Alarm.com Reviews

1. Dealer Support

Current Employee - Dealer Support Operations Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Dealer Support Operations Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work facility, wonderful people to work with.

Cons

Student financial aid amount could be increased.

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!

Best Company I have worked for.

Current Employee - Technical Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive work environment, staff are held to high standards, many little perks like free lunches, gift cards for inter-office competitions, beautiful office and a lot of after work happy hours and social events paid for by Alarm.com.

Cons

Some information is cryptic such as when/if we get raises for our annual review. HR says they are there for you to help you grow, but when I applied for a different position within the company, it felt like they were reporting everything I asked to the hiring manager of the other position. I didn't really feel like I could honestly ask what was on my mind.

Advice to Management

Open door policy doesn't feel very open.

Great place to work and learn!

Current Employee - Marketing in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com

Pros

Benefits package, laid back work environment, control my own schedule, working on cutting edge technology in a fast growing company, lots of social events. Learning an incredible amount as I work across departments and am looped in to announcements and executive meetings. Extra perks like flying the whole company down to Nashville, and watching the Washington Capitals from the corporate box are icing on the cake.

Cons

Can be stressful due to mis-communication at times.

Advice to Management

Manager reviews

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com

Pros

Smart, friendly people all around;
    Company retreat;
    Bootcamp for 2-3 weeks in DC and Minneapolis;

Cons

No cons at this time

6. Overall good experience but...

Former Intern - Intern in Vienna, VA
    Former Intern - Intern in Vienna, VA

I worked at Alarm.com as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is excellent People are always willing to help. Lots of room for self-direction. Even as an intern I was given a project and had to figure out how to get it done, or given a task and I had to come up with a deliverable.

Cons

The work itself just wasn't for me. I didn't like the cubicle atmosphere. Half of my time was spent just doing task work which became redundant. Also it seemed like my supervisor hadn't worked with interns before - he didn't always have work for us so it seemed like he hadn't planned for us to be there.

Advice to Management

Find less task-based, more project-oriented tasks for interns. I think the intern program needs further development.

Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fantastic culture, feels like working at a college library with your group of friends. Everyone is flexible, understanding, communicative, and fun to be around.

Cons

Work-life balance varies a lot. Personally, I have a great balance, but I know some people who work far more than I could ever stomach.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I feel like the company is a bit disorganized with its overall goals, and these goals need to be better communicated to the lower-level employees.

Can't imagine leaving this place anytime soon...

I have been working at Alarm.com

Pros

-friendly, intelligent and passionate colleagues
    -entrepreneurial and innovative culture
    -very work hard, play hard (most of the time this is a pro but not always)
    -associates can have tons of responsibility and impact right away
    -industry tech leader within home security and automation

Cons

-a lot of the typical growing pains of a rapidly growing tech company but really there aren't any major cons

A̶l̶a̶r̶m̶.̶c̶o̶m̶ Microstrategy 2.0

Current Employee - Anonymous in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Alarm.com, where your career comes to die!

Cons

What a dysfunctional, abysmal environment this place has become. Alarm.com is more like a prison atmosphere than a workplace. This was an exciting, promising, and challenging place to work. It’s now a hopeless, decayed and toxic place to work.

The lack of leadership and communication is now compounded across multiple departments thanks to the ceaseless importation of current and former Microstrategy personnel. No longer do we hire the best and brightest. Instead we hire the CEO’s friends and their former subordinates. Who needs morals or ethics when we can recruit VP’s directly from Microstrategy and then hire their former subordinates?

Under one department’s new leadership, subordinates are steadfastly encouraged to analyze our competitors’ products, copy their concept, rewrite it to fit our blueprint, package it for analysis and then call it our own! If the idea does get approved, it takes sooooooo long, you’ve moved on to something else, while others are given the green light and recognition for the work.

Under another department’s new leadership, the leadership mistrust towards subordinates is so atrocious, they are micromanaged and under constant supervision to the degree of control of attending a daily, hour long meeting, to detail what work they are doing and why.

Under another department’s new leadership, subordinates are pitted against one another for the same projects, but is usually given to their select favorites. Preferably someone who attended college in the northeast part of the country. No matter how hard you’ve worked on previous projects and dedicated an enormous amount of hours to it, the nepotism cycle repeats. Like our own internal civil war, those that have a degree from the northeast and those with degrees from everywhere else.

The HR department couldn’t care less about the discord brought on by the new Microstrategy hires and the conditions in which you must now abide by. HR threatens to let you go if you dare speak up about the unethical, harassing and bullying type tactics you are forced to succumb to. This should be expected, the HR director is also from Microstrategy and will always look out for one of her own, before doing what’s right for Alarm.com employees.

Meanwhile many dedicated, hardworking and loyal employees have been stripped of all but pride, are quitting or being forced out of their positions. Those being forced out are mostly replaced with Microstrategy personnel. Heck, some positions we don’t interview anyone other than current employees at Microstrategy, essentially guaranteeing them a position and wholly bypassing any internal promotion possibilities with current Alarm.com employees already doing these jobs. How’s that for honesty and integrity!

Advice to Management

It’s such a shame to watch this happen. How many more good people have to quit before someone will do something? Maybe this is the new way of life @ Alarm.com? Only time will tell…

Alarm.com: How to do things right!

Current Employee - Dealer Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Dealer Support Operations Associate in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Alarm.com has an amazing on-boarding program. The team couldn't have been more embracing in supporting my transition from my previous role. Colleges are dedicated to being the best in the world while having a great time doing so. Truly an asset to the industry!

Cons

At this time, there is no con's i can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, because it is working!

11. Good

Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Quality Engineer in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

Very interactive group, good work environment

Cons

I would probably say proximity of eatery joints.. not too many around