Akzo Nobel Worldwide

Be The First To
Add Photos

Akzo Nobel Worldwide CEO Ton Büchner

Ton Büchner

Pros
  • Relaxed environment, nice colleagues, good work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Good people to work with, but many don't stay for long(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is hired in from outside the company and is quite clueless about running this industry(in 5 reviews)

• upper management too far removed from production sites(in 3 reviews)

A Wonderful Work environment.

Formulating Chemist (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsGreat resources and experienced staff.

ConsDisorganized IT and Raw material storage and ordering.

Slash, cut, and be surprised with poor results

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt serves a variety of fairly attractive markets.

ConsDraconian HR practices. Examples: tuition reimbursement program capped to a mere 25,000 euro for a degree, requires you to be at least MM3, and 3 years of strings attached. Forced grading of 10% of the population as being "below target", etc. Very European-centric.

As a collection of businesses cobbled together through years of acquisitions, there are very few locations with a critical mass to make you feel like you are part of something bigger. A march to reducing the number of sites has begun the loss of critical knowledge and skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have now launched and educated the majority of the company on a new set of values, it is time to actually MEASURE your upper and mid-level managers on THEIR compliance with those behaviors and act on those measurements. Jettison the Dilbert-esque engagement survey process. Take a very close look at your HR practices and consider rebalancing them so that they somehow become somehow to the employees. Begin to look at your businesses through the lens of how to make them grow rather than how to slash costs out of them. That might mean liberating them to owners that understand them and putting that cash into businesses that you actually understand.

I enjoyed being employed at Akzo Nobel because they treated me very well.

Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) Fayetteville, NC

ProsThey paid their staff very well, they did not discriminate against their staff and gave individuals a chance, regardless of their race. They just asked their staff to commit to giving their customers 100%.

ConsAkzo Nobel could not give us a permanent job. I was hired in contract status.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a great place to work, unfortunatly, not any longer.

ProsGood people to work with. Everyone really cares about the customer and doing a quality job for them.

ConsCompany is trying to change everything too fast. Future is questionable. If you care about the completing your assigned activities, you are expected to work 60-70 hours on a normal basis.

This is a great company to work for!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of freedom to work. The pay is very good. The benefits are even better.

ConsTheir expenses are outrageous. The need to do better at planning for the future. The sales needs to work with the supply and not against them. They are both on the same team.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a better job controlling expenses. Do better at communicating budgets both expense and sales.

Used to be a great company

Prosthere are some very talented people within the organizations
    benefits are good when comparing to other similar companies

Consadvancement based more on who you have befriended than the quality of your work.
    work life balance is tricky, and getting worse with constant systems changes
    upper management too far removed from production sites
    new forced systems have added nothing but inefficiency at lower levels - tools to do your job are not available.
    too many initiatives flowing downward without those above understanding how the actual processes work.

Advice to Senior Managementmake your way into the plants, understand the issues at hand, listen to those who are trying hard to tell you what they need to do their jobs. People at the site really do want to do a good job, but cant with systems that do not work, lead to inefficiencies and provide erroneous data. Stop the initiative pushing and instead pull up improvements utilizing the knowledge of those who know the processes inside out.

my experience was exciting and richly rewarding.

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsThere are many avenues to grow and the learning opportunities are limitless

ConsPromotions may require some travel or moving to other areas of the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust some of the unsung heroes in your company and don't be afraid to polish that diamond in the rough, they may become your greatest asset.

European company does not understand how to do business in the US.

Office Staff (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsDecent Pay, Good Benefits, Care about Safety

ConsAlways worried about losing your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within. Focus on making money instead of always trying to save money. Hire local people that are expirenced in your industry.

Cost cutters with communication on a need-to-know basis

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Union, NJ

ProsWorldwide resources, used to be great benefits, strong brands with large market share.

ConsTalent leaves, cost-driven to a fault now, they are burdened by past mistakes. Too much clerical work, not enough time to do the job. Management promotes pencil-pushers, not talented people with ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running off talent and listen to your employees

Good place to work!

ProsCompany is finally trying to develop its people.
    They promote cross-functional career development.
    Excellent 401(k) matching.

ConsCareer can stagnate a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more idea sharing among different businesses and locations

Worked for Akzo Nobel Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!