Alameda Alliance for Health

Reset
Ingrid Lamirault

1. Working at the Alliance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Alameda Alliance for Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I really like our mission to provide health care. The company is always finding ways to improve care for it's membership. The atmosphere is very diverse and almost family-like.

Cons

There seems to be alot of gossip instead of staff asking the right people the right questions.

2. Great Mission but extremely poor execution.

I have been working at Alameda Alliance for Health

Pros

The desire and passion to assist the community continues to be at the forefront. The staff is caring and dedicated.

Cons

Management is so disassociated from the concerns and issues from the staff (GOD syndrome). Favoritism has played a huge roll in promoting individuals who are not qualified or prepared for a management position and now the organization and our members are paying the price. Forcing the implementation of a new core system without the appropriate testing and configuration expertise, has hindered services to our members, physicians and trading partners.

Advice to Management

Our management needs to listen and address issues being brought to them by staff. Our priority should be to continue to provide the best service to our community, not indulge in hidden agendas from consultants and sales reps. who continue to lead the organization down a painful path of disorganization and uncertainty. We must maintain our caring and talented employees instead of letting them go. Unfortunately continuing this pattern will lead to a negative image within our community, and ultimately our downfall.

Terrible place to work.

I worked at Alameda Alliance for Health

Pros

Nice area, clean next door to the raiders headquarters.

Cons

The amount of training time is a joke. Supposedly you have at least two weeks to train. Now the question is if your trainer is there and if not your out of luck, bye your fired.

5. I'm a Director at Alameda Alliance for Health

I have been working at Alameda Alliance for Health

Pros

People really care about the goal of getting the best health care to our members.
    The people who work there are great.

Cons

The company is financially challenged right now

Advice to Management

Make decisions based on reality, not what is wished for.

6. Good place to work

Current Contractor - Utilization Nurse in Oakland, CA
    Current Contractor - Utilization Nurse in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Alameda Alliance for Health as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

coworkers are great, and team is great

Cons

too many projects and unclear priorities

Striving for mediocrity

I have been working at Alameda Alliance for Health

Pros

This is a small health plan that administers government-funded health insurance programs. The small size of the organization allows you to gain a good overview of health plan operations. Since it is a not-for-profit that provides services to the underserved, it is more meaningful than working for a greedy for-profit health insurance company.

Cons

Senior management plays favorites. Double standards exist. This could work for you or against you. You can be the person who works hard, does all the grunt work, and not get noticed/rewarded or you can be the person who blatantly goofs off and gets promoted.
    Performance evaluations are subjective and not 360, as claimed. 360 means having people above and below review you, but managers are not assessed for their management abilities by their subordinates.
    Decisions from the top (both business and personnel-related) are made almost exclusively from "feelings." It is not balanced with evidence/data.
    Senior managers strive for mediocrity and do the bare minimum in all aspects. They will only do something to improve services or help members if forced to by law. If you are someone who strives for excellence or doing more than what the regulations force you to do, you will not fit in this organization.

Advice to Management

Look at the skill set needed for a position and assign people their role according to the skill set they have. Your friend may want a certain position, but may be ill-suited for it. Placing a friend in a position in which s/he is destined to fail is NOT being a friend. It is not good for the organization nor for the staff working under this person. No one wins. You may be biased and unable to honestly judge someone's skill set, so seek out the opinion of several people and look for hard evidence/past work to back claims.

Keep in mind that management is a skill and can only be assessed by those being managed. All those overseeing staff should be assessed.

Stop the double standards and favoritism in the organization. Don't base your opinions of others simply from the perception of 1 individual, especially when others have a different perception.

Put members first. Try to keep in mind the daily challenges the population the Alliance serves have, and do what you can to help instead of trying to get away with doing as little as possible. Other community health plans are doing much more.

Golden Age has long passed.

Former Employee - Senior Executive in Alameda, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Executive in Alameda, CA

I worked at Alameda Alliance for Health

Pros

The mission and service to the Alameda County community with underserved and under-represented health care needs.

Cons

Lack of understanding and sensitivity by senior leadership in the mission and staff morale. For example, a key senior exec would habitually be late for all meetings, leave early and be disengaged from the details or meaningful substantive operations of the organization. A real dearth of leadership and inspiration. Politically correct platitudes are offered instead.

The Board by design has conflicts of interests insofar as they also contract with the Alliance as health care providers. This has not worked in several important instances in the past as the Board has made decisions that harm the organization but help their individual interests.

Advice to Management

Look beyond simple cost benefit analyses in making decisions about your activities and investments. Too much favoritism, scape-goating and petty politics starting at the top. Be aware of perception as well as reality that many current and past staff feel this way.

Too often Senior Management has a self-serving outcome in mind, and it will manipulate an otherwise objective process to arrive at that pre-determined outcome. Senior Management has a shallow view of the organization's role and capabilities and it does nothing to engender loyalty among staff that goes beyond salaries and titles.

Good place to think outside the box

I worked at Alameda Alliance for Health

Pros

Important mission to serve the underserved in a culturally sensitive manner
    Ability to innovate
    Pay range is decent

Cons

There is some political turmoil within.

RSS Feed </> Embed