Akron Children's Hospital

Add Photos

William H. Considine

an awesome experience

Medical Assistant (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsI loved working with the children. Very rewarding.

ConsHad a lot of turnovers in the front office with keeping secretaries. Lots of conflicts.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe had an office manager that wasn't in the office quite often because she had 5 offices to run.But all in all the office ran it self. Everyone got the same raise whether they went the extra mile or not so that's wasn't fair.

Loved to work there until I couldn't advance career wise.

Medical Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) Wooster, OH

ProsWorking with the parents and children was the best part.

ConsSurrounded by sickness from either the children or co workers

Advice to Senior ManagementDefinetly need better management.

It was a one in a lifetime job, where I learned great skills and was treated with respect by everyone.

Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsEveryone that worked there, worked as a team and not just for themselves.

ConsIf you were sent home for being sick then it counted as an absence and went on your record.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's like a bad dream that still makes me flinch

IT Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe mission and rest of the hospital is great. You can truly tell the medical staff love what they do and have a passion for helping the children and the community.

The opportunity to learn in the beginning was great.

ConsA ton of childish politics, red tape, back stabbing, gossiping, game playing, unearned favoritism, and an overall poisonous environment to be in. Run and don't look back.

Upper IT management can't let go of the out-dated ways they did things elsewhere 10 years ago, they have no appreciation for personal life outside work, and they rule by fear. This fear trickles down to mid-level managers, who then make terrible, knee jerk decisions and run to satisfy upper IT management's (or some doctor's) ever changing whim, no matter how ridiculous. This leads to unmanagable deadlines, poorly implemented solutions, and lack of direction. There is no free thinking and no opportunity to learn because management is too paranoid and unreasonable. These are the reasons waves of skilled (both short and long term) employees and managers have packed their bags and left.

Several middle IT managers are too inexperienced in management and are incapable of standing up for their team technically, too busy trying to please the lazy dead weight, and too interested in playing games with or intimidating their own people. They pick their favorites by whomever will tell them what they want to hear regardless of how inaccurate it is and let them break all the rules they hold so stringently to others. Rather than including their SMEs in decision making for a given technology, they hold secret meetings with their favorites who know little to nothing about the technology and let them call the shots, resulting in millions of dollars in waste that's just swept under the rug.

Their idea of a promotion or recognition is to pat you on the back and then slap you in the face, or just thank someone else. When you've given them all your blood, sweat, and tears, they wonder why you don't give more. When you express your concerns or dissatisfaction, all you get is lip service, or worse - flat out lies.

Raises are a joke and pay is below market. Training is for the faves or those that cry the most. If you work hard, you'll just get abused. When you do leave, you better give four weeks notice otherwise you will lose your hard-earned vacation pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR - Pay attention and find out why you can't retain employees in IT. Then clean house. It used to be a great place to work and can still be, but a lot must change.

IT Managment - Respect your people, their work, their talents, their opinions, and their personal lives. Be fair, be honest, be trustworthy. Stop abusing your people by creating / enabling the destructive working environment you have fostered.

Wonderful Place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsThe mission of the organization is excellent and the employees really enjoy working at Akron Children's.

ConsI didn't encounter too many downsides to working there.

Excellent environment, fast-paced place to learn and grow

Health Educator (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsLots of comradery. Unique culture. Some of my best friends were my co-workers. I felt proud of my job at one of the top children's hospitals in the U.S. and enjoyed going to work each day. There is a willingness to listen - even by top physicians - to other employees' questions and input. Some say working with sick children would be depressing, but the environment here was always friendly and upbeat, and I worked on every floor and in every department.

ConsThere are many higher-paid upper management nurses who squander dollars by wasting time chit chatting in the hallways, putting on a show about "how much work they have to do" when if they would just stop gossiping and do their work, they wouldn't be at work so late. I personally shared an office with a nurse educator who was the biggest drain of Children's dollars I've ever witnessed. Constant doctors visits, countless surgeries and reasons to be away from work, while sucking on benefits and high-paid salary. Others under these types doing the grunt work and get none of the credit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder. Treat those under you with respect and stop wasting time chatting at the coffee cart or in the hallways and do your job.

OK

Staff Nurse (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsThis is a magnet facility that is well respected though out the state of ohio. the vision and culture of the hospital is a very positive one and reflects in the atmosphere. In general, workers appeared satisfied and happy to work here. The work in and for the community is commendable.

ConsMy main complaint is the lower wage compared to surrounding hospitals. I have also heard by many that pay raises rarely happen and if it does it is such a low amount that it merely covers the increased cost of health benefits. the retirement benefits also don't appear to be competitive compared to other akron hospitals.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your staff better and have annual raises so someone can't come off the street and get paid more than your current employees with the same experience. And to certan unit managers, be more personable with your staff..

Good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Akron, OH

ProsI was proud to work for one of the top Children's hospitals in the country. I was treated well and the benefits were good.

ConsI felt that the compensation was poor and there was little room to make greater pay. Any raises I received were offset by by benefit costs going up.

Fairly satisfactory. If you do not have a degree, there isn't much chance or opportunities for growth

Director Secretary (Current Employee) Akron, OH

ProsFriendly co-workers, experienced and trustworthy physicians.

ConsYour just a number in a large corporation

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff on the front lines who do the work. When they say they need more staff THEY DO!

good

Prosgood benefits and a positive family like atmosphere

Conslow end on wage scale and somewhat difficult to move up the chain

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication

Worked for Akron Children's Hospital? Contribute to the Community!