Alamo Rent A Car

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

It's a job.

Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Permanent shifts. A lot of opportunities for overtime, commission

Cons

Management could be better, Commission for hard sells could be better, overnight management can improve.

Former Employee

Former Employee - Rental Agent in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Rental Agent in Detroit, MI

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is such a great company to work for. I find working in the smaller locations is better than working in a larger location, due to the fact you can actually get a chance to talk to the customer you're helping and get to know what their needs are and what they're looking for in renting a car. It's an upbeat, fast paced environment that really takes a lot of sales skills and multitasking skills and the understanding of some pretty old (1980's) technology. The managers I've worked for have (for the most part) been some of the nicest, most outstanding people I've had the pleasure of knowing and they're always willing to help you when you need help. Since this company is linked with Enterprise and National Car Rental, you get to share the fleet with the other two brands and can always ask for help from the other employees as well.

Cons

Most of the time we were always short on people at the counter, (usually only 2 working) so when the lines got long we didn't have enough people to get through the entire line in a timely manner. We would constantly be out of different vehicle sizes and customers would come in and scream at us about it, when we have nothing to do with the cars. It's basically sales based job, and if you don't meet the sales quota each month you're subject to demotion, which is extremely terrifying when you're not great at sales. Some managers will push you (and the customers) way too hard to sell things to people that they don't want, which makes the customer upset with not only the manager, but the counter agent that is working. (If they don't want to buy it, don't force them to). There's really no way of growing within the company unless you have a bachelors degree. There were times as well where it's difficult to get ahold of a manager on duty to help solve customer issues or problems. There was also forced overtime that you couldn't say no to unless you wanted to be fired, so you'll end up working 70 hours a week (granted that's with overtime pay), but having to work until midnight when you have to be back in at 6 am just isn't an ideal working situation.

Listen more closely to your employees needs and if they aren't making their sales quotas for the month, don't be so hard on them. The forced overtime is something that really should go away, because there should always be enough rental agents on duty to be able to cover the counter so the person who is supposed to leave can go home and prepare for the next working day.

Meet people from around the world.

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a great learning experience. Lots of international travelers. Friendly co-workers. Management is huge on customers service. So you'll be OK as long as those scores stay up.

Cons

Alamo has people that have been there 20+ years, That have no room for advancement. regardless of how much they know. Employees have to train Enterprise managers, while taking orders from them . Pay at minimum wage with a quarter raise yearly.

Insensitive group of managers

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car

Pros

The benefits are ok.When it comes to managers speaking on your behalf to get things moving. Nothing gets done.It's horrible going to a job where you don't feel appreciated. Since Enterprise Gained Ownership We have been a sunken ship for some time. The moral Down.

Cons

WORKING IN THE HEAT NO FANS TO CIRCULATE. NO ENTHUSIASM

Have a bit more compassion for your employees. Have a listening ear and be willing to move on our concerns. Where is Undercover Boss when you need him.

Get whatever you need to get out of it and then run!!

Current Employee - Car Rental Agent
    Current Employee - Car Rental Agent

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working at Alamo, you work with a lot of good people...some of the best people I have met in my life. Also, the hourly wage is laughable but the commission can be really good during the busy seasons.

Cons

Management is horrible!! Supervisors are too busy sending emails back and forth all day to deal with customers or supporting their employees. If you want to move up in the company, be prepared to kiss a whole lot of butt your entire career. Management always takes the customer's side before their own employees.

Value your employees more!! We can be your best asset or your worst enemy.

Challenging yet rewarding

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car

Pros

Commission structure and consistent positive reinforcement makes working hard with peers as well as management fun and rewarding

Cons

Personally had a difficult time at times with the hypocrisy of the mantra sell with integrity sure to some of the coached sales tactics

Reward service equally with sales and do not reward shifty and dishonest sales tactics

Could be a lot better. Constant switch in managers since enterprise took over.

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car

Pros

Good co-workers, meeting people from all over the world, discounts on cars are sometimes good(rates go up and down like customers rates do), driving all the new cars.

Cons

The pay. Max pay is $11 an hour. The whiny customers who milk the company out of money because they know the system. Sometimes it feels like customers are treated better. No sick days. All the good managers hardly ever stay. Some of the bonuses suck. Management is very sneaky also.

Listen to employees more. Try to treat us like you actually care. Max pay at $11 an hour is ridiculous!

This job is not something you turn into a career

Former Employee - Exit Booth Agent in College Park, GA
    Former Employee - Exit Booth Agent in College Park, GA

I worked at Alamo Rent A Car part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The hours were always there plus overtime and the benefits were great @hartsfield-jackson international airport

Cons

The hardly ever promote, so much gossip and employees talking behind each others back, scandal between old boss and co worker and she still works there and fired him instead of both!!!

Give more opportunity for part-time to become full-time. Let some of those old people on the counter that get all the commission alternate with exit booth agents.

Highly recommended

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car

Pros

You meet lots of people, from all over the world. You definitely learn a lot on how to make quick decisions depending on the circumstances (e.g If the customer comes out for a specific car and we do not have it, quickly show them another one similar to, if not better, than the one they had expected). Benefits are good, too. It's not a bad job at all.

Cons

Not the best pay, and you have to deal with a lot of annoying and extremely rude customers.

Management COULD show a little more interest and 'caring' towards their employees; and it's nice when they 'have your back' when a customer gets rude to you, instead of taking their side and letting them disrespect you.

Just a job - Nothing More

Current Employee - Sales Agent Alamo in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Sales Agent Alamo in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Alamo Rent A Car full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a job, nothing more.

Cons

The training is no good. Management is just there to get to the next level, without actually making the job better, or trying to think outside the box. They just do what all the other car companies do, and don't try to stand out or be different than anybody else. It's almost like nobody can think for themselves, or don't want to. They would just prefer to do what the people before them did, and move on.

Stop worrying about getting a promotion, and try to make good changes to make the job better for the workers and customers

Alamo Rent A Car Photos

Miss Hawaii rents from Alamo!
Customer service is our way of life.

+ Add Photo