Alamo Rent A Car Reviews

Alamo Rent A Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson
Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

1. Rental Agent

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time

Pros

Great Work environment and plus

Cons

I like working there summers are great

2. Awesome

Pros

I love this job. Friendly coworkers. Great pay and hours. I wish I would have found the job sooner. You should definitely apply.

Cons

The only problem is that the discount isn't so great.

Advice to Management

No advice. I love this job

3. Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Makawao, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Makawao, HI

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn how to run a business. Very pro hourly employee. Depending on your direct manager can be an awesome place to grow. Tons of opportunity to learn customer service.

Cons

Not a lot of happy people in middle management. long hours and not much appreciation. Not much training either. Very high expectations with little reward.

Advice to Management

Showing the station managers appreciation would help motivate. Standardize your training and offer continued education. Be consistent.

5. Good place to start a long career

Pros

Great people to work with, amazing views, easy computer program and phone system, quick and easy advancement, fun and easy training

Cons

Management has a lot to be desired, job security, benefits, zero compassion, if your not upper management you and your ideas do not get listened to

Advice to Management

Learn to treat employees, you need separation between personal and professional life, no matter their title listen to the employees

6. Very straight forward

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Nice employees to work with and be around.

Cons

Gets really busy at times.

7. Decent company to work for

Pros

Decent Hours, Decent pay, great benefits

Cons

Shifts based on seniority, very little time for a life outside work.

8. Not the best but not the worst either.

Current Employee - Rental Agent in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Rental Agent in Portland, OR

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The thing I love about here are most definitely the type of people they hire, fun loving and out going. Awesome benefits but not so great base pay. There are chances for fantastic incentives as long as you work hard.

Cons

There are many types of managers here and it can become a bit stressful. It's hard working conditions ing some locations so be aware of that.

Advice to Management

Really listen to your employees.

9. Rental Sales Agent

Pros

Insurance benefit; full time. Commission.

Cons

Low hourly, no raise from.day 1. High pressure for you to make yield. Always short staff so you get burned out renting 40contracts per day...its a grind. Cheap rates to bring in customers where as an agent you need to sell sell sell...

Advice to Management

Raise the hard working agents..get more agents.

10. Former Employee

Former Employee - Rental Agent in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Rental Agent in Detroit, MI

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is such a great company to work for. I find working in the smaller locations is better than working in a larger location, due to the fact you can actually get a chance to talk to the customer you're helping and get to know what their needs are and what they're looking for in renting a car. It's an upbeat, fast paced environment that really takes a lot of sales skills and multitasking skills and the understanding of some pretty old (1980's) technology. The managers I've worked for have (for the most part) been some of the nicest, most outstanding people I've had the pleasure of knowing and they're always willing to help you when you need help. Since this company is linked with Enterprise and National Car Rental, you get to share the fleet with the other two brands and can always ask for help from the other employees as well.

Cons

Most of the time we were always short on people at the counter, (usually only 2 working) so when the lines got long we didn't have enough people to get through the entire line in a timely manner. We would constantly be out of different vehicle sizes and customers would come in and scream at us about it, when we have nothing to do with the cars. It's basically sales based job, and if you don't meet the sales quota each month you're subject to demotion, which is extremely terrifying when you're not great at sales. Some managers will push you (and the customers) way too hard to sell things to people that they don't want, which makes the customer upset with not only the manager, but the counter agent that is working. (If they don't want to buy it, don't force them to). There's really no way of growing within the company unless you have a bachelors degree. There were times as well where it's difficult to get ahold of a manager on duty to help solve customer issues or problems. There was also forced overtime that you couldn't say no to unless you wanted to be fired, so you'll end up working 70 hours a week (granted that's with overtime pay), but having to work until midnight when you have to be back in at 6 am just isn't an ideal working situation.

Advice to Management

Listen more closely to your employees needs and if they aren't making their sales quotas for the month, don't be so hard on them. The forced overtime is something that really should go away, because there should always be enough rental agents on duty to be able to cover the counter so the person who is supposed to leave can go home and prepare for the next working day.

11. It's a job.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Permanent shifts. A lot of opportunities for overtime, commission

Cons

Management could be better, Commission for hard sells could be better, overnight management can improve.

RSS Feed </> Embed