform top notch and feeling undervalued and underappreciated all the time.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Akorbi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Gain a lot of valuable experiences that you can take with you on your next job. Get to work with many wonderful linguists from overseas.

Cons

If you don't mind being micromanaged day in and day out, possibly working late even on a Friday night without any reward be it financial or whatnot, and working with a weak technology and expected to perform "A" class, then this is the job for you.

It is not enough to find good employees, need to find ways to keep good employees. Also, in order for the employees to take care of the clients, the employees need to be taken cared of and feeling valued.

Horrible. But I learned so much.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Akorbi full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of responsibility so you learn fast. Great first job out of college, but not a job you would make into a career.

Cons

Small Company Politics, Owners micro-manage, hostile working environment, little vacation and time off. Over Worked, Under Payed. Very High turnover.

Employees are over worked and under payed.