Alabama Power

Add Photos

Charles D. McCrary

Very rewarding career!

Engineering Supervisor (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsStable employment in the electric utility industry

ConsSometimes there is reluctance to inform employees of deficiencies

Buddy system perpetuates cycle of poor, unqualified management.

Power Generation Engineer (Former Employee) Bucks, AL

ProsPension, stable, quality people at individual contributor level.

ConsSalary, morale, performance management, quality of management, ethics

Advice to Senior ManagementStart promoting the most qualified. Abandon the buddy system.

Contractor for Alabama Power

Design Coordinator (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsFlexable work schedule
    Great Benefits
    Great associates

ConsBigger work space
    More direct hire positions

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Work long hours with little reconigition

Line Specialist Senior (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsGood benefits and OK pay

ConsYoung managers don't take the time to properly learn to deal with people.

the best

Call Center Supervisor (Former Employee) Montgomery, AL

Proslearned a lot in many areas of the company

Conslong hours when storm comes

Advice to Senior Managementgreat

CEO sets Company back 50 years

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsAlabama Power (APCO) has the best employees! We truly are a family and care about one another's successes (and failures). Working here I feel like I'm a part of something special, something bigger than myself.

ConsA couple of months ago the CEO mandated a new dress code policy for everyone working at Corporate Headquarters. Just those of us working APCHQ. This doesn't apply to anyone working at any other site in the Company, and didn't come from Atlanta (SOCO). Mandatory suit and or tie for all men and dresses or pant suits for women. I know of so many people that are now looking for another job. It may seem like a little thing, but this isn't 1960 and we don't work for IBM. It would be different if the air-conditioning or heater was set very low but its usually not. I'm only 25 and if anything companies are moving AWAY from stringent dress codes because a comfortable employee is an employee that works better. I'm looking for another job and I know about a dozen others that are doing the same. Charles McCrary needs to retire along with his outdated and outmoded dress code policies. Maybe he watches too much Mad Men.

Advice to Senior ManagementDitch the new dress code.

Alabama Power

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Birmingham, AL

ProsStable employment; family oriented company; friendly coworkers; we have several exciting initiatives underway that allow for challenging opportunities; competitive compensation packages

ConsIt seems as if Alabama Power lacks a good way of evaluating the quality and performance of employees. This seems to be reflected in some of the hiring decisions, and we often allow those who should not have been promoted languish in positions as opposed to rectifying the sitiuation.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek to ensure that promotional opportunities are more closely related to performance rather than relationships. Hold those who make promotion decisions accountable by linking a portion of their performance pay to the success of those that they have chosen to promote. This will help to ensure that past performance is rewarded because management will seek to promote the best of the best.

It is a tiny bit above average

Technician I (Current Employee)

ProsBenefits such as insurance and paid time off is pretty good

ConsThe pay is average or below

Great place to work

ProsGood company overall but not sure if sr management are all good and be able to keep up with the growth of the company. management can "talk" but can't "deliver" - meaning they can present and show a very good deck in front of audience, but in actuality, their deliverable and overall execution are so so or even very bad.

ConsSome know how to play the game and can continue to be dysfunctional. VP can cover for them and continue to allow bonuses and special perks alike.

Some claim they are very busy, have a lot of meetings, while accusing people who always working at their desk pathetic and "anti-social". In reality, they don't even sit down long enough at their cube to get to know the people around them, and how can they accuse people "anti-social"?

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to attend more latest management training. Be more inspirational.
    Do not let the company's overall "sales" impression affect your job.
    Do the work, do it more carefully and deal with the issues upfront.
    Do not socialize too much without spending time with your employees and do the work.
    You can't deliver just by relying your employees at work, or by going out partying all week.

Great place to work!!

ProsGreat benefits. Everyone is expectrd to show "Southern Style" which is great. Pay is fair based on comparable jobs. Union representation.

ConsCommunication from top down is a little slow. Bonuses need a little work for hourly employees compared to salary employees

Advice to Senior ManagementJust needs a little work. Communication with employees could improve. Information is passed on faster by employee's talking rather than thru management.

Worked for Alabama Power? Contribute to the Community!