Alameda County Social Services

3.4

CEO

The upside

I worked at Alameda County Social Services

Pros

Philosopy of the agency, outreach to a diverse community, great supervisor, opportunites and the clientele.
    Benefits of being in a county position

Cons

There is often a great deal of red tape to deal with and sometimes upper management doesn't really understand the issues and there is a great deal of generalization rather then specialization.

OK benefits, meh management - hot or miss

Current Employee - Call Center
    Current Employee - Call Center

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Quasi-good benefits ($250 month copay),

Cons

Management - they hired outsiders to run the call center and what a mess! they have no idea what they were doing and it showed in the customer service...they needed trained professionals to answer questions - instead things were just made up . The new manager would actually laugh at distressed people/callers and their problems and make fun of them. We are there to serve and she didn't care -- only about how fast the call had ended. Sad state of affairs to have people giving callers the WRONG information specially when she takes the call. A tragedy and I wish I knew where to go with this information...

Take a look at the call center supervisors - listen to them take a call - they answer the callers questions incorrectly and are quite rude and disrespectful to them. I used to be proud to work there but the last two years have changed that. TAKE A LOOK. :() VERY stressful job - should offer regular counseling sessions to call takers -the callers are in dire straits - taking calls like that all day drain your spirit.

Overall great employer to work for.

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services

Pros

There are great opportunities for advancement and to move around within the organization. There are also great benefits and pay. Most positions receive salary increases on a step scale. Serving the public is rewarding

Cons

There are enough hours in a day. The job is very demanding yet rewarding

None

Accounts Payable Clerk II

Former Contractor - Accounts Payable Clerk II in Oakland, CA
    Former Contractor - Accounts Payable Clerk II in Oakland, CA

I worked at Alameda County Social Services as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed having a variety of duties. This kept me very busy and made each work day seem like a difference experience and challenging. And because I enjoy learning new things I did not mind being assigned or taking on new projects.

Cons

I liked all of the benefits. But I did not like having money deducted out of my paycheck, to pay part of the cost of the benefits back to the company, for the days I was not at work. (Which was rare).

You will have a happier staff when they are commented regularly for there work, as well as good advice and constructive criticism when needed. (With a smile)!

Good steady employment with variety

Former Employee - Social Work Supervisor in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Social Work Supervisor in Oakland, CA

I worked at Alameda County Social Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many jobs available for promotion.

Cons

Promotions to higher levels political.

Asians are poorly represented at Program Manager level and above.

Unprofessional Company Culture

Current Employee - Eligibility Tech II in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Eligibility Tech II in Oakland, CA

Pros

Medical benefits, deferred compensation plan, the ability to buy vacation time.

Cons

They have people in positions who are on a power trip. They get a little position and basically feel they can bully and target individuals who do not agree with them. The environment is one where individuals are discouraged for asking for help and sometime penalized. Also they are not there to help the clients they are there to see how many applicants they can deny as fast as possible.

Instead of micro-managing the employee take a closer look at those in management positions micro-manage them to see if they are giving the employees what they need instead of making vacation plans and plans to go shopping.

Hard work, hope you get a good supervisor!

Current Employee - Child Welfare Worker II in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Child Welfare Worker II in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good initial training, but more on the job training needed.

Cons

Many social workers need updated training for current best practices. Very depressing office space.

Flexible and supportive of continued education.

Current Employee - Clinical Case Worker in San Leandro, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Case Worker in San Leandro, CA

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services

Pros

Security of employment and competitive benefits

Cons

Too political as it relates to working relationships with outside organizations. Instead of client focused support it became please the outside organization first then focus on the client.

Ethnic diversity of management is necessary. Include a training succession program allowing more employees an opportunity to move up in management.

Meaningful work for low pay and little public recognition.

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services

Pros

If you wish your community were a more caring place, then this is an opportunity to create the change you wish to see. This program provides funding and administration for personal in-home assistance to disabled people, enabling them to live in their own homes rather than institutions. In-home support assistants make a positive genuine difference in people's lives, and they receive heartfelt gratitude daily for their services. Training is available to develop caregiving skills. Full health benefits are available for half-time workers. You have control over your own schedule. You can choose your own clients. There is plenty of work available.

Cons

The pay is low. Program administation is understaffed and can be slow to respond to and correct administrative errors, including pay and benefits problems.

Depends...

Current Employee - Child Welfare Worker II
    Current Employee - Child Welfare Worker II

Pros

Opportunities for growth and advancement once you've put in a few years, reasonable caseloads compared to other counties, clinical supervision provided (you have to pay upfront but get reimbursed), comprehensive training when hired.

Cons

Some supervisors continue to be of the "old school" mindset and are not up on current best and promising practices and new research. The Oakland office is extremely dismal and run down. The Hayward office, while newer is in a part of town with little around or within walking distance. Even though the work is extremely emotionally draining, the standard health plan (kaiser) does not offer ongoing, weekly therapy.