Alamo Rent A Car

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Alamo Rent A Car President and CEO Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Pamela M. (Pam) Nicholson

Challenging yet rewarding

ProsCommission structure and consistent positive reinforcement makes working hard with peers as well as management fun and rewarding

ConsPersonally had a difficult time at times with the hypocrisy of the mantra sell with integrity sure to some of the coached sales tactics

Advice to Senior ManagementReward service equally with sales and do not reward shifty and dishonest sales tactics

Get whatever you need to get out of it and then run!!

Car Rental Agent (Current Employee)

ProsWorking at Alamo, you work with a lot of good people...some of the best people I have met in my life. Also, the hourly wage is laughable but the commission can be really good during the busy seasons.

ConsManagement is horrible!! Supervisors are too busy sending emails back and forth all day to deal with customers or supporting their employees. If you want to move up in the company, be prepared to kiss a whole lot of butt your entire career. Management always takes the customer's side before their own employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees more!! We can be your best asset or your worst enemy.

Could be a lot better. Constant switch in managers since enterprise took over.

ProsGood co-workers, meeting people from all over the world, discounts on cars are sometimes good(rates go up and down like customers rates do), driving all the new cars.

ConsThe pay. Max pay is $11 an hour. The whiny customers who milk the company out of money because they know the system. Sometimes it feels like customers are treated better. No sick days. All the good managers hardly ever stay. Some of the bonuses suck. Management is very sneaky also.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees more. Try to treat us like you actually care. Max pay at $11 an hour is ridiculous!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This job is not something you turn into a career

Exit Booth Agent (Former Employee) College Park, GA

ProsThe hours were always there plus overtime and the benefits were great @hartsfield-jackson international airport

ConsThe hardly ever promote, so much gossip and employees talking behind each others back, scandal between old boss and co worker and she still works there and fired him instead of both!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more opportunity for part-time to become full-time. Let some of those old people on the counter that get all the commission alternate with exit booth agents.

Highly recommended

ProsYou meet lots of people, from all over the world. You definitely learn a lot on how to make quick decisions depending on the circumstances (e.g If the customer comes out for a specific car and we do not have it, quickly show them another one similar to, if not better, than the one they had expected). Benefits are good, too. It's not a bad job at all.

ConsNot the best pay, and you have to deal with a lot of annoying and extremely rude customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement COULD show a little more interest and 'caring' towards their employees; and it's nice when they 'have your back' when a customer gets rude to you, instead of taking their side and letting them disrespect you.

Just a job - Nothing More

Sales Agent Alamo (Current Employee) Honolulu, HI

ProsIt's a job, nothing more.

ConsThe training is no good. Management is just there to get to the next level, without actually making the job better, or trying to think outside the box. They just do what all the other car companies do, and don't try to stand out or be different than anybody else. It's almost like nobody can think for themselves, or don't want to. They would just prefer to do what the people before them did, and move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying about getting a promotion, and try to make good changes to make the job better for the workers and customers

Was a great place to come too daily

Reservations (Current Employee) Boca Raton, FL

ProsEveryone was nice and the job was very interesting.

ConsI would have stayed with the company if they had not moved

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your employees have to say like you would like the employee to listen to what you have to say.

It was a learning experience working for Alamo.

Car Rental Agent (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsI experienced group cooperation between co-workers and supervisory staff members during the time I worked for this company. They, the company, had a very thorough training pro-
    gram, from which I learned a great deal about the rental car business.

ConsDid not experience any negativity during my tenure at Alamo. I found their rules, regulations and work policies were very fair and respected and accepted, in my opniion, by the other em-
    ployees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSince it has been a while since I have worked there, I believe they must be doing the pro-
    per things in order to remain in business.

No room for advancement

ProsManagement is friendly and accessible. Most employees are very friendly and helpful. Good referral program and generous vacation/sick time.

ConsNo room for advancement or raises unless you have a college degree. There are too many managers and assistant managers and most don't know what is going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more consistent follow-up on promises made to employees. Need more advancement possibilities based on experience and ability.

Not a bad choice for first job.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, employee discounts. Camaraderie with your fellow workers.

ConsUpper management doesn't care about employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want quality people, pay quality salaries.

Worked for Alamo Rent A Car? Contribute to the Community!