Alaska Airlines

www.alaskaair.com

Alaska Airlines Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014
Alaska Airlines – US – “A Flight Departing from Honolulu”

Alaska Airlines President & CEO Bradley D. Tilden

Bradley D. Tilden

Pros
  • The flight benefits was the best part of the job(in 13 reviews)

• I love the Travel Benefits of this job, the other flight attendants that I fly with, and all the exciting towns we go(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low compared to other like type jobs(in 6 reviews)

• Poor pay and horrible schedules all based on seniority(in 3 reviews)

Fast Paced, High Pressure Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of interesting people, great travel benefits, extensive route network can literally take you places you never thought you would go.

ConsVery high stress environment, with long hours and an expectation that salaried employees will work 50-60 hours a week most of the time. The airline industry as a whole is very competitive and cost-conscious, and Alaska is no exception. Do not expect great benefits / perks, outside of the travel benefits (which can be hard to take advantage of). Pay is generally below market when compared to other Seattle-area companies, but is probably in line with other airlines.

Great place to work - perfect for someone starting out in the workplace

Customer Srevice Agent (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsFlexible schedules, great health benefits, awesome coworkers

ConsThere are no glaring cons, I love this company.

I had a positive experience with Alaska Airlines.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe training from my position as a flight attendant was very complete and comprehensive. The groundcrew and the aircrews work together well as teams and it made the work so much easier.

ConsMy only complaint was that I was going to call and did not move up very much because they were not hiring so it was difficult to be on reserve all the time and have a personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a flight attendant on reserve it would've been nice to have been able to trade days off more easily. I also would've liked to of known my manager a little better.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pilot Scheduler

Pilot Scheduler (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWhat a wonderful job, great people and life/work balance. Time off policies are bid on and are based on your seniority, with that said it is easy to trade among your co-workers for time off.

ConsSalaries could be greatly improved! You are a union employee however the customer service union is very weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive preferential treatment for CSA's to convert to Flight Attendant.

It's a great airline to work for!

Project Management and Analytics (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood working environment, good colleagues, and good retirement package are big pros of the company.

ConsChange management is a huge challenge in this place with all outdated technology and also salary is slightly lower than other major airlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time upper management realized the need to update all their outdated technology on a periodic basis throughout the company to prevent future irreparable loss.

Quite "forward thinking"

Customer Service Agent (Former Employee)

ProsThis company is very pro-employee when it comes to providing for their employees. They provide many company resources for issues that arise in our personal lives. Many opportunities throughout the year to earn kudos and additional perks based I performance. Lots of training.

ConsLike all airlines.....the schedule is the schedule. So if you need to call in sick, or need an emergency family leave...you need to have the time in your flex-type account or you need to find someone to cover your shift. Attendance is the main priority for employment. But...it keeps the employees from being lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen implementing changes...run it by many employees to get their "ground level" experience to let you know what the change will REALLY impact down the line.

Great company!

Engineering (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people to work with, all my coworkers were friendly and loved having me there. The company itself has amazing benefits and a great outlook. The most friendliest airline in the US. Flexible work hours were a plus.

ConsThings can get down a little slow but they have a lot of projects that are being worked on.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Great company

CARGO (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAlaska Airlines is a great company to work for. Lots of opportunities to advance. Wonderful travel benefits as long as your flexible.

ConsFlight benefits can be difficult to use. Everything from shifts, vacation, & flight benefits are based on seniority.

Good overall

Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people I get to work with make it a great place. There is a large focus and passion on making sure everyone understands the importance of our customers. Most senior leaders have finally shifted from emotional to educated decisions, which has resulted in a lot of company growth and profitability.

ConsShowing leadership skills is often not a prerequisite to getting a leadership position. Little has been done to make changes based on previous employee feedback surveys, and no one has been held accountable for this. Few opportunities for changing roles or new development positions. IT systems are ancient and hold back most divisions from making some major changes to how they operate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the silos between divisions and take advantage of your employees to come up with better ways of doing things. You aren't expected to have all the answers, even though you act like you are suppose to. Spend some time getting to really know your employees and seeing how they contribute to the organization.

Work, work, work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) SeaTac, WA

ProsThe flight benefits was the best part of the job. It was nice to go visit family every month.

ConsFlying standby is not what it's cracked up to be. I like to call it "the lottery"... I still get stressed out whenever I'm at the airport from years of anxiety! For the position, the salary was horrible. The don't feel like I had a good work/life balance while working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're employees are playing too many hats and working far too much. Salaries need to be re-evaluated to match competitors.

Worked for Alaska Airlines? Contribute to the Community!